PDA

View Full Version : ? about mes brds

YAMAHA_Jim
04-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Why are some words underlined, then when you roll the mouse over them you get an ad or info related to the word?

Billy Golightly
04-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Watcha mean Jim? Like when I click on your username and I get the links to your profile, PM, ect?

YAMAHA_Jim
04-24-2004, 01:56 PM
On one post the word "insurance" was underlined in yellow,then when i go on it I get a small box /w an ad to an insurance company.
In another post "banshee" was underlined and I got info to an online dictionary.
Today when i was on here I didnt see any words underlined. Maybe I have a special computer.I did have a virus last week that was putting pop ups and banners and stuff on the screen.Maybe it was b/c of that.
I thought it might be happening to everyone. ,,,No biggie.

Billy Golightly
04-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you go some spyware, do a web search for "Adaware" download that and run it and it'll clean everything off.

ATC crazy
04-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Ya...its something with your computer. I have seen nothing of the sort on mine or the schools computers. Although...there have been several strange songs that just randomly start playing for 3 seconds and then quit.... http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/uhoh2.gif

Wickedfinger
04-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Its definitely spyware ............ I use SPYBOT S&D, it works great.

cliff2302
04-24-2004, 04:42 PM
adware is a real good one too, just make sure you update whatever program that you get often

3 weelin geezer
04-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Do you Kazaa? I tried that one time and it had since loaded my machine with adware, spyware, and a few homepage hijackers. It still does after I wiped everything clean and started over but I guess I will never be rid of the spyware completely because it is built in to the recovery disks. I wish they had included the actual windows disks and the drivers seperately on disks from the companies that made the hardware. Oh well, I guess its just easier. I wonder if this has something to do with all those mortgage emails I keep getting.

Wickedfinger
04-24-2004, 06:56 PM
If you use Kasaa, you need to leave Gator and Gain on your machine when the adware remover sweep is completed or else it wont work. There are "cracks" out there that will make it work without it, but I have "Popup Blocker" installed and it cuts out 99% of Gators ad garbage. Jim, your problem isn't from Gator though - You have a Trojan spyware "virus" or something like it.

trikerider2oo7
04-24-2004, 07:12 PM
if you get kazaa lite like i have, you aint gotta worry bout ads.

YAMAHA_Jim
04-24-2004, 08:26 PM
problem fixed Thanx Billy
I ran adaware twice and everything seems to be OK.
I also just found out my Nortons antivirus is expired so I'm sure I'll go through this again until I get that taken care of.

no kazaa here, I havent d'loaded music since the free napster was murdered.

cliff2302
04-24-2004, 09:53 PM
adaware is a great program, free too :D :D :D