PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife close calls?

Seabass
05-31-2004, 08:20 AM
Anybody have a close-call with some wildlife they'd like to share? Was out yesterday and saw the following: 2 jack rabbites,1 beaver, and a huge buck. We were just getting out to the bush when buddy noticed these fresh buck tracks veering down this trail...so we honked on'er and tried to track it. Got to an open field and I looked to my left and there it was...nobody else saw it. I got to about 20 ft behind it when it veered off in the woods. Awesome. Almost ran over one of the rabbits...they are huge around here. Another time, about a year ago, me and a buddy were out about 1:00am, way back in the bush sitting at a pond. He was smoking a cig when we heard the loudest crashing coming from the woods right next to us. It sounded like a train barreling through the woods. So we satrt up and creep real slow by the side of these woods for about a 1/4 mile. We come to a 90 degree turn to an open field and, viola, at least 20 deer standing there! Talk about an adrenaline rush. We floored it. I''ll never forget the sight of those deer fanning out across that field - it was amazing. Buddy went left and I went right. I actually chased a doe for about 10 seconds...At one time I was right next to it..If I would of been driving anything but my 185s I would of tried to touch it...My front tire clipped it's back hooves a couple times... Needless to say we were pretty jacked up afer that. Raced home and woke people up to tell them about it... Seen lots of turkeys this year as well...but never got to close to them...

ATC crazy
05-31-2004, 08:23 AM
We see Coyote's fairly often near our house. When we first moved in, we saw a huge bear paw print in our yard

Bumb
05-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Um a bear on my deck at 6 am when i have to leave to go to school does that count. Or 2 cubs playing in a bucket of water on the side of my house. My dog chaseing a 300lb or so bear up a tree. that one amazed me.

Tails
05-31-2004, 02:02 PM
We have coyotes, jack rabbits, cattle, etc.., out where I'm at. I scared the crap out of a jack rabbit and it hit the rear wheel of the trike...:) It was just the other day I was out riding and there was a cow in the middle of the trail. Well I decided to hit the gas real quick to get it to move. Well to much my surprise this one must have been a lead cow or something cause about 15 others followed suit. Thank god for good brakes..:)

Tails

Russell 350X
05-31-2004, 02:46 PM
wow, alot of animals i have encounterd. i have even ran over a couple chipmunks.

hrc200x
05-31-2004, 05:05 PM
My cousin hit a rabbit on his wheeler, had a few close calls to partridges. Came up behind a moose on wheelers, followed it for probably 1/4 mile and it turned off. Funny thing about moose is they seem to stay on the road unless they find a better road or trail to turn off on.

Some of you might have seen this on the news about a year ago. A local lady here left her garage door open, I'm not sure if it was the next morning or later in the night she went out in the garage and got attacked by a bear.

PowerTrike
05-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Carefull about getting caught chasing animals with your wheeler (Illegal) Anyways I've had a lot of close encouters with animals too. I almost hit a fork horn buck with my Big Red. Always see rabbits. Few porkupines (thankfully never ran over run) Kissed 2 deer recently with my Cherokee (1 time going 70+) *ouch*

TeCaTe_MaN
05-31-2004, 10:33 PM
i was going down a gravel road on my 200x at like 50 mph with someone on the back...when all the sudden a doe jumped out and i almost hit it...it darted across the road...

i was like 8 feet away...if it had waited a second longer that woulda hurt

Ace Mon
06-02-2004, 04:32 PM
The closest call I have evr had was one while I was jetskiing . I was at this place called the mothball fleet . (Its a bunch of decomissioned warships that can be reactivated quickly) Anyway , Afriend and I were giong about 40-45 side by side and a Sturgeon about 4 feet long jumps out of the water straight up and flailng . I missed plowing into it and getting peeled uff of my stand-up ski by a mere 2 1/2 feet .

trikerider2oo7
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
my sister (driving) and her boyfriend (on back) were going down the road and hit a big dog with his 400ex. it killed the dog and sent them flying. skint them up pretty bad. i have never hit anything myself though.

atcmatt
06-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Out at our farm we go rabbit chasing at night. I have run over countless numbers of them. Usually it wont kill them directly so we finish em off. If the rabbit hits the diff or bash plate its usually gone in a split second. I always try to run over stuff, i try to hit cats foxes, i want to ram a pig but i dont wanna accidently go over the top of it because that would damn hurt, if i just nudge it itd be ok. But yeh mainly rabbits on my list.

