PDA

View Full Version : LT250R possiblity

honda200
07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
I was thinking of trading my 1987 Warrior in on a 1988 (??) Suzuki LT250R

few draw backs on the 250R though

-kick start over warriors electric
-2 stroke, over warriors quiet 4 (well, was quiet till i piped it)
-dad is jelous because its faster then his quad (my warrior is too, whats the big deal?)

few ups though

-liquid cooled
-aftermarket parts readily available (warrior, havin some troubles findin some)
-2 strokes are easier to rebuild if i have to

Now, i was planning on phonin the guy up tommorow night and askin if he wanted to trade his 250R for my warrior, he is an older guy, going to say about 47-48 and, its probaly getting hard to start kickin over a bike, if yea know what i mean

so, do you think its a good idea?

My warrior is MINT, few scratches from a tree branch (it just appeared, honestly!) but has stock tires, so they aint the greatest.

Let me know

Curtis

P.S. I aint lookin for a why dont you get this? or go for a trike, I am getting a trike this fall, 200S i believe to fix up and sell, but, I am done with trikes for a while, quads are just, hard to say, but much easier to ride, but hey, we all have prefrances, and mine has gone from trike to quad, not saying I wouldnt jump on a trike again if I was offered ;)
:TrikesOwn

Curtis

Wickedfinger
07-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me without seeing them both to compare. As far as aftermarket parts go for LTR stuff ... they are drying up fast. I had both an '85 LTR as well as a '90. '85 - '86 were the first years. '87 was the first year for the powervalved motor and had enough subtle differences (mainly in engine porting and tolerences) from the '88 - '90 models to differentiate it as such. '88 through '90 were the same exact quad. '91 - '92 were mainly the same except for the wild safari graphics with blue camo seat, built in nerf/heal guards and a much simpler, non-cantilevered swingarm. The warrior while much slower and heavier, is MUCH more durable and reliable. The LT-R's were race horses and they had to be well taken care of. When you go to look at it, stand it up on the grab rail and look at the frame right behind the lower A-ARMs. LT250R's had weak frames and were notorious for bending from tree hits and crashes in that spot.

Heres a rather early pic of my '90 - I restored it from an $800 basketcase and sold it 2 years later for $2800.

honda200
07-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Thats a nice looking bike WickedFinger

Couple questions for yea now, lol

top speed? roughley?? how are getting parts? plastics and a arms and such?

anything besides the frame i should look out for??

Thanks!

Curtis

Wickedfinger
07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Top speed was always a little slower than the 250R out of the box. It was really because of the MX style gearing they came with from the factory but the power valve and factory pipe were tuned for this lower range power hit so that the two working together gave the machine a great low to mid power band that was perfect for the woods. Top speed out of the box was 65 mph, but change the countershaft sprocket (a very common upgrade that might have already been done to the machine you are looking at) and you are up near 70mph. Every aftermarket pipe I've ever seen for the LT-R alters the powerband north so you gain a ton of top end. Top speeds of nearly 80 mph are quite possible with gearing and a pipe. There arn't alot of companies offering pipes anymore for the LT-R. I know the old FMF gold series, LRD and DG will really give it the top end Hit - but - the best choice I've found is Dyno-port. It not only wakes up the top, but it keeps most of the bottom end power too - which made it perfect for the woods trails I rode and raced on. FMF's new pipe for the LT-R is its "Fatty". I would assume since these are MX type pipes, its a low to mid ranger now. I would also add a Boysen Rad Valve to it as well as a good filter. The rad valve will help the bottom end snap if you've bolted on a pipe and will give you a HP or two. Mild porting matched to a Wiesco piston REALLY wakes the engine up (I had R&R racing out of North Jersey prep my '90's motor) and it will up the horsepower another 5-10 easilly as well as raise your top speed potential. Unfortunately, the motors tend to be a little "fragile" and too much modding will make them grenade. Keep it to a pipe and a match type port job and it will be ok though. The water pumps are garbage on the motor and you will need to rebuild it every year or so depending on how many hours you run. The rebuild kit is only like $30 though. As far as anything else goes ... just make sure you stand the quad on end and do that frame inspection. They can bend the tail piece in a wreck as well so check that too. If the frame is bent .... well .... replacement frames that are in good shape are impossible to find so good luck. You can use it as "leverage" in dropping down the asking price (I know, you are trading). If it isn't that bad, you could have it straightened - but - I would also have whoever does it, add gussets to the lower A-Arm tabs and frame rails. Also, the rear shocks ALWAYS need a rebuild in every used LT250R I've ever seen, so check it for boing and be prepared to shell out $250 to rebuild it or $500 for a Works. As far as plastics go - you can still get them from Suzuki, but, Maier makes replacements in every color they carry - and they are ALOT cheaper than OEM.

