PDA

View Full Version : E-Ton DXL 90 troubles

camaro71633
07-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Im ashamed my first post here Is about a golf cart :( But my trikes dont break :TrikesOwn

Any how my little cousin has a E-Ton DXL 90 and it has some isues. The bike is really hard to start and once running it is really down on power. I have alredy cleaned the carb and put in a new plug but it didnt help any. This problem started after he had a friend ride it and he ran it threw some watter that was less then 2" deep. it keept staling out after that and hasn't been right sience.

Also if anyone can tell me what type and weight of oil goes in the gear case it would be really helpfull.

Thanks.

REDMAN225
07-04-2004, 11:38 PM
i'm no mechanic but i had a similar problem on my old cvt drive kodiak. the hose/clamp came loose and water splased in it. maybe some water got into the belt area(if it is a cvt) from an unsecured hose or clamp. check the entire length of the belt case vent hose.

TimSr
07-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Was this bought new or used? Has the low power always been an issue, or did it pop up the same time as the "hard to start" issue? Did you take off and clean the air filter assembly? In assuming so since you stated that you cleaned the carb, but wanted to verify that. Did you pull out each jet as well as the choke, and make sure you could blow carb cleaner all the through each orifice until it exits somewhere else? The pilot jets are famous for clogging in these, causing it to be very hard to start, as they like to start with no throttle. Also the electric chokes dont work very well. The default for the choke is in the choke postion. If you forgot to plug the choke wires back in, or there is connection problem there it stays in the choked position. This will rob all of your power after it warms up. While the choke is out when you are cleaning the carb you can test it, by noting its position, and then hooking up 12v to it from a battery charger or a battery. Leave it on there a minute or two, and you should see the choke extending maybe 1/4 - 1/2". When you disconnect the power, it will retract after a minute or two. There is a small heater "pill" inside that heats a coil like thermostat.

Also, does it start easier with the kickstarter? This can be a symptom of low compression. The kickstarter turns it over a lot faster than the starter. It doesnt have to be worn rings to give you low compression either. These came stock with a restrictor in the exaust where it bolts to the cylinder, which if run a long time caused excessive carbon buildup to the point the rings get stuck in the piston gooves.

The only thing in the case where the oil is goes 3 gears, and the oil just lubes the bearings so oil weight is not critical. 10w30 - 20w50 to a straight weight is fine. There is no wet clutch. The amount is marked on the case, and you will have to measure it. Its only like 100cc's, and yes that is correct. Its a very small amount.

camaro71633
07-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Yes the lack of power started the same time as the hard start. The bike was bought used but it was only 6mo old. I didn't completely disassemble the carb because I don't have a manual for the bike yet and I didn't know if I could re-assemble it properly. I thought when it first happened it might be the choke because sometimes it runs just fine and other times it wont start at all when hot. It is a little easer to start with the kick-start but only if it is held wide open and he starts going as soon as it starts. I guess I will go get a manual for it and completely disassemble and clean the carb checking the choke as I do it.