Matt

renotrikeguy
06-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Has anyone run into a free range rock? Those things are everywhere.

Seabass
06-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Has anyone run into a free range rock? Those things are everywhere.

that's funny!!!...the viscious wild stump has bit me a few times too...

TeCaTe_MaN
06-02-2004, 09:26 PM
my friend was going up a small dirthill with a 185s and at the top he downshifted and the shifter caught up on a log and bent it around the footpeg...

trikerider2oo7
06-02-2004, 09:46 PM
i come flyin down a path once and hit a stump...rolled me clean over and i almost passed out waiting on my friend to go get help. thank god for my helmet

foster
06-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Man, you folks who intentionally harass, maim and kill animals with your bikes for fun need some serious professional help. Just mho, of course, but c'mon. What's next, someone's children? I hear they are pretty easy targets.

Anyway, now that someone has had the gonads to say that . . .
I've had the same experience with moose: they won't get out of the way until finally they decide there is a better path available to them and will often pass up perfectly good trails they could use to get out of the way. Rabbits galore all over the place, but I've never hit one. I've accidentally hit squirrels and chipmunks and had a sparrow fly right into my rear tire and break its neck. I had a coyote once that wouldn't get out of the way because I was on a dike (an earthen dam that keeps water out of marshland so you can plant the marsh with crops) that ran across a massive marsh and I can only assume the 'yote didn't want to jump in the water and so stayed on top of the dike, just ahead of me.
Every few months me and the boys take off on treks in the woods that last many days, hauling our tents, food and drinks with us for a week at a time, never seeing even a farm house until we leave the wilderness for fuel. Encounters with wildlife are common on those extravaganzas. I love it. But I don't screw around with bears. I even hoist my food and coolers up a tree with a long rope, just to avoid attracting bears.
Peace out. ..

eh_tee_see
06-03-2004, 03:31 AM
haha, whenever i fly my supercub up to go fishing around here i meet some bears by the creeks and rivers. usually i have my 12 guage but usually i just chase em off. the bears and all the other animals run rampant around here. my dog attacks the 900-1100lb bears all the time. brave thing.

1985 200s
06-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Killing or maiming animals for fun is just plain demented. An accident is just that an accident. I brake for all animals and do my best to avoid them. I feel sad when I do kill an animal. They are just going about there buisness having fun or gathering food for there family. Some people dislike certain types of animals because of a bad experience with a particular animal. Whether it be being bit or attacked or just plain trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro on the floor. Animals are just that and only do what they know. They generally attack out of fear not just to be an asshole. Domesticated animals will do unpleasant things from the lack of training by an owner that doesn't have the time needed to properly care for it. They should not own one. An animal is just that an animal and we are suppose to be human and that is what seperates us. I don't know how to catergorize a human that is cruel since even animals aren't cruel. They are not an enemy. People who kill for fun are socially weak or feel they have to have power by destroying something that is defenseless. That can't be fun. Nearly every serial killer was mean to animals and felt inept in society for one reason or another. Even to chase an animal intentionally puts unecessary fear into that creature for no logical reason other than sick self gratification. Not trying to start an argument just voicing my point of view. Peace Rod

Seabass
06-03-2004, 11:31 AM
I agree with some of what you are saying about harassing the animals....but if it's 1:00am and you ran into a herd of 20 deer, you're telling me you wouldn't chase them? Unless you're a Vegan, you are a complete and total hypocrite.

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-03-2004, 11:40 AM
maybe the way you were raised, or where you live, would make you think people who say they wouldnt a hypocrite, but people who have values and atleast some respect, would have the common sence and the decency to leave them alone, i see no point in hitting or chasing animals.. i've only chased one animal, and that was me chasing my dog who was running after a car on the highway, and i only chased him so he wouldnt get hit, and i grabbed him and rode with him on my shoulder back, the way i see it, there is allready not enough legal riding land, so why ruin the bit we all got by pissing people off and doing illegal acts, thats what causes most propertys to become "posted"

1985 200s
06-03-2004, 11:45 AM
No I wouldn't. I would observe them and may follow them if they didn't seem too alarmed which they generally don't unless you come roaring up on them. I would try and shine my light on them and check them out yes. I'm not a vegan.

