PDA

View Full Version : Messing with clearcoat

BLAZERONE22
05-12-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a 88 4runner and just one fender has cruddy clearcoat, its starting to peel, has anyone messed with this before? Can I wetsand it down and recoat? The rest of the rig looks good, I really don't want to have to paint the whole rig.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
you could try wetsanding, although if your just trying to get rid of the clear coat alltogether, get some decent paint stripper, but it in a spray bottle (like a windex bottle) and lightly coat the fenders, wait a few seconds and then scrub off with a rag, if the first time doesnt do it, repeat, the trick is to not leave it on long because it will eventually melt the plastic.

YAMAHA_Jim
05-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Best thing to do is wetsand it(600 grit or finer) and be careful not to go through the paint. The new clearcoat will make the fender stick out like a sore thumb; but I guess thats better than old cracked clearcoat :)
good luck

mymint87
05-16-2004, 10:58 AM
if you take it to a body/paint shop they'll tell ya that the only way to fix it problem is to remove the existing finishes and apply a new base and clear.....

theres a problem with the adhesion between base and clear....feather sanding and re appling the clear wont lock down the existing clear or fix the prob and eventually the fender will continue to peal or what we call, "dog ear"

you have a few thing going for ya,

existing finish is still looking fresh so you'll have a good match (old with new)

you can remove the fender and do some or all the work yourself..if you cant paint it, you can still remove the existing finish, sand and let your local body shop do the rest, bringing them just the fender (already prepped) will save you some bank