honda200
07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks alot Wicked

I am going to give him a call tonight, after i convince my dad that it will be the better way to go

One more question, and sorry to keep bugging you, but how was it compared to your scrambler? faster? slower?

Curtis

Wickedfinger
07-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Well, a stock LT250R against a stock Scrambler 2x4 or Sport should take it in accelleration provided the rider knows how to shift, and beat it by about 10 - 15 mph on the top end. Now I used to ride my last Polaris, A '96 400L Sport that was at 57hp, Stage 2 performance (38mm TMX carb, AAEN clutch kit, AAEN 10hp pipe, Boyesen rad valve, AAEN trail ported, Weisco piston, Uni Filter) with a bunch of guys every weekend who all rode piped '88 - '92 LT250Rs (mostly FMF as I recall), and I would wipe them all up in drag races. We used to run a harescramble course and they could out handle me in the turns but I would sprint by them in the straights. You pit me against them on any kind of track race or MX course and they would cream me. A 480lb pig hasn't a chance against a 330lb racehorse no matter how many horsepower it has.

honda200
07-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks a bundle Wicked

Callin the guy in a few hours (about 7) and just tellin him that i am interested in his 250R and wanted to know if he would concider selling it or trading it for my Warrior

I know the guy really well, his son, a small engine mechanic repaired my old snowmobile a few times and he works with my dad, so i got to know him pretty well last year.

Wish me luck, hopin he will concider it

Curtis

honda200
07-08-2004, 10:17 PM
32:1
50:1
40:1

i heard that alot use 32:1 but i always used 40:1 in my sled

would be running high test gas (92 octane) and castrol super 2 stroke oil

Whats best?

Curtis

Wickedfinger
07-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Manual says 24:1 - but thats for regular TC-3 or better rated cheap oil. I would run whats recommended by the oils manufacturer.

mr4x42u
07-09-2004, 05:24 AM
its not a LT250r,,,Just Lt250 no R....
Don't mean to picky but My buddy has a lt250 and hates when people call it a lt250r..He get all bent because he is anti honda...

honda200
07-09-2004, 10:56 AM
ok, sorry bout that

I will ask the guy what he uses and pick up a manual, if he wants to trade in

Curtis

Wickedfinger
07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Suzuki made an LT250 utility for a while ...... but ..... the LT250R is a VERY real machine .... you and your friend are mistaken ... in fact, why am I even responding to this nonsense.

firebird13601
07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
keep the warrior, it's more dependable. Trust me i own one

firebird13601
07-09-2004, 06:37 PM
and it IS a LT250R

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Used LT250R 1500$ and up
Used TRX250R 3000$ and up

I know you didn't mention the Honda but I just like em lots!!

mr4x42u
07-12-2004, 03:34 AM
quote by wickedfinger,,,Suzuki made an LT250 utility for a while ...... but ..... the LT250R is a VERY real machine .... you and your friend are mistaken ... in fact, why am I even responding to this nonsense