foster
06-03-2004, 12:48 PM
I agree with some of what you are saying about harassing the animals....but if it's 1:00am and you ran into a herd of 20 deer, you're telling me you wouldn't chase them? Unless you're a Vegan, you are a complete and total hypocrite.
I'm not a vegan. In fact, as I've said on here before, I'm a hunter -- a deer hunter in particular. Maybe that's why I know the laws (harrassing animals is illegal where I live) and do what I can to avoid hassling animals. I stop at a respectful distance and observe them. I get a lot more enjoyment out of it than I would out of chasing them. There is almost always a camera in my pocket and I use it when I see moose and deer and beers and coyotes, etc... The stress of chasing the poor varmints could kill 'em and often does. And it sure gives others a bad impression of us trikers.
To each his own, but where I live it's illegal even to shine your headlight on an animal at night, let alone chase it, and I agree with that law.
If I'm a hypocrite for respecting both the law, the public image of ATVers and wild critters, then I'm a hypocrite. Though I think that's not quite the definition of a hypocrite. ;)

Seabass
06-03-2004, 12:51 PM
you don't want to chase it but you're comfortable shooting & killing it?...man, that's too easy...not even gonna coment.

1985 200s
06-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Harvesting a deer for sport and consumption is a respectible way of wildlife management. Although not all hunters are worthy of the destinction. I also hunt and only make good clean shots. I would never shoot when in doubt of a successfull hit. Not even if it were a trophy buck. Some may take a chance shot that may only injure and that is not right and not a hunter. Poaching or jacklighting is also unsportsman like conduct and not worthy of recognition as a repectable way of hunting. Harvesting deer through wildlife management is a way to control population to help lower accidents, starvation, and disease. It may not appeal to all, but I'm sure it appeals to more than killing or harrassing (traumatizing) for no other reason than trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro's and giggles. Peace Rod

Seabass
06-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Geez, it don't take much to get the righteous on their soapbox. Ask the deer what he would prefer: A little chase or a bullet through the heart? Don't even compare the two. As for wildlife management? Ever hear of Darwin's theory? Everytime you 'manage' wildlife you're "harrassing", or tampering with nature's plan. How dare you traumatize these poor deer in the name of 'management'? My god people, it was 1:00am , we were well lubed, and we rode into a herd of deer. This was in my friends 100 acre field which he bought with his own cash. It was his field - not the trespassing deer?(see how stupid this argument can become?) Don't even begin to tell me you would stop dead and take out your camera. Who are you trying to impress with this BS argument?

foster
06-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^^^

I understand that might seem odd to ya, Seabass, as it might to most reasonable-thinking people. But anything I kill I eat, and believe me, the animal I take for my supper will feel no pain because my shots are on the mark, or I don't take the shot.
No one can say the same thing about that six-weeks-old baby chicken that they ate recently that was stuffed full of growth hormones and other drugs and raised in a tiny cage, before being clamped to a conveyor belt by its feet, hanging upside down, before being gassed with the other 100,000 birds that it spent its short life with.
Check in at your local slaughterhouse or chicken factory and have a good look at how our suppers are prepared, then come back here and talk about hunting being cruel and how chasing animals on motorized vehicles and buying meat raised on factory farms (which is about 99.95% of grocery store meat) is far better than hunting.
I strongly suspect that before you'd even get to the gassing hut at a chicken factory, or the kill floor of the beef plant, you'd puke your guts out just from the smell. That's not a slap at you or anyone else, anyone including me would feel sick after seeing what goes on at *most* of those operations. I've seen it. It's probably one of the big factors in why I often kill my own food rather than pay the local grocer or butcher to assassinate it for me. Plus, I know what my meat has eaten all its life. I've seen what cows and chickens eat all their lives. No wonder 11 year old girls these days have breasts like Marilyn Monroe and hairy legs, and fertility clinics are a growth industry.
Seriously, think about it.
Compare an animal raised in a crate, stuffed with drugs for all of its short life, killed in a horrible manner before even reaching adulthood, compared with an animal living its life in total freedom before it is killed in a humane way.
I know which I'd prefer if I was a varmint!
(This is not a slap at commercial meats, either. I eat KFC like most anyone else. But the reality is, those birds don't have much of a life and end up with an even worse death.)

ejc042
06-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Gotta love the rantings of the ignorant and uneducated who only understand self gratification thru the discomfort of others, and yes I am a hunter and not an animal torturer

Seabass
06-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Gotta love the rantings of the ignorant and uneducated who only understand self gratification thru the discomfort of others, and yes I am a hunter and not an animal torturer

