PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Suzuki LT 250 Quadracer

hondaATCman
05-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, I just traded for a 1988 Suzuki LT250r Quadracer and it has a few problems I need help with. Ok, when you first start it (cold) it will idle fine but if you ride it for like 2 mins it will just shut off when it comes to a stop. The idle adjustment screw is all the way in. Next problem; it seems like it has a half-throttle rev limiter. When in neutral you can hold it wide open and it will just cut out and start whining like a waa-waa-waa-waa but you know, its not really wide open (not screaming), like its wanting to stay at half throttle and it smokes alot when its doing that. Its kinda hard to explain but I'm doing the best I can. :) It will do it all through the gears too, except for fifth and then it revs real high, then bogs down, then revs high, bogs down and repeats itself over and over. Right now it is runnnig a pretty much a straight pipe. The silencer is completely bare (all the insides taken out) and the end cap is off. Very LOUD!!! :D BTW, I got it like this. Could this cause not enough restriction resulting in power loss?? Could it be the reeds? It doesn't bog during the first half of throttle, just the second half and it has awesome accelleration. There is no popping during decelleration either. I'm ordering a new FMF pipe and silencer this weekend but need ideas to what the problem could also be. Thanks!!

TravEX
05-22-2004, 03:12 PM
sounds like a clogged intake or something, check the air filter, try running it with the airbox lid off and see if that corrects it, i had similar problems on my trike and it turned out to be a dirt dabbers nest in the intake tube going to the airbox and it wasn't getting any air,,,

hondaATCman
05-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I tried running it with the air filter off, airbox lid off but still did the same thing. The air filter looks clean and pretty new. Any other ideas??

firebird13601
05-22-2004, 09:42 PM
sounds like the carb,,,but try a new sparkplug

hondaATCman
05-25-2004, 03:57 PM
I found the problem. I took off the pipe and it weighed 15 lbs!!!! Completely full of carbon. I blew through one end of it and put my hand a little from the opening and could barely feel anything if any at all (couldn't really tell). I'm surprised it would even run at all. My FMF pipe and silencer will be here tomorrow and I'll be back ripping up the trails.

TravEX
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
let us know how it turns out,,,

hondaATCman
05-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Ok, I put bolted on my FMF Fatty pipe and powercore silencer and man it has awesome power now!! What a difference it is from a clogged up stock pipe!! I have to drill and retap the exhaust bolts though because the person who owned it before rigged up some kind of bolt (there are three places to bolt down the pipe and it only had one bolt in when i got it) and somehow it held up the stock pipe but it will not hold the FMF. Hopefully I'll get time to do that Saturday. Oh, I also ordered some Boyesen Pro Series reeds, but they did not fit. The guy I got the quad off of said it was an '88 model, so thats what I ordered the reeds for; come to find out that it is an '87. So when I get the new reeds in I'll tell you how much better they perform over stock.