PDA

View Full Version : How good is Engine Enamel spray paint??

hondaATCman
06-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey, I stripped my '87 250r Quadracer down to the frame a few days ago, sandblasted it and started painting today. I picked up a few cans of the Engine Enamel spray paint today (forgot the brand name, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) and started painting. The frame is black, motor a ford baby blue, yellow shocks, and a chromed radiator and other parts such as the gear lever, foot pegs, kick starter, etc. It may not sound like a good scheme, but it is awesome. The black accents the blue very well, and the chrome does the same thing for the black, the yellow shocks goes with the plastics and the blue motor goes with the hubs (the quadracers engines came blue stock) I'll get pics tomorrow. Anyway..to the question. How good is this engine enamel paint anyway?? I know it costs 4 bucks a can and I bought over $30 worth with the primer and clear coats but today when I went to set the shocks and motor in the frame to see how it looked the paint pretty easily rubbed away on the frame!! and this was after the paint dried overnight. Now I'm kinda second-guessing myself. If it rubs off that easy, what about the flying rocks and debris when I'm racing? I'm going to follow the instructions and let it cure for 5 days before I start bolting stuff back on and hope that helps. Anyone else have the same experience? BTW, sorry for the long post.

atcmatt
06-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Yo ushould definatley let it cure for as long as possible. When i do painting I usually like to let the part sit for at least a week before puttign it back on. Some things i puit ontop of the fire place and let the paint bake on.

Matt

smokeyhonda
06-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Try a halogen shop light the portable ones they sell are pretty cheap and put off some serious heat. I have sat parts in front of the light and let the heat bake the paint on, worked great!

PowerTrike
06-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes this paint needs to be cured. I painted the exhaust on my sled with the stuff and it rubbed right off even after a week until I ran it gradually so it wouldn't get too hot and then let it cool and repeating it over and over. You may have to do the same or just try a heatlamp like smokey said. I'm sure your quad looks awesome, lets see some pics!