I'd like to see a lt250R,,,I don't think zuki would take the r from honda..I did a search and never came up with a lt250r by suzuki...So if its nonsence then you know what the difference is between a lt250 and a lt250r?I'd like to know and see a pic..Ok mr nonscence (wickedfinger)your being called out...If its soo real ,should be easy to do...They made a lt230(I think was 2stroke) and a lt250 also a 2stroke..I'm sure they made a 250 utility quad but doubt it was an lt250 as that was not there quadracer witch you may be getting confused..SOOO if you calling a the lt250 quad racer a r you are mistaken..There was no r..just lt250 quadracer...but I will let you post up your proof of the LT250R... :Bounce

I think you are calling a lt250 an r because its a quadracer however suzuki never called in an r,,lt250 quadracer...But not a R,,you have been looking at too much e-bay where everyone calls them a lt250r so that it will come up in a search because the r is more popular then the quadracer..But anyway its your turn..Both the lt250 and 500 took the quadracer name and the others were just lt250 and so on..

Oh and sorry to HIJACk this thread but it happens.. :TrikesOwn

Wickedfinger
07-12-2004, 01:00 PM
quote by wickedfinger,,,Suzuki made an LT250 utility for a while ...... but ..... the LT250R is a VERY real machine .... you and your friend are mistaken ... in fact, why am I even responding to this nonsense

I'd like to see a lt250R,,,I don't think zuki would take the r from honda..I did a search and never came up with a lt250r by suzuki...So if its nonsence then you know what the difference is between a lt250 and a lt250r?I'd like to know and see a pic..Ok mr nonscence (wickedfinger)your being called out...If its soo real ,should be easy to do...They made a lt230(I think was 2stroke) and a lt250 also a 2stroke..I'm sure they made a 250 utility quad but doubt it was an lt250 as that was not there quadracer witch you may be getting confused..SOOO if you calling a the lt250 quad racer a r you are mistaken..There was no r..just lt250 quadracer...but I will let you post up your proof of the LT250R... :Bounce

I think you are calling a lt250 an r because its a quadracer however suzuki never called in an r,,lt250 quadracer...But not a R,,you have been looking at too much e-bay where everyone calls them a lt250r so that it will come up in a search because the r is more popular then the quadracer..But anyway its your turn..Both the lt250 and 500 took the quadracer name and the others were just lt250 and so on..

Oh and sorry to HIJACk this thread but it happens.. :TrikesOwn

.... like I said before ... total nonsense. I've owned Quadracers since 1989 - way before eBay was even anyones wet dream. I'm 90% sure the head stay VIN plate actually says LT250R on it. Hey maybe you should call Suzuki and let them know. Might want to call every aftermarket company as well to let them in on your revelation. Suzuki made an LT250 utility in 1984, the R was put there to differentiate the new Quadracer from it . I would also suggest clicking on the attached pic. I guess Clymer is wrong too. There's your proof J/A. Love this line too.
They made a lt230(I think was 2stroke) Yeah, you know what you're talking about.

TimSr
07-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda never made a "250R". They made a TRX250R and an ATC250R. Suzuki didnt infringe on anything by designating their Quadracer model an LT250R, (which was before Honda's TRX250R). Their Quadzilla is the LT500R . Makes sense? Yes, those were the actual model number designations. Suzuki never made an LT250 at all. They made an LT250S Quadsport (4 stroke) and an LT250E/EF Quadrunner. They also had an LT-F250 Quadrunner which I think was the utility. If you have any doubts, all you have to do is reference any parts catalog such as Dennis Kirk or parts website such as Partsfish.com for designated model numbers. Just like Honda used TRX on everything, so did Suzuki use LT, and used the suffix letters to designate which 250cc model they were talking about.

