PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my honda trx 125

bengriffiths
05-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Please help me with my honda trx 125
I have a 1988 honda trx 125,I bought it to fix up,it had a cracked engine casing on the left.So i put a new one on,and now theres no spark.I have put a brand new plug on,and tryed the old one,no luck.It might be the switch assembly in the magneto i think,i set it wrong,and the red light comes on in neutrel instead on reverse,put its trying to start,just no spark,and ideas anyone?
i tryed all the leads and wires etc,it worked before i changed the leftside engine casing

the bike is rolling in neutral and the light is red,when i changed the engine casing i must have set the switch asembly round so red and green are the wrong way round? does this matter? its trying to start,but no spark

atcmatt
05-29-2004, 08:41 PM
You must have swapped over the 2 neutral and reverse indicators when you put the engine casing back on. Put them back on properly and see if it will start then. If its indicating you are in reverse and your not maybe thats why it wont spark, it could have a saftery switch so you cnat start in reverse. I know the 200es and 250es have a safety thing that if you are in gear or reverse you cant start it. The only thign is that it wont even let the starter motor turn over at all...kinda weird that yours will turn over. Anyway jus tfix this wiring prob and got from there. Goodluck.

Matt

Howdy
05-29-2004, 09:09 PM
You must have swapped over the 2 neutral and reverse indicators when you put the engine casing back on. Put them back on properly and see if it will start then. If its indicating you are in reverse and your not maybe thats why it wont spark, it could have a saftery switch so you cnat start in reverse. I know the 200es and 250es have a safety thing that if you are in gear or reverse you cant start it. The only thign is that it wont even let the starter motor turn over at all...kinda weird that yours will turn over. Anyway jus tfix this wiring prob and got from there. Goodluck.

Matt

Actually on the 87-88 trx125 the reverse and neutral unit is 1 piece. It is possible the thing is turned 1/2 a turn off.

The possible things I can think of is:
#1 ) The wiring wasn't all connected properly
#2 ) The CDI pickup coil is bent back away from the flywheel ( I just had this problem on my 87 I'm working on ).

Howdy

bengriffiths
05-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Hi,thanks for your help guys,but whats the CDI pickup coil ? whats it look like? and the 3 wired from the switch assembly,i had to cut these to put another one on because my first one snapped,so maybe i got the two grey wires round the wrong way? also when i move the switch assembly round so the light goes green,it doesnt try to start,only on red,doesnt matter if its in gear either it will try to start,but no spark,will swap the grey wires round and let u know.

atcmatt
05-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Yes do swap them. That is your lighting problem. Id say the lack of spark is a completely diffrent problem mate.

Matt

bengriffiths
05-30-2004, 05:50 AM
I think i might have just got the caps on the lights the wrong way round,swapped em round,now green,no spark,what else could it be? i just put the old case back on and no spark too,im baffled

bengriffiths
05-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Right,i messed around with all the wires,and i got a spark,very weak one though,and it fired up,then it wont start again,and theplug is wet and black,oily too.Now i cant get a spark,any ideas? im getting there now

atc krazy
05-31-2004, 08:55 PM
yah u flooded it just clean it

bengriffiths
06-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi,i thought it was the pulse generator,so changed that to the original one,so its paired with the stator,and it started,ran great rode it,switched it off,and now now spark,why is it doing this? im getting sick of it,had it 3 months,rode it for 5 mins!
thanks guys