PDA

View Full Version : Trimoto 125 Flashbacks

TimSr
05-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Since the whole weekends plans got all messed up due to weather conditions we decided to do a day ride yeaterday at a local riding place. TimJr wanted to get some seat time on his XR75, just recently being exposed to both 2 wheels and a manual clutch. This place was easy riding. I took my RT180, but also took the ALT125. After biking around the easy stuff for awhile I decided to take the ALT125 out for while and play. It tips and bounces just exactly like the old Trimoto 125 I used to have, which I affectionately referred to as "The Deathtrap". We went to the area with a bunch of small hillclimbs, easy stuff that TimJr normally climbs on his Raptor80. A bunch of guys on newer quads were there, climbing these little hills like it was major accomplishment. There was one hill a little longer, a lot steeper, and covered with rockes sticking out that they wouldnt climb. A sissy hill at best. I hit it with the ALT, and went up it with no problem. Now these guys are elbowing each other, and trying to shame each other into climbing. Being cocky and overconfident, I decided to hit it again to further shame them. Went right up a little faster this time, everything felt right until right at the lip the unsuspended front wheel hits a rock sticking out, and bounces up. Extremely short wheelbase + extremely light front + no suspension other than a bouncy tire + a rock to bounce off of + a little speed = backwards flip. As soon as the front bounced, I knew it was coming over, and I immediately experienced deja-vu of my 125 Trimoto days, suddenly recalling why I called it "The Deathtrap." I tried to grab the trike as I slid off the back and began riding the hill down on my back and arm, but it got away. Got skinned up a bit, exactly the same places (arm and shoulder) as I did the first time I rode my TriMoto. My almost mint conditioned cream puff trike suffered a broken headlight and broken brake lever. I should probably fix that stuff and sell it before I destroy it. Thats the bad part of having a really nice one is that they arent good for riding because of the potential damage! There's something to be said for having a less than pretty fully functional workhorse that you can ride the way trikes were meant to be ridden. Thats exactly why Ill never do a "restoration" on my Tri-Z until I retire from actually riding it. I should probably refrain for serious riding on the ALT in the future, but I sure do miss "The Deathtrap".

thehickfarmer
05-24-2004, 10:45 AM
well your injuries could of been alot worse, you could of broken something

Wickedfinger
05-25-2004, 01:22 AM
I hear ya Tim ... theres a reason why I sold my old 200S.

TimSr
05-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Henceforth, the ALT125 shall now be referred to as "Deathtrap II"!