Wickedfinger
07-12-2004, 04:44 PM
.... heres a pic of my friends old death trap 1984 LT250E Quadrunner. More points proven.

mr4x42u
07-13-2004, 04:05 AM
Funny,,I looked at an lt250 last night and no r in the vin,,,Looked in the suzuki book also,,no mention of any R,,Just mention of lt 250 and 500 quadracer and quadsport both go by lt,, but golley,,no r,,clymer?,,just because they call it an r does not mean that suzuki was calling it that...Thatwas the point I was making..The r was added on as refreance but suzuki never called it that..It was adapted over time by the user but not the mfg..(suzuki)

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/10050294/Images/0892876085.jpg
wickedfinger,,,you are an idiot,,,funny how you were wrong in 89 as well,,I think your full of it,,, clymer I'm sure adapted the r much like the user did because it is easier to say then quadracer,and it sounds better.wicked finger you are a jack ass,,,hmmm,,,whats this could it be a lt230,,and an lt 250 quadsport.but look there is no r,,yea,,I know,,its not a quadracer but that was the differance,,its still called a quadracer,,the r was adapted by the USER..For someone who has been riding them scence 89 you don't know jack..

Timsr,,I don't think I need to go into to your comment,,You know as well as I do the refrence to 250r is usally known to be honda,,and yes the atc and trx is for quad and 3 wheeler but You don't need to put your 2 cents in for somthing the world already knows....well those who know there is no r in suzuki...But because the 250r is so well know people adopted it to the lt as well..

Well its been fun but like I said,,there is no r as suzuki knows it,and thats the way it was when there quads were built,,the r has been adapted over the years by the user but never given to the bike by the mfg..It is known as a quick ref point because it faster then saying lt250 quadsport and lt250 quadracer,,That the way suzuki put them out when first released and thats the way it is,,you can tell suzuki an r and they know its a quadracer but no mention of it in any of the books I looked in and no mention of it anywhere from the factory I looked...some moderators....Well at tleast the board is cool even though you don't have a clue what your talking about...kind of like when you other mod (nos350x)put his foot in his mouth by saying he didnt think I really owned my wheeler...I was just posting pics I found on the web,,he did not want me taking credit for someone elses work,,thats for being concerned...Great board but the mods need help..This was not a big deal,,but wickedfingers comments just prooved he is an ass..The only actual proof I have is coming from a suxuki book that was printed back in 1988 and thats what I base this off of..some old timers also said the same thing..The main reason for even getting into this was to clear up the r myth behind the suzuki..I realy don't give a rip anyway..It was somthing I learned over the years while into quads and wheelers,and I looked into it after my buddy gave me a schooling while on one of his anti honda spree....Nothing was ment by it till wicked fingers nonscence comment...I think lts are slow and a pain in the ass to get parts for and are not all that fast..The 500's while are much faster still seem to lack the reliablity that other quads have...But Thats why I ride hondas...Sorry for the name calling..I just got carried away with the arrogant mod mentality on this site...The know all mod who thinks everyone else is wrong.(I love this line lt230.)..whatever dude... :beer

short4stuff
07-13-2004, 08:08 AM
well why did you put that pic mr4x42u??
Thats a quad sport and has nothing to do with the quad Racer .... there's no R in the lt230 .... Yes yes there is in the lt250R ... its like the model letter .... i am sure the lt230 has a letter at the end but i dont know what it is. You know like the 200s 200e 200es etc .... there all different models ... and need different letters so you can differentiate.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/mmy.jsp;jsessionid=ROP2ZUP500NQZLA0WTKSM4VMDK0NKIV 0?redirect=true&catId=110&leafCatId=11007&store=Main&catMmy=true&make=54&year=1988&_requestid=4739

Looky here .... whats that say ? .... all the model letters after the # .... its so you can tell the difference.

short4stuff
07-13-2004, 08:10 AM
well why did you put that pic mr4x42u??
Thats a quad sport and has nothing to do with the quad Racer .... there's no R in the lt230 .... Yes yes there is in the lt250R ... its like the model letter .... i am sure the lt230 has a letter at the end but i dont know what it is. You know like the 200s 200e 200es etc .... there all different models ... and need different letters so you can differentiate.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/mmy.jsp;jsessionid=ROP2ZUP500NQZLA0WTKSM4VMDK0NKIV 0?redirect=true&catId=110&leafCatId=11007&store=Main&catMmy=true&make=54&year=1988&_requestid=4739

