PDA

View Full Version : Insane Shipping Costs?

PowerTrike
04-14-2004, 08:11 PM
I just picked up a fender for a jeep cherokee on ebay for $9 + actual shipping from a guy with a lot of good feedback (100%) I thought what a deal, maybe $30 or so to ship and so did he. Just recieved this email. :confused: WTF? Has shipping really skyrocketed that much lately?

Hi,
I can hardly believe what they want to charge for a 19lb package! Ups told me
$118 and the two trucking companies told me $83.55 to go to a business address
or $25 more to go to a residednce. They say it's due to increased fuel costs
etc.. What do you want me to do?
Thanks,

Howdy
04-14-2004, 09:03 PM
The fender is most likely a real big package, thus they are charging for the size not the weight. It bites but that is how they do it.
Howdy

3 weelin geezer
04-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Hmmm... is it maybe 'oversize'? Man, for a price like that wheres it coming from, Elbonia? Do they ship it by real ship like an aircraft carrier to your door maybe? I would say that would justify the fuel price excuse. :confused:

TimSr
04-14-2004, 09:17 PM
It sounds like it exceeds the limits of oversize 2.

PowerTrike
04-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Its from Oregon to MN not Asia or something. I agree with it prolly being oversize but I checked on ebay and the exact same item from someone else is shipping for around $35 to anywhere in the US. Maybe the guy put it in a Huuuge box or something? I'll hafta check on that. Thanks for the replies.

Billy Golightly
04-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I know with UPS, Sometimes you don't have to use a box, depending on the item. I've shipped a couple frames without boxes. You just kinda bubble wrap things up, and then tape a name and address works on it. Might have the guy check into that too.

tecatecrazy
04-15-2004, 05:44 PM
for that price you could drive to Oregon yourself and still have a chunk of change left over. thats sucks man. I would see if he could unbox it and wrap it in bubble wrap instead

TimSr
04-15-2004, 10:17 PM
I know with UPS, Sometimes you don't have to use a box, depending on the item. I've shipped a couple frames without boxes. You just kinda bubble wrap things up, and then tape a name and address works on it. Might have the guy check into that too.

I too shrinkwrap frames but be aware that if you dont use a box of a standard shape, they charge an extra $5.00 for nonstandard packaging.

Mobular
04-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I was boned once due to an eBay seller not willing to break down a fork and tire assembly, nor cut off the trashed tire. He claimed that it was not worth his time, and that the $50+ shipping was due to the oversized and overweight packaging. Well, when I got it, I found the box to be 50% larger that it needed to be, and the goofball had packed all of his extra carpet underlay into it, adding greatly to the weight!

I swear some people must work hard at being jerks!

PowerTrike
04-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Got it down to $38 through UPS without a box. They make no guarantees that It won't get damaged and don't offer insurance this way but still its a lot cheaper than $118! Go figure.

TimSr
04-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Thats an easy one to figure. Shipping was $33 + $5 for non standards packaging. The guy originally had it in a box with dimensions larger than maximum allowable. Had he left it in the box, and cut the box down, it would have dropped another $5.