PDA

View Full Version : ***Foxfur bad wrist update***

Foxfur
12-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Hi all!
Been a while. Thanks Howdy for the guidance to get my ignorant trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro back onboard.

Whatsit been, like 6-8 months now that my wrist has been screwed up?
(remember: had a splint for months, then a cast 'cause in five Xrays they missed the broken bone for 2 months, then physical therapy, etc...).
I finally changed doctors, went to an orthopedic surgeon. Guess what, he said I need surgery! Big surprise, huh?
He said I have the worst case of DeQuervain's stenosing tenosynovitis that he's ever seen (he's been at it for 35 years!!).
Now they need to go in and cut open the tenosynovial sheath that the extensor and flexor tendons for the thumb ride in. My wrist has been screwed up for so long that the sheath has swollen to the point that it won't come down and must be surgically 'released'. Picture a 3 inch long piece of 2 inch diameter radiator hose. Now stuff two 1.5 inch rods through the center so the rods are sticking out both ends. Now try to move the rods independantly of one another. Doesn't work too well. That's what my wrist is doin'. They're gonna cut the "hose" (sheath) from one end to the other so from looking through one end, it would look like a 'C' instead of an 'O'. Then they sew the skin back up, leaving the now slit sheath in my arm. He says that scar tissue will grow around the tendons and make a new sheath. Recovery time is 2 months!
I can now write quite well with my left hand, as well as do electronics and other fine-motor skill activities. BUT, I am still rather sore about not getting more than about 2 hours of riding time in this year.
Dig this link, it has some cool movies of what they're gonna do when they hack my wrist apart:
http://www.medicalmultimediagroup.com/pated/ctd/dqt/dgt.html
Be sure to click on the "surgical release" link about 2/3 down the page, too cool.
Hopefully, I'll be trikin' to Vermont next Summer and would love to see some of the better trike riding areas in the midwest/north plains area and tilt (or spark) a cold (or hot) one with any 3WW comrades.
Thanks for your support,
Foxfur

jeswinehart
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
glad to see you are back on the board foxfur.
i remember,,, and after the graphic written account of what they are gonna do to you,,, well i 'll tell ya that there ain't no way i'm gonna click that link ! (lol)

john