PDA

View Full Version : Saw a Street Bike Crash Yesterday

Jeb
06-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Yesterday evening after work, I had just left a bank I use south of down-town Ft. Worth in the medical district. I passed through a red light and noticed two crotch rockets setting side by side on the small street to my left, waiting for the light to change. I was checking out the bikes, as I often do, as I passed by through the intersection. One was a black bike with a white guy riding and the other was a red bike with black guy riding it. Well, I was about 50-75 yards past the intersection when I hear this loud crash and I look in the rear view and the first thing I see is this poor black guy, flat on his back, spinning in 360’s and sliding across the two on-coming lanes! In the back-ground there was blue smoke and pieces of motorcycle flying all over the place with the majority of the bike flipping end over end. And within the traffic behind me! All of this happening with cars everywhere. It was just unreal. He slid all the way across those two lanes and stopped by the curb. The whole time I’m watching as I’m stopping (decelerating from about 35 MPH) this guy seems to be gaining on me while he’s sliding! The way he was spinning and sliding and all the debris coming from that way, I was afraid the guy was dead. Anyway by the time he stops sliding he just jumps right up on his feet, kind of like he just levitated up and he ran out of the road and dropped! By this time the other motorcycle had raced up to him and people had stopped and were running over to help him. I didn’t witness the actual wreck and there was plenty of witness and help so I just resumed my trip home at this point. I would like to know what caused him to wax! He did have a helmet on thank God, but he had on a white tank top and long jean shorts! I bet the poor guy is hurting today. He was very lucky that there wasn’t anyone traveling in the opposite direction. The light a little ways up was red. And where he was sliding he crossed right over a bridge that goes over a small creek and railroad tracks and there would have been no place for a car to go if they couldn’t stop. I was reading the paper to try to find details of the accident but found nothing so far. I wonder if he lost a wheelie or someone pulled out in front him from another bank parking lot that's right there. Whatever happened he must have took off from that light like a bat out of hell. I see guys all the time riding hi speed wheelies in traffic, standing on the seat, weaving through practically bumber to bumper 40 mph traffic at 60 mph, pulling wheelies when they take off. Nothing shocks me anymore. The guys are nuts.

But that’s not the worst thing that happened in DFW Traffic Yesterday. When you measure what I saw against what these people saw. No comparison. This is sad:

Man throws woman from overpass, then jumps
By Mark Agee

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

An argument on a Richardson highway ended in two deaths Thursday when a man jumped to his death after throwing a woman off an 85-foot overpass.
Witnesses saw the man and woman arguing on the shoulder of the President George Bush Turnpike north of Dallas before they both ended up far below on southbound U.S. 75 at 5:25 p.m., said Sgt. Kevin Perlich, a Richardson police spokesman.
The man pulled the woman from their 2000 Mercedes, struggled with her and pushed her off the side of the overpass, Perlich said.
"She landed on the hood of a car; that car ran her over, and then another car struck her," Perlich said.
The woman died at the scene. The man was taken to Richardson Regional Medical Center and died a short while later, Perlich said.
Neither person's identity was released. Police had not confirmed their identities or notified their relatives, Perlich said.
Police were not sure of the relationship between the two or where and when the altercation started.
Southbound traffic along a 3-mile stretch of U.S. 75 was at a standstill as police investigated the scene until after 8 p.m. Several lanes of the Bush Turnpike were also closed.

x.system
06-11-2004, 04:43 PM
I've crashed my streetbike several times, each time has been at a dragstrip where we practice though, not on the street. I do those stunts and part of the learning is crashing. Most of the time its not as bad as it looks but sometimes its worse. Heres a pic of my last crash cought on tape at a 1096 stunt show in Muskegon Mi. We go to a few stunt shows and perform both here in Mi and in Fla during bike week but mostly we spend most of our time practicing. We do push the envelope and thats when the crashing occurs.