PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

catfishwhisker
12-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Allright guys, I need some help! I downloaded a stupid Red Baron airplane game and I can't uninstall it. It's got like 20 file icons on my desktop. I've tried to delete them but they keep coming back every time I start up my computer. This game is a MS-DOS game. I've even tried to move the icons to a different folder (to get them off my desktop) but they keep coming back. I don't know much about this MS-DOS crap. Please help.

Instinctz
12-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Well one way, goto Start, Settings, Control Panel. Then click on add/remove programs.

If its not in there it will be safe to just delete the file it is pointing to.

The best way is to find an uninstall icon if there was one with it.

To find where the files are located, Alt+Dclick on the icon to open its properties, then there should be Find Target Button, click it and there are the files it points to.

catfishwhisker
12-18-2002, 11:34 PM
It's not on Add/Remove programs. There was no uninstall icon with it. The files are located in C:/desktop. It won't let me delete the program. It say's that access is denied, write protected. I bet you have to restart in MS-DOS mode and uninstall it somehow, but I don't know anything about this MS-DOS. Very frustrating!

Billy Golightly
12-18-2002, 11:55 PM
Right click on the file you want to delete, click properties, and I don't know what version of windows your using but in there somewheres theres an option for "read only" if thats checked on un-check it. then try deleting it if it still says it. I know DOS commands but I'm trying to remember them... If I can remember before someone else tells you how to fix it I'll come back and tell you.

catfishwhisker
12-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Read only is not checked, only archive. I tried checking and unchecking everything, still nothing.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-19-2002, 12:03 AM
well access is denied because the program is open, or running, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and look for any names that are associated with the names of the icons, and click them and go to end task, if there is more than 1 of them running, keep doing it till they are all closed, then try to delete them..

hope this helps

-Jared

hrc200x
12-19-2002, 12:05 AM
http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm try that site for lots of msdos commands.

tboy795
12-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Depending on what version of windows you are running, you can go to run and type in MSCONFIG this will take you to a menu which has several tabs along the top of it. Click on the startup tab. From here you can pcik which programs start up when you boot your computer up. Find the files that are associated with the program you d/led and uncheck the boxes next to them. This will keep the programs from running and you'll be able to completely delete everything having to do with the game. By unchecking the boxes you should eliminate them popping back up next time you start your comp.

catfishwhisker
12-19-2002, 12:17 AM
It's not there either. I believe that it's running somehow, but how? Maybe it's waiting on a command. I saw that in the properties of the file, but how do I close it. I can't see that it's running anywhere. Damn this MS-DOS sh*t!

86waterpumper
12-19-2002, 11:54 AM
if you are running something like win98 where you have full dos mode, then boot to a clean c: prompt, and deltree the whole folder that the game is in. Can't remember if deltree command is on there or if you have to use a startup floppy to get it. Example....

C:\\
C:deltree c:\program files\redbaron

if you have something like xp or 2000 that won't do pure dos mode than try booting it up in safe mode, and whatever is running probably won't load and you can delete the whole folder that way. another place to check where things are starting up and to delete them is to type regedit at the RUN promt

and then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Run

if it's starting though msconfig should show it, it checks registry, start menu and .ini files

good luck!

ATCRYDER
12-19-2002, 06:53 PM
***edited*** :arrow:

86waterpumper
12-19-2002, 07:12 PM
??????

catfishwhisker
12-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Finally got it! Thanks guys for all your help.

hrc200x
12-20-2002, 12:22 AM
what did you end up doing?

catfishwhisker
12-20-2002, 12:28 AM
I finally went to Windows Explorer and found the files under desktop. DUH! It let me delete all of them there. I'll know if it worked here in a little while when I shut this thing down. I'm going to restart it and see if they show back up on my desktop. I don't know why it wouldn't let me delete them right off the desktop. Anyway, I ain't downloading any more MS-DOS games! Should've known better anyway.