Seriously...do you really think they were tortured going for a little chase? Do you really think that? A little help here people...Can't fight the red'necks all by me'self.

ejc042
06-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes, actually it is torture. The trauma of a full flight run due to being that scared could cause them to die due to stress, and no I am not saying every animal dies because it is chased. Try watching a little bit of educational tv or maybe a book. Learn something new about nature.

foster
06-03-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm not fighting with anyone. Life's too short. I'm just stating my point of view.
If you think it's cool to chase animals, go for it.
Don't be surprised though when you find woods roads gated shut, game wardens on your trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and cries from the public for banning ATVs from all but their own properties.

Don't be surprised to find dead animals too, because it is a well-known fact that a critter can die of fright and/or exhaustion after just a short chase.
Some yahoos where I live enjoy chasing coyotes to death on their snowmobiles. I've watched them often. They chase them on marshland that is frozen over and extends for miles and miles, so there is no escape for the coyotes. After only a couple of minutes the coyotes start to run slower, then they collapse.
I HATE coyotes. But I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

And I'm a redneck because I'd rather kill my own meat instead of paying someone to do it for me?
:confused:

Seabass
06-03-2004, 06:26 PM
So your a hunter but I get "self-gratification' from chasing a few deer? Read that stament and think. Why do you hunt? To eat? Let me tell you a little something about myself before you start calling me ignorant and uneducated. I was the biggest hunter I knew of. When I was younger I scheduled my classes so I could hunt grouse in the mornings on my farm. I've hunted and killed (not 'tortured', not 'harrassed', but shot dead) everything that could be around here. Then one day I stopped shooting. I still went out, I still saw game but I just stopped shooting. Why? Because I realized there was enough food on my table and enough animals being killed to stock the shelves that I didn't have to mercilessly shoot something just so I could say "I shot it to feed my family". Go to a supermarket, go to a butcher, there's lot's of food there. Don't you get it? Why do you hunt? Whatever excuse you throw out can still be answered with the following - For 'self-gratification' right? - Whose gratification is it then? The deers?

Hypocrites.

But I believe the initial argument is this:

"Chasing them is more cruel, and they suffer more, than if you shoot them"

This is your argument???

Kinda like a 'pro lifer' murdering an abortion doctor...but I wouldn't expect you to see that irony.

BTW, I've been passing this around the office (I'm not uneducated), and we've been laughing hysterically. One of my buds here is an ex-nature narc. So far he's been laughing the loudest...

This thread should probably be closed. My intent was to share some close calls (no-where did I say I tried to run over anything. Quite the opposite. We sat and watched the beaver for 10 mins. Awesome little creatures...) because I do love animals. But the Politically correct, chest thumping, holier than thou types had to muddle it up. Sorry.

1985 200s
06-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Seabass, I did not intend to start an argument with you as I initially stated. My comments weren't actually directed toward you. More to those who intentionally chase to run over and kill for fun. I'm not saying your an animal hater or are ignorant. I don't think chasing a few deer is right, but also I don't think of it as that big of deal. It's those who say they pretty much run over what ever they can whenever they have a chance that get's my goat. I don't hunt just any deer and not for sustenance, but for large bucks only in recent years. When I first started hunting it was for sport and food. We saved money in the winter doing it. I shot one doe in my life and felt like it was not very sporting. I even took off from hunting for six years and only do it now to teach my son so he is taught properly. I will only shoot nice bucks now and still have reservations. In all honesty no matter what the views are I firmly believe left unchecked the deer herd would be over populated and create havoc. They would starve, spread disease, destroy crops, and create accidents. Starving to death has got to be painfull, destroyed crops would cause us higher than necessary food prices, accidents would take lives and cause massive increases in insurance costs. In Amherst NY they can't hunt and there are many lost crops and extensive motor vehicle deer collisions. The police there have a bait and shoot a couple times a year. They have shown starving malnourished deer on the news quite a bit in winter months. As I said I was stating an opinion and in no way intended for it to get out of control like this. Sorry to have offended you that truly was not my intent. I'm sure your an excellent person. Peace Rod

eh_tee_see
06-04-2004, 02:30 AM
haha, okay let me adress something funny.
Situation : You and a buddy are driving your 3 wheelers through the woods to your house. Suddenly, thou runs into a pack of deer in the middle of the way.

