PDA

View Full Version : Computer Experts i need your help

2strokepwer
06-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I have a Dell computer with Windows XP Home Edition and Pentium 4 processor. I am getting pissed because i seem to have a problem with loading pictures. I have tried several digital cameras and nothing works. Every time i plug a camera it says "Severe risk, not compatible with Windows NT." What the hell is NT? Someone told me XP is a branch if NT. I have no idea what that means. Some programs will load but won't install the pictures. Again, i have no idea why.
Anyway, i need your help on thisa matter before i chunk this POS, in the nearest river i can find. My wife has more knowledge of computers than i do, so she will be reading any information you have on this computer matter. I am too simple minded to understand megabytes, gigabytes, lovebytes and all the other terms of computers. I would aprreciate any help.

Thanks
Jay

Billy Golightly
06-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey Jay,

How old are these cameras your trying to use? They may not be compatible (To old) to work on WindowsXP. Windows NT was a Windows made specificly for businesses. It was created to work better and go without errors longer then the home editions of Windows (Like 95, 98, Millenium, ect). Windows XP is built off of Windows 2000, which is built off Windows NT. That being so, some of the consumer end products that home users have do not work on the NT platform because it was designed for business use.

All present day camera have Windows XP support and shouldn't be any problem, but if your using an older one that could be the reason.

2strokepwer
06-13-2004, 09:59 PM
We bought this computer in March 0f 2003 new, if that helps you out any

TexFest
06-13-2004, 10:05 PM
NT stands for New Technology. I would also upgrade your XP Home to XP Pro because XP Home really sucks.

Like Billy said, your camera might not be compatible with XP or it could be that your camera just doesn't want to work with XP Home.

But anyway, after using XP Pro I would never want to go back to XP Home and have nightmares.

2strokepwer
06-14-2004, 12:30 AM
ok well the cameras i have tried all say they are compatable with xp. How do you get xp pro?

TexFest
06-14-2004, 12:40 AM
You can get XP Pro at Best Buy or any other store that sells computer stuff, Best Buy would be the place to buy it though because they usually have alot of copies sitting on the shelf. But you could also try other places.

XP Pro is 199 for the full version and 99 for the upgrade, if I was you I would buy the full version so that you could reinstall it later if you had to without having to mess with the upgrade disc.

You might want to try to find a forum for your camera brand so you can see if anyone has had related problems like you have had. You might could find out some hidden stuff about it.

200Xjapan
06-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Go to mirosoft (http://www.mirosoft.com) and check for updates for XP Home. You probobaly need a service pack or patch update.

Dads
06-14-2004, 08:52 AM
check here Jay

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=XP+camera+updates&FORM=SMCRT

Dads
06-14-2004, 09:00 AM
look here

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Product=winxp&Queryc=Camera+problems+with+XP+&Query=Camera+problems+with+XP+&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

86waterpumper
06-15-2004, 10:01 AM
In my opinion jay, plugging cameras to computers never works out very good. All it does is wear down your camera batteries while you transfer pics etc. What you ought to do is just get a cheap media reader for whatever kind of media your camera takes whether it be compact flash, smart media, etc (they can be bought for 10 or 20 bucks at the most) and you can hook that to the computer via the usb port, it will see it as a extra drive for example if you have just a cd rom which is drive d:, it would make the reader drive e:. There should be no software or even drivers to load, and it will transfer pics faster as well.

TimSr
06-15-2004, 12:10 PM
XP Home is the normal OS on most new computers today. While XP Pro is a better OS with added features, it will not likely solve your problem. I have yet to see a camera that will work on XP Pro, and not on XP Home. Downloading any updates from Microsoft is a good idea, but in addition to that, you really need to contact tech support from the company that provides the software your camera uses.
Other important points were brought up. XP is a descendant of Windows NT. Make sure your camera, and more importantly, your camera software is compatible with Windows XP. When peope asked about how old it was, you gave the age of the computer. More importantly, how old is the camera? If it works off a serial port, you may have to download drivers or even new camera software to use with XP if it will work at all. That would come from the camera software site, and is not a Windows XP problem. In general, USB port cameras are of a newer age group, but you may still have to use a camera software update. Its not likely an XP problem or a computer problem. It is probably a problem with your camera software.

350x'inNY
06-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Try seeing if there are new/updated drivers for your camera. I was amazed that my Kodak Camera (which wasn't supported for Windows ME) was able to download my Trikefest pics onto a XP Puter at work W/O installing any software!!!!

Bruce

eh_tee_see
06-17-2004, 10:47 PM
NT stands for New Technology. I would also upgrade your XP Home to XP Pro because XP Home really sucks.

man, there is no difference besides the color of the box, i've used both and theres not enough difference to spend 200 bucks on.

86waterpumper
06-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Haha there are tons of differences between xp home and xp professional. There are far more differences than the "color of the box" This site tells most of them http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

I agree that for alot of home users, it's not that important to have professional, but for power users, or computers at a workplace that have to log onto a domain, have remote features, etc, home edition is as worthless as 3.11 or 95 LOL.

ScottZJ
06-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Well all I have to say is home and pro are night and day. Just like comparing an apple to an orange. The only thing similar is they both grow on trees. Hince they are both operating systems and look closely simlar. Home is not networkable thru a vast area network. It seems to kick itself off many times during a week. I have found many problems when you run Home in a huge network and wouldnt advise it. Pro is so much more compatible with 90% of all networking and other hard/software situations. Now mind you this is my opinion but I also know cuz of the hands on experience.............peace

Trikemania11
06-19-2004, 02:14 AM
You might need to get a driver for Xp for your camera to work. The manufacturer that made your camera probably has a website to get it off of!