Looky here .... whats that say ? .... all the model letters after the # .... its so you can tell the difference.

theres the link ...

mr4x42u
07-13-2004, 08:27 AM
yea,,no trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro,,thats why i said this,,quote,,yea,,I know,,its not a quadracer but that was the differance,,its still called a quadracer,,the r was adapted by the USER..For someone who has been riding them scence 89 you don't know jack..

re read the post,,I said its not a quad racer,,the lt230 was a quad sport..that was my point between suxuki lt250 quadsport and quadracer..I think there was also a kink quad model also put out by suxuki..

he made it sound like they did not make a lt230...that why i posted that..

:beer

mr4x42u
07-13-2004, 08:32 AM

theres the link ...

I see the link,,I know everyone calls them an lt250(R) to establish the differance,,,My point is when the quads came out suxuki from the factory it was never called it a 250r...Its been adapted as a short form to tell the differance instead of listing the words quadracer...racer,,hence the R,,Yea,yea,,I know what you find it every where like that,,doen not mean its right....and AGAIN,,if you read my top post you will see I said suxuki never called it a 250r,,I didnt say that not whatthey are,,or that not correct,,That what it is,,its a r racer..I said suxuki never called them that,,I never said the rest of the free world didnt call them that..

mr4x42u
07-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Ok,,to clear it up and then I'm done with this dead horse..

the lt250 quadracer hence the R was not called a lt250r from suxuki.
the lt250 quadsport is different then the quadracer hence the lt250s

I know whats listed in aftermarket books and what everyone calls them lt250r,,I say it too instaed of saying quadracer..I agree its dumb..the r stands for racer,,there is a difference..I am saying when this quad rolled out onto the showroom floor its was not a lt250r it was lt250 quad racer..

Do you really think suxuki would copy the r from honda a competing quad,,no,,they added quadracer and it became known as the r..but suxuki never released the bike under the given name lt250r..that was adapted buy after market and the user..thats all..not a big deal..I was just pointing this out to captin nonsence..

http://www.vwbaja.net/public_html/Gallery/76538908/mr4x42u_pics/beatit1.gif

TimSr
07-13-2004, 09:34 AM
The R IS part of the model number, and your Clymers cover is referring to the LT230 SERIES, and the LT250 SERIES. If the LT250R is actually an LT250, why is not pictured or covered in your LT250 manual? That IS an LT250 manual, right? Why is the Quadracer not in it, if its an LT250? Call any shop and tell them you need a part an LT250 (or an LT230) and the first thing they will ask you is "an LT250 what?" How do you explain Partfish, Bikebandit, Dennis Kirk and every other OEM parts vender designating a suffix letter? Did they all just make them up too? Thank goodness they all came up with the exact same designations or there would be real confusion out there. A VIN is NOT a model number. There are chracters in the the VIN that correspond to a model number, but the model number is not in the VIN. You are free to continue to believe that any MFG would be foolish enough to asign the same model number to different models, but its well documented if you care to do just a hint of research with an open mind instead of blindly believing what someone told you. Youll find people will tell you a lot of things that you are better off looking into yourself. You are free to disagree, but please keep it respectful. My "two cents worth" makes a point that 250R is not a model number, but an abreviated one, which ws infact made up by users, and which people usually assume belongs to Honda because there are so many more of them. People usually refer to the factory assigned model number of the LT250R rather than abreviate it because they know people will make that assumption. But then agian, why am I wasting my time typing all this. If you dont believe the parts dealers, or the Suzuki website, you're not likely to be open to what I have to say. If its that important for you to be right, then Ill refrain from trying to convince you further, and maybe you can allow the rest of us in the world to be blissful in our ignorance without being "corrected".

