PDA

View Full Version : The Positives & negatives of Polishing on a 2/4 stroke

ATCRYDER
10-03-2002, 05:26 PM
WHo here has experience with polishing? What are some pluses and some negatvies if any?> Does it run smoother but hotter?

Im thinking of doing it, I can do it myself, as Ive had experience before but dont know its really worth it on an ATV>

Thanks,
Rob

Kilborg
10-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro's
Looks flashy.
Might run a touch cooler (it's not enough to worry about).
No paint cost.

Con's
Takes your time.

Theres no reason to not polish parts on your case if you have the time and inclination to do it.

ATCRYDER
10-03-2002, 06:07 PM
we arent talkin parts polishing here, JB.

We are talking engine polishing; manifold for example.

catfishwhisker
10-03-2002, 10:19 PM
If your talking about polishing the inside of the manifold etc, be sure not to polish the intake. It has to have a rough texture to it. The exhaust on the other hand needs to look like a mirror. Just taking out all the casting flaws will help a lot. Just don't get carried away! You can mess one up in a hurry. Hope this is what you were talking about.

ATCRYDER
10-04-2002, 06:34 AM
actually-yeah, thanks catfish.

Could you elaborate more on the exhaust thing?

Rob

Kilborg
10-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Well, Catfish explained it...But...please, when your talking about polishing or something else that could be two sided, please be more specific.

catfishwhisker
10-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Well it really doesn't matter if it's a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke on the exhaust. The slicker the finish, the easier the exhaust will exit. You can go in the exhaust port and remove any casting flaws that are present and it will help. Like I said though, don't get carried away and remove too much. Leave that up to someone with a lot of experience in the field of porting. Just a little too much here and there and you'll end up with a bike that won't run worth a crap. Most all of your power gains will come out of the head( or transfer ports, etc. on 2-strokes). A lot of work can be done to drastically improve power and torque through porting. Of course, you need to tell the person that's doing it what kind of riding that you do, putting around, wide open, etc. For general trail riding, just a basic cleanup of casting flaws will do wonders, especially on a 2-stroke. Hope this helps.