Reaction from a Northern American
You wait for the deer to move, smile and talk slowly and inadvertantly wave. Finally the deer move and you kick it into you limit of 3rd gear and return home safely without any more interruptions.

Reaction from a Southern American
You yell "Hey CHESTER c'mon lets chase these bastards back to there god-darned den!" You kick it into high gear and chase the helpless deerfolk back deep into the woods, you chase them for minutes until you run out of gas. "Damned machine" you curse, but you shake it off, dismount your vehicle and yell "c'mon chester I dont wanna lose the bastards!" You chase the deer for a mile until you collapse in a drunken heap on the tundra. Ye wakes up 1 morning later and realize you have been trampled and you only have 1 and a half legs. "And stay gone!" you yell as you begin limping home. God knows what happened to chester, but if hes still alive theres a six pack in the fridge that you would gladly share with him.

haha, just kidding by the way.

atc krazy
06-04-2004, 02:57 AM
i know u are some funny people this site is kool and afunny at some posts

ejc042
06-04-2004, 08:16 AM
I must issue an apology for helping take this thread off its initial topic. I just dont understand how people can think store bought meat is acquired in a humane manner.

foster
06-04-2004, 11:35 AM
So your a hunter but I get "self-gratification' from chasing a few deer? Read that stament and think. Why do you hunt? To eat? Let me tell you a little something about myself before you start calling me ignorant and uneducated. I was the biggest hunter I knew of. When I was younger I scheduled my classes so I could hunt grouse in the mornings on my farm. I've hunted and killed (not 'tortured', not 'harrassed', but shot dead) everything that could be around here. Then one day I stopped shooting. I still went out, I still saw game but I just stopped shooting. Why? Because I realized there was enough food on my table and enough animals being killed to stock the shelves that I didn't have to mercilessly shoot something just so I could say "I shot it to feed my family". Go to a supermarket, go to a butcher, there's lot's of food there. Don't you get it? Why do you hunt? Whatever excuse you throw out can still be answered with the following - For 'self-gratification' right? - Whose gratification is it then? The deers?

Hypocrites.
Dunno if you are addressing me, but I'll respond anyway. I hunt mostly because it takes me away from the office and what passes for civilization these days for a week in the deep woods in the fall. Me and my buddies haul an old trailer out into the woods which we live in while we hunt all day and party at night. Sometimes I even shoot a deer or a partridge or a rabbit. Why? Because they are delicious, not pumped full of drugs and fed ground up animal parts that spread disease in the human population and, perhaps the biggest reason, they are delicious! Dunno if that's gratification or hypocrisy or what, but I hope it answers the question.

But I believe the initial argument is this:

"Chasing them is more cruel, and they suffer more, than if you shoot them"

This is your argument???

Kinda like a 'pro lifer' murdering an abortion doctor...but I wouldn't expect you to see that irony.

Yup, I see the irony. It's quite brilliant, actually. You might even argue that a deer that I shoot is no more deader than one you've put into fright/flight mode and killed by it by overdosing on its own endocrines. My only point is that chasing wildlife on a motorized vehicle is illegal in most of this part of the world and is considered a lot more cruel by me and many others than an instantaneous death by a bullet through the heart and lungs.

BTW, I've been passing this around the office (I'm not uneducated), and we've been laughing hysterically. One of my buds here is an ex-nature narc. So far he's been laughing the loudest...
I don't think you are uneducated. I think you are misinformed. I also think your bud is an "ex" nature narc for a good reason if he thinks it's cool to chase wildlife on a trike.

This thread should probably be closed. My intent was to share some close calls (no-where did I say I tried to run over anything. Quite the opposite. We sat and watched the beaver for 10 mins. Awesome little creatures...) because I do love animals. But the Politically correct, chest thumping, holier than thou types had to muddle it up. Sorry.
I offer a sincere apology for my part in hijacking this thread. My intent was to state my own objection to chasing critters on bikes, not to damn you to hell, paint you as ignorant, call you names or anything of the sort.
But you are right, we've hauled the thread way off topic. It's the last you'll hear from me on the matter in this thread, but I'll be happy to debate anyone, any time, in the appropriate thread, on whether it is ethical, cool, harmless, legal to chase wild animals on a trike.
Yours in peace and harmony,
Foster

renotrikeguy
06-04-2004, 04:59 PM
I will just stick to chasing those "rocks" myself.. they don't seem to be affected by it in the least. Never seen a dead one in all my years.