Wickedfinger
07-13-2004, 01:15 PM
wickedfinger,,,you are an idiot,,,funny how you were wrong in 89 as well,,I think your full of it,,, clymer I'm sure adapted the r much like the user did because it is easier to say then quadracer,and it sounds better.wicked finger you are a jack ass

Wow, someones just itching for a 1 week ban ..... I havn't given one out in a while ...... yep, Done.

Wickedfinger
07-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Hey Tim, the sky is green. Whats that you say, no its blue?. Well, you're just plain wrong, its green - if its so blue prove it to me. Whats that you say, step outside and look up?. Hmmm, nope you're still wrong, its green. You say you have been a meteoroligist for 20 years and are a licensed pilot with over 10 million air miles logged and you say its blue?. Well, only the creator of the sky, God, himself can prove me wrong, its green. Whats that you say Tim, you have God on the phone and he says its blue?. Well, guess what you are a jack-ass stupid moron idiot whos full of it because I need to teach you moderators a lesson and berating you will always persuade you to see my point.

threewheelin-feelin
07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
i cant help it get a trike dude lol
:TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn

Wickedfinger
07-13-2004, 05:11 PM
... he would argue that its proper name is "Three Wheeler", not a "Trike" and that you are a stupid idiot for thinking that.

84250r
07-13-2004, 09:35 PM
They made a lt230(I think was 2stroke)

It was a 4 stroke. Make sure you "know" instead of "thinking" **rolls eyes**

honda200
07-13-2004, 09:58 PM
some of these people on here are litteraly STUPID

there IS a LT250R

there IS a LT250

there IS a LT230

suzuki DID call it a LT250R, no one "adapted" to it, they called it, straight from the FACTORY a LT250R

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT FOR NEXT TIME!!!!

short4stuff
07-14-2004, 08:52 AM
ok honda200 this guy had taken over your thread BUT ... did you get the lt250R ?? ...

honda200
07-14-2004, 09:34 AM
no, i ran into trouble with the warrior, starter went on in :-( so i am fixin it, and i am still looking into it, but not sure yet, i will keep you all posted

Curtis

TrikerR
07-14-2004, 10:35 AM
dude trailprotrailpro wrong...my unlce is a suzuki trained dealer here in aus and i just asked him and he told me that factory bought out the lt250R quadracer the lt250S quadsport this aint off his head either he went and got this staright ouuta the old files in his workshop.

everyone knows that your wrong, so y dont u just admit your wrong and go build a bridge AND GET OVER IT

Wickedfinger
07-14-2004, 11:16 AM
no, i ran into trouble with the warrior, starter went on in :-( so i am fixin it, and i am still looking into it, but not sure yet, i will keep you all posted

.... oh well, all this for nothing. Better luck next time.

honda200
07-14-2004, 12:31 PM
nope, sellin the warrior now

with new stator, new starter, complete look over by licensed mechanics

dont need nothin really, brakes are really decent, back one may need pads, but hey, thats no problem

3500 is what I am asking

and callin bout the LT250R tonight

Curtis

honda200
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.offroadhaven.com/ltquad_details.htm

yea, LT 250 R and LT 500 R

SpeedBump
07-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Suzuki LT250R in Action (http://members.toast.net/rhueladams/craigVSbrian.wmv)

The Green one is My T4. Yes, I won, but only because he bobbled off the line. Here is the actual timeslip for that run. I am #613, he is #260. This particular track is 600'. My quad hits 6th gear 25' before the finish line. There is lots more actual speed there, but I need to find it. Just for a bit more info, both machines have portwork, carb and pipe upgrades and have been modded for dragracing, but both are still very trailable.(put the shocks back on and raise em back to normal ride height first)
http://users.adelphia.net/~cinnamonlou/pics/timeslip.jpg

There is a Yamaha Warrior that runs at these races all the time. He has lots of mods done. For a Warrior it really flies, but still only runs about 55mph through the traps. BTW, I know this thread is old, but figured WTH.