PDA

View Full Version : Tire Plys

350Kris
07-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm looking for some good trail/sport tires for my 350X. I like the Maxxis All Traks, but they are only 2 ply. Shouldn't a good trail tires be 4 or 6 ply for durability??? Does anyone have any info on the different plys. Thanks.

Kris

TimSr
07-06-2004, 07:27 PM
The All Trax last forever, and are extremely durable. In 8 years on my TRX250, I punctured one on a spike, 4 years later the guy who now owns it still riding on them with my plug in it. Ive had them for about 12 years on my TriZ, never punctured one, and still have great tread. I ran another set 4 years on my TRX250r, which are now on my Quad-Z, never punctured. My stuff doesnt get babied, and sees some pretty rough stuff. Most of my riding areas are very rocky when you get out of the woods. Dont let fears of durability rule out this tire for you. The ply rating has to do with number of layers and is not necessarily an indicater of thickness or durability.

Billy Golightly
07-06-2004, 07:42 PM
I got these tires on TimSr's reccomendation, let me tell you they are the best ones I've ever bought. I've ran a bunch of a different tires and for the woods and areas where traction is a must the All-Traks cannot be beat.

mike from long island
07-06-2004, 08:22 PM
i was looking for tires myself last month. i bought the all tracs for my 350x. couldnt be more happier. goes through mud with ease. i am not saying i make it through everythign mut they are nice. i good traction when we were drag racing too. i race them through the sand near my house one night and i dont know if i was drunk or in pain (front crashing into a chainlink fence) but they didnt seem to good in the sand. i will have to go riding there again sober. otherwise the tires i really want to get my hands on are stock kfx 400 tires. i borrowed 200xmans for awhile and they did everything. mud sand dirt the road lol but i still love my maxxis all tracs i would recommend them good luck ill send ya apic if you want to see what they look like on the 350x later

YAMAHA_Jim
07-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Holeshots!!!!!!! :)

350Kris
07-07-2004, 12:17 AM
How do they slide???......like on a trail when you need to kick the rear out a little....

TimSr
07-07-2004, 09:16 AM
How do they slide???......like on a trail when you need to kick the rear out a little....

They can be slid, but they dont slide easily. Youll find sideways traction is a valuable asset in serious trail riding that many other mud tires lack, but if a lot of powersliding is important to you, youll want to go with a flat profile, harder tire. Keep in mind, powersliding is just breaking traction, and you cant have both, so you have to how much in each direction you are willing to sacrifice. The Holeshots Jim mentioned are a popular medium, slide better, but less traction. Here we ride hilly, rocky, and wet woods, and the All Trax are super, but before I hop on the MX track I put my Turf Tamers on where lame traction - the ability to slide, is desired.

350Kris
07-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Just so you know how much faith I put into your opinions...I ordered a set of All Traks (22x11x9) today after I got done reading your posts. I have an R now so I'll save my power sliding for that. The X will be my trail cruiser all the way. Now tires for the R...hmmm....I'm thinking Kenda Knarly's or the OEM R tires.

Thanks for the help!

BigGreenMachine
07-07-2004, 10:18 PM
2ply tires can be very durable, all depends on the thickness of the plys. a thick plied 2 ply tire can be tougher than a thin plied 4 ply tire

skippy
07-07-2004, 10:30 PM
razr2's all the way... i run them on my trx's and couldnt be happier.. 6 ply is the way to go.. i ran holeshots mx on the track and lost 4 total in one season for sidewall tears, and then regular holeshots in the woods and lost 3 to sidewall damage also.. i switched to razrs2 and love them.. no tears in the woods, staying w the holeshots mx for the track, but thkin knarlys soon.. the new holeshots HD look very cool too.. w a great idea for the width and height..