PDA

View Full Version : Xr650r

Tman00169
05-11-2004, 11:52 AM
theres one at a dealer. new for like 4 something. must be a 03 left over. what i want to know. is this a good off road bike. yes i know this bike allready has proveing it's self wrothey in the baja. but what about tight wooded areas.? will this perform as good as some of the smaller bikes. like the 400. ? i ask this. cuz i put a thread already about the 400. but man i can get a big 650 cheper!! :eek: and what would i have to do to it to make it streat street-legal ?

trikeman
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
yea tman i know where there is one for sale too. One of my friends wants to get it. It's all he talks about... HEY i think you live kind of close to me, so mabey we can hook-up one day and go riding... When i fix my recoil that a friend screwed up. But anyway good luck with the bike.

Tman00169
05-11-2004, 08:43 PM
yeah i went and looked at it today.. its 4,599. for it. ... shur. trikeman. we can ride. think you can handle rideing with that big dog 650..lol.

TALLSUP
05-11-2004, 09:33 PM
guys for what its worth I had a 01 XR650R with all the mods and it sucked in the woods they over heat they are very hard to start when hot and if you dump it its even worse to start and they are heavy yes they did good in the baja but for the woods they suck, I even called Bakers XR only for help so after 6 months I sold it,me and all my freinds thought the same thing that the 650 was the king but after they all rode it they hated it and that comes from 5 guys that do alot of trails and hill climbing so I say dont buy it,the XR 400 is a lot better bike and if you want to street one try the
wr 400,426 or 450 I ended up with the YZ 426 and love it

yater
05-12-2004, 12:34 AM
I agree. I don't own a 650 but I've tried tight riding with them and it just didn't work. They are a handful at slow speeds on gravel, rocks, and watch out on downhills! Some people swear by them for dualsport (which I can understand) but not much of a dirtbike. I've seen guys make it work but they (the guys) were really good. The drz 400e makes a nice dualsport.

Tman00169
05-12-2004, 11:45 AM
hey what about the crf250X ??..

BigRedRunner
05-18-2004, 06:37 PM
GET IT! I think the biggest problem is that most people aren't used to a BIG machine. They're aren't the greatest in the woods because of their size, but I've gotten by just fine. The heating issue is a real easy fix, you have to shell out about $150 for some jets, intake boot, and silencer tip. These parts can all be bought from Honda. Going from a 65 pilot to the 68 and running something like Evan's coolant will put things right back in line. People think ATC250Rs or YFZs are fast, get on of these bikes and you'll laugh when you hear people bragging their "sport" ATVs. An uncorked XR650 will do 98 mph on the flat out. That scary enough?

About the only other issues I can think of on the bike is that the stock suspension is set up for about 165lb rider, so it'll probably need springs. Fork oil change would be a good idea too.

TALLSUP
05-18-2004, 09:39 PM
yo bigred I did all the mods to my 650 and it still sucked yes they have grear power but they are either off or on and for hill climbing they realy suck,what i realy hated was the weight they are just to fat and they suck to start when hot I have had alot of bikes and I just hated that one

BigRedRunner
05-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, it is a fickle beast :p . Did you try running a 1.8 bar radiator cap? I hear ya on it being hard to start. I usually have to hold the decompressor open and crank the hell out of it with the throttle open to clear it out. I'm a speed freak and love getting chased when I'm on it. I also like it because the fact its a powerhouse, aluminum frame, and liquid cooled. I'll probably pick up the CRF450X if Honda ever decides to make it. Just have to wait about 3 years or so until demand cools off. I think thats what happened on the 650r, they just made to many because they were so hot when they first came out. :rolleyes:

Tman00169
05-20-2004, 11:43 AM
will im looking at it this way. my scrambler is good in the woods and its a four wheeler. comparing that agenst a dirtbike. being that as it is. you would think it would be better in the woods. pulse that 650 sounds like one Heck of a power house.oooooooyeah. :D :Bounce :D

TALLSUP
05-20-2004, 09:57 PM
once again thr 650 sucks all around and my yz426 will run and hide from that 650

84250r
05-21-2004, 12:12 PM
once again thr 650 sucks all around and my yz426 will run and hide from that 650

i think YOU proven your point about the 650 sucking in 3 different posts now.

Tman00169
05-21-2004, 01:11 PM
(BigRedRunner)
"Yeah, it is a fickle beast . Did you try running a 1.8 bar radiator cap? I hear ya on it being hard to start. I usually have to hold the decompressor open and crank the hell out of it with the throttle open to clear it out. I'm a speed freak and love getting chased when I'm on it. I also like it because the fact its a powerhouse, aluminum frame, and liquid cooled. I'll probably pick up the CRF450X if Honda ever decides to make it. Just have to wait about 3 years or so until demand cools off. I think thats what happened on the 650r, they just made to many because they were so hot when they first came out. "

"GET IT! I think the biggest problem is that most people aren't used to a BIG machine. They're aren't the greatest in the woods because of their size, but I've gotten by just fine. The heating issue is a real easy fix, you have to shell out about $150 for some jets, intake boot, and silencer tip. These parts can all be bought from Honda. Going from a 65 pilot to the 68 and running something like Evan's coolant will put things right back in line. People think ATC250Rs or YFZs are fast, get on of these bikes and you'll laugh when you hear people bragging their "sport" ATVs. An uncorked XR650 will do 98 mph on the flat out. That scary enough?"

I think im going with BigRedRunner hear. don't get me wrong guys i respect all your replys. i will test it out frist befor i do anything. so far though i like this bike.

TALLSUP
05-21-2004, 07:05 PM
i think YOU proven your point about the 650 sucking in 3 different posts now.
yo 84250r I think that comment was un called for I just dont want to see him buy one and then be unhappy with it since I have had one, and have been ridding bikes for 20 years and gave it every chance and tryed every thing to make it wotk

BigGreenMachine
05-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I think the 650r's are great, so much motor. Problem is they work better in some aspects of riding than others. Desert, wide trails and as commuters but they suffer in the tight stuff. Go to www.supermotojunkie.com and check out the pics section, search for 650r and check it out, maybe supermoto will interest you. IMO its a great bike and you should get one.

Tman00169
05-22-2004, 04:12 PM
thanks BigGreenMachine i'll check that out.

Tman00169
05-23-2004, 08:19 PM
i just might get a cr 250. i still like that 2 stroke. that and the fact that there going out. 2strokes......na i still like that big 650.

BigGreenMachine
05-25-2004, 11:12 PM
lol, i like how u think, just like me...lol. decisions decisions...

Tman00169
05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
yup. hey thanks BigGreenMachine. true...decisions decisions............