PDA

View Full Version : Getting screwed on shipping?

short4stuff
04-15-2004, 10:06 PM
23.40USD to ship a grab bar and a brake pedal and cable frome the US to Canada... using UPS standard ... there is a cheaper way I know it what is it??
USPS ?? or something like that like damn I thought i got a got deal figured you know probably like $15 to ship ... but damn 23. HOLY....

What do you say?

smokinwrench
04-16-2004, 01:15 AM
I just shipped a Polaris quad front rack and mud flaps to Canada last weekend. I sent it USPS (post office). It was sent on the slow ride 4-6 week delivery. It cost $ 20.80 to ship it and it was a big package.

ScottZJ
04-16-2004, 08:00 AM
I just shipped something just like that if not bigger with FedEx Ground and it only cost 11.49$ I think Fed Ex ground is one of the cheapest out there now, not even USPS can touch their rates.........peace

broook
04-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Did that shipment come accross the border?

chuck
04-16-2004, 08:08 AM
To avoid getting screwed on shipping when buying something. have the person ship the package with freight collect. i hate it when buying something and the person wants $50 for shipping when it only costs $10-$20. freight collect, you pay the actuall shipping costs when you pick it up. just went through this ordeal.

short4stuff
04-16-2004, 08:36 PM
ya but its going across the border wont it cost more?
also i think they are just doing that cause I wont the auctions for a low cost.

broook
04-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Before i bid on anything that will be comeing through customs I will e-mail the seller to make sure he will send it by regular mail. UPS charges for paperwork on top of everything else, customs duty, taxes etc. and it drives the price way up. I won a starter for $150 can plus $20 shipping. When UPS came they wanted another $80 before they would give me the package. I had a customer waiting for it so I had to take it.
It also cost me $28us for a $24 keyboard shipped from California. I could have bought it cheaper local at the regular price.
Bottom line. Check out the shipping before you bid.

twgranger
04-16-2004, 09:04 PM
That dosn't seem high to me. You have to figure it is being shipped to another country.

84250r
04-16-2004, 09:10 PM
I dont think thats high at all. With gas prices continue to rise through summer months there will be higher shipping prices,including FED EX.

short4stuff
04-16-2004, 09:19 PM
ok then i will pay it, but i know when i get it its gonna have like a $15 dollar shipping price on it. And what can I do can leave the seller - feedback cause then he does the same for me..... Thats the worst about ebay.
I dislike sellers that charge too much.

erussell
04-16-2004, 10:33 PM
When the package arrives check to see what he did pay, it should be on the front.
I don't think that the shipping he charged you is out of line at all, even if he charged a little extra, he does have to get a box, pack it well, drive to the post office or UPS drop off, etc. Shipping has always been expensive.

samster143
04-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Packing stuff up, materials, and the packers time... IS NOT FREE! There are limits on what someone should charge for this but Free it is not. I figure a packing fee anywhere from $2 - $10 is fair depending on what the item is. These people are not 'wharehouse shippers' Do you think they have an area in their house that is set up for shipping with new boxes stacked up, rolls of tape in stock, a popcorn hopper, etc? Packing stuff is a hassle and the sellers should be compensated for their troubles. This is my opinion and what I believe. No one likes to pay alot for shipping but it is a fact of life. How would you like to get your parts to arrive just thrown into a box with no packing material to cushion your parts? they arrive all beat-up and scratched with the box falling apart! That is free packing!

Mobular
04-17-2004, 12:28 PM
When I sell, I always include all of the incidentals in the opening price of the item. That way there's no "handling charge", and I wouldn't do that in the first place......

md1985250r
04-17-2004, 07:29 PM
what do you all think about a seller wanting to charge $7.00 to ship stickers??

broook
04-17-2004, 09:13 PM
[QUPacking stuff up, materials, and the packers time... IS NOT FREE! There are limits on what someone should charge for this but Free it is not. I figure a packing fee anywhere from $2 - $10 is fair depending on what the item is.OTE]

I totaly agree with you on that point but i believe the problem we are concerned with is the UPS prices ON TOP of the shippers handling and postage price that you don`t know about until the truck pulls up to your door. $80-00 on top of the $20-00 I paid the seller for a $150-00 starter motor is daylight robbery to my mind after you think you have it all covered.

packhamstruck
04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Ya it sucks getting it shipped up here to canada, i won all new white 350x fenders front and back, and figured it out that i saved about 50 bucks and they would be at my door step, so they finally showed, and 2 weeks later got a 38 dollar bill saying to cross the boader and duty, so i now saved 12 dollars, but it was still worth it since you cant get white up here, only red so i spent the money for the white.

ps the really kick in the ass was a week later i bought 2 sets of red 350x plastic for 50 bucks cdn, they guy didn;t know what they were for yet they said 350x, ATC all over them, o well you end up better off some times then others

Dirtcrasher
04-18-2004, 10:03 AM
FEDEX does have the best rates.

However, when I tried to ship a 250SX axle to CANADA it was almost 40$. The USPS shipped it for 22$ and it toook 9 days.