PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda 250r First Impressions

Tails
05-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Welp after spending the first few days going over the trike, changing fluids, making sure all the nuts and bolts were tight, etc... I took her out for the first ride today. Now I race downhill mountain bikes so I'm familiar with th dirt but DAMN this thing's friggin fun!!! The first few runs were down the dirt next to the road out where I live. The speed limit is 45 and most cars do around 50 and I was passing them..:) Had one old lady going the other way and my buddy told me she was trying to hurry and roll her windows up from the dust cloud..:)

I figured what the hell when the tires hit the dirt I just laid into it going through the gears. Although I don't have the cojones yet to get her past fourth at full throttle. I'm sure it'll happen when I get used to it. One thing I did notice is the trike loves it when I throw my weight around it in the corners. Also gassing it when I exit the corners is really fun.

It looks as if I got a small gas leak right where the petcock screws into the tank. I've tried a new hose and a rebuilt kit for it. From the looks of it I might need a new tank. Anyone wanna sell me one cheap??? :)

Anyhow sorry for the long post jsut figured I'd share the enjoyment of the new toy.

Tails

cliff2302
05-12-2004, 12:54 AM
check your O ring that iseals the petcock to the gastank, that is mostlikely the problem. the gass dry's them out and they stop sealing. congrats on your trike, sound like you have enough cojones to do alot more stuff than most people do on their first triles. and you found out how to drive it on your own! throwing your wieght around is essential on trikes. i guess they call it body english. good luck with your gas leak

atcmatt
05-12-2004, 05:42 AM
throwing your wieght around is essential on trikes

Yep Very true! Except maybe on a bigred at slow speeds. This is the reason i love trikes, you actually have to move, not just turn the bars and give it throttle!

Glad your happy with your 250r, cant wait till the day i ride one :)

Matt

Tails
05-12-2004, 09:33 AM
I'd replace the gasket in between the petcock and the tank if I could get it off. It looks like one of the plastic tabs that you screw into broke inside the tank. When I turn the bolt I can see it spinning inside the tank. So I'm probably looking at either a tank someone can sell me or I'll buy a new one.

It only leaks when I fill the tank more than halfway. And since the trails are literally right out of my driveway no biggy right now. It's not this thing's a gas guzzler..:)

Tails

deathman53
05-12-2004, 08:57 PM
last year, I was racing cars down the road on my 250r(sorry guys this one is a quad), I was in a dirt parking lot accross from back parkinglot of the e-town auction, also was a pit back there and trails. I was starting out as I saw the car coming and I was going faster than it by the end of the parking lot, the road had a 40 mph speek limit and I was going from a dead start got some strange looks, would have done it on the tecate, but as usual it was down. there is a place where I used to ride in s. brunswick, that we rode next to the turnpike and it was wide open trail next to a fileld, we usually could almost keep up with the cars on the turnpike(we all rode dirtbikes) it was a blast. But with the trike, glad to see you love it. my 250r trike has a 330, you could imagine how fast that is, before you know you'll be running out of gear and looking for more. I run the mx track in 2nd, 3rd and forth. Hows yours not a gas guzzler, most people I know with 250r quads and trikes say they drink it and if they had a gas gauge you could see it move. Replace the tank, they can be gotten cheap.