PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Tractors

yater
05-04-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm looking into one and right now have it narrowed down to the John Deere 110 automatic and the Cub Cadet 1018 automatic. The Cub uses a hydrostatic transmission and the Deere uses a belt drive. Has anyone dealt with either of these? It would see a LOT of use so reliability is an issue. Before you say "nothin' runs like a deere," realize that both models use a Briggs and Stratton 17hp motor. The transmisson is really the only difference that concerns me. Thanks, Yater

firebird13601
05-04-2004, 09:39 PM
I personanly like the cub cadet with the hydrostatic drive, your speed is completlt variable unlike others that are to fast in one gear and to slow in another.

yater
05-04-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm really leaning toward the Cub myself. The John Deere is $300 more and the Cub seems to be the best for the money. I don't know much about that transmission but it's much more fun to operate. Do you know anything about the reliability of the hydrostatic tranny?

jeswinehart
05-04-2004, 11:16 PM
i have a hydrostatic bolens tractor that i got from a farmer for nearly free and being it was my first hydrostatic mower ,,,, i don't think i'll ever go back to the tranny type.
but what i wanted to say about motors is really more important ( imo ),,,
if you are doing any hilly mowing ,,, you might very well want to check into a motor have a oil pump verses a old type of lubrication system ,,,,,they hold up much better. that motor in your 2 types of mowers your looking at might very well be the pump kind vs the sump type ,,, just a little something to complicate your decission.

all our mowing at our mi. plant is off camber and we used to gernade a motor every 2 years ,,, or less ,,, now we don't with a motor will a pressurized oil system.

john

yater
05-04-2004, 11:20 PM
I screwed up the motors. The deere uses the kohler 17hp and the cub uses the B&S 18.5hp and the briggs uses the oil pump. Since I live in the Texas Hill Country, that's a good point to consider. Here is the comparison.

http://www.cubcadet.com/lawn_tractor_lt_1018.jsp

atckowalski
05-04-2004, 11:26 PM
I like the hydro the best.By the way, isn't it, Nothing runs like a queer? ;)

200xman
05-05-2004, 06:47 AM
I had an older Cub hydro all through high school tha I used semi commercially and never once had a problem with the tranny. Saying I was hard on it was an understatement. Wheelies, smoking the tires with the front end against a tree, launching a 16' boat and hard mowing never even phased it. My Dad bought the Cub used after our brand new John Deere went through 2 engines ni 1 season.

RacerRichie
05-05-2004, 01:51 PM
I have a hydro Wheel Horse from the 70's that still mows great!

Russell 350X
05-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Cub all the way ;)

firebird13601
05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
A friend of mine has a cub with the hydrostatic drive and has never had a problem with it. It has been very reliable

corndawg
05-09-2004, 01:22 AM
on the deere youll have to replace belts every so often...id go with the cub those are built alot better in my opinoin and with the john deere all your paying for is the name