PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Help

UtahLugers
06-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Ok. I know people have shipped bikes and motors and such so I am in big time need of some help. I have a frame and motor that needs to be shipped to me and it is on a pallet (skid) and is ready to go. I just need to know who to ship with from Pennsylvania to Oregon. Its only about 155lbs and is ready to go. Please. Anyone with info please let me know. Thank you!!

smokinwrench
06-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Me personnally, I would have it tore down and shipped in 2-3 packages. Howdy sent me a Trizinger in 2 boxes for only $65 or so. Shipping gets very high priced if the package weighs over 70 lbs.

kevins750
06-14-2004, 08:46 PM
I ship and receive quite a bit of stuff......The best way to ship would be seperating the motor and frame and ship seperate.....UPS will take the frame, more than likely.....They take motorcycle frames for me all the time....Put the motor in a box or 2, if you can...And ship the frame the way it is....You could cover the sharp edges of the frame.....You can also use greyhound to ship....I have heard many people ship with greyhound....They are cheaper, but I don't have a depot in my area......Also I ship from work, we do our own paperwork in house....It is cheaper to ship business to business, if at all possible.....Kevin

smokinwrench
06-14-2004, 11:17 PM
My company uses greyhound to ship stuff all the time. I know it is cheaper then other shipping compnaies

TimSr
06-15-2004, 09:18 AM
I ship and receive quite a bit of stuff......The best way to ship would be seperating the motor and frame and ship seperate.....UPS will take the frame, more than likely.....They take motorcycle frames for me all the time....Put the motor in a box or 2, if you can...And ship the frame the way it is....You could cover the sharp edges of the frame.....You can also use greyhound to ship....I have heard many people ship with greyhound....They are cheaper, but I don't have a depot in my area......Also I ship from work, we do our own paperwork in house....It is cheaper to ship business to business, if at all possible.....Kevin

This is how I do it, and Ive done many. If you stick with a 155 lbs pallet, you will have to use a trucking company such as Forward Air or Yellow Freight. Standard ground carriers are limited to 150lbs, and also have size dimension limitations. Frames can be tagged and shipped via UPS without packaging, but I suggested taping carboard or something on anything that is sticking out. I shrink wrap mine, but its not required.