PDA

View Full Version : Trailtech mounted on the Scrammy.

Wickedfinger
04-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I got this TrailTech Computer/speedometer/odometer in the other day and mounted it today. Its pretty much a heavy duty version of a bicycle computer and works under the same principals. The installation was pretty easy but required the drilling of a 3/8 hole in the lower part of the right side front strut housing in order to mount the sensor. One of the disk brakes rotors bolts was replaced with a special "magnetic" head bolt that registers with the sensor as it passes by. I then had to route the sensors cable through the brake looms and up, into the cab where I eventually wired it to the computer base dock which in turn is mounted on the right side of the handle bar. I soon descovered that the magnet in the bolt needed to be epoxyed in because it shot out onto the sensor when I gave the wheel a spin. After that, I had to dial in the tire size to the computer so it would give me the right speed and mileage. The computer is set to 22" tires as default, but the Polaris has 23" so I had to mark the tire and the ground with chalk, push the quad forward until the tire made a 360' rotation, mark the ground again, measure the distance between the two marks (@68") then convert that number to mm and imput it into the computer. The computer was a great ad on and works great. It computes - MPH/KPH, Miles traveled, has a programable odometer (you can start it at whatever number you want), Has a hour meter, fluid change meter, a maintenence reminder based off of the hours meter and a built in light. You can get a billet mount/protector for it, but it comes with a handlebar ring mount.

smokinwrench
04-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Damn, Wicked you sure are putting some cool stuff on that quad. :D

BigGreenMachine
04-25-2004, 01:48 AM
How much it set ya back $? Looks and sounds like a great add on.

TravEX
04-25-2004, 09:47 AM
i've had my trailtech for about a year and a half now, there are not accurate at all due to the variance of your tire size at different speeds, for instance, on my 400EX with stock tires on front I adjusted the tire size on the trailtech till it was exactly on at 55mph (with my GPS as a reference) but on top end it was 5mph off, the trailtech showed 64mph and GPS 69.5mph, at low speeds it shows up to 10mph faster than actual speed,,,the only way my speedo has been accurate is when i have my Kumho radials on the front because of the rigidness of the tire,,,the same was true on my buddies Scrambler when compared to the GPS, so he just adjusted his speedo so that it would be accurate on topend only,,,they are great to fool around with, and very precise not accurate,,,i mainly use mine for ride distance, and maintenance schedule for oil changes and valve adjustment,,,

what tire size number did you use on your Scrambler and i'll ask my buddy what his is,,,

Wickedfinger
04-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Hey Trav, how does it mount up on the 400EX?. Did it need any drilling?. It was like $79 from Offroad Plus: http://www.offroadplus.com/products. I cant remember the number I came up with for the size.

TravEX
04-25-2004, 07:50 PM
i got the Billet mount,,,looks great,,,i may have a pic somewhere i can post,,

Wickedfinger
04-25-2004, 08:44 PM
.... no I meant the sensors ...

TravEX
04-25-2004, 09:22 PM
fine, drilled a hole and mounted the sensor, no prob, been on there for about 700 miles through ice, snow, mud, sand, creek riding, etc...