PDA

View Full Version : ice tires

BigReds Forever
12-26-2002, 06:26 PM
what tires are good on ice? i belive 2 plys are the the best because there softer. i dont want to use screws or chains either. i heard someone say that chen shing nobbys were #1 but i would like other input my stryker 4-plys are just to hard and have no grip on ice (great for mud or deep snow though). my friend has originals on a 250es (a v dimond like patern) and they where much better but not reel good.

ATCRYDER
12-26-2002, 07:22 PM
You either have knobbies or you dont, thats really how it is. no tire is good on ice, or any vehicle for that Matter. Unless youve got a studded track on a sled(although some stock tracks are better than others from what vie seen) or studded tires on an atv, then dont plan on getting good traction on ice.

BigReds Forever
12-27-2002, 01:21 PM
well anyone got some 25-12-9 chains to sell me or a set of 2 ply nobbies?

Dan Tenn
12-27-2002, 01:43 PM
I got a set of tire chains off ebay over a year ago for $40 a pair plus shipping. I usually tow a 6X10 trailer with all my gear and buddys on the ice for fishing, and there a must if theres no snow cover.

OldSchoolin86
12-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Studs are cheap and I like them better than chains myself.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-28-2002, 09:50 PM
studs are lighter too, the chains make the rear end heavier....but i guess if you were doing it to like a big red or some other utility trike then i would use chains, but if you are gonna be driving fast and stuff...then go with studs