PDA

View Full Version : 225dx help

kap
06-24-2004, 10:43 PM
how can i make my stock 225dx get more speed and power with out spendin a ton of money

Wickedfinger
06-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Thats the question we all would like answered now, isn't it. The cheapest thing you can do to get more power out of the 225DX's, 12hp engine (if your riding conditions allow it also) would be to either take off or drill holes in the very choked up airbox's lid or top and replace the stock filter with a UNI or K&N and etc (with a pre-filter) to make the intake freer breathing. You will also have to "up" jet the main to take real advantage of this. All around you are looking at $17 for a Uni or $30 for a K&N and another $15 in Jets (you will need to buy at least 3 jets in several sizes larger than stock to dial it in). You could easily see a 2 or even 3hp gain by doing this, which would be very noticable on the trike. The first upgrade you really should do is invest in a performance Pipe / Silencer. You will see the biggest gain in power that way. After that you can bore the motor over and install a Weisco hi-compression piston for more power. I say overbore because I'm sure your stock bore is nearing the end of its life on that 20yr old machine. They do make a hotter cam for the 225DX motor still, although I don't remember who makes it right now (probably Web). While you have the motor apart, you could get it blueprinted and ported. Also, since the gearing is fixed on the DX because of the shaft drive, you could go with a lower profile 20" tire - that will give you a quicker accelleration but lower your top speed and harshen your ride. Good luck

kap
06-25-2004, 12:20 AM
so the first to easy things to do would be get smaller tires and drill a hole in the airbox.....should i buy s certian brand of jets??and were can i but a k&n air filter

Wickedfinger
06-25-2004, 01:49 AM
so the first to easy things to do would be get smaller tires and drill a hole in the airbox.....should i buy s certian brand of jets??and were can i but a k&n air filter

... well, it sounds to me the first thing you should buy is the Clymer service manual for the 225DX/DR and study it cover to cover before you go messing with that thing if you are asking a question like "what certain brand of jets?" (its carb specific). And another thing PLEASE DO NOT RUN THAT MOTOR IF YOU HAVE TAKEN OFF OR CUT HOLES IN THE AIRBOX WITHOUT CHANGING YOUR JETS RICHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. You can get a UNI or K&N airfilter from DennisKirk.com or Rocky Mt ATV etc.

kap
06-25-2004, 01:54 AM
were can i buy the service manuel at.......well thanks for warnign me before i mess with it

Wickedfinger
06-25-2004, 02:01 AM
The same places ... a Yami dealer should be able to get one for you too.