PDA

View Full Version : you know I'm gettign sick of this

HemiChallenger71
12-29-2002, 09:41 PM
I like quads as much as the next guy, and I like 3 wheelers too, but I'm sick and tired of people asking us where or how you can convert a 3 wheeler to a quad. Is anyone else sick of people asking that crap? If you have a 3 wheeler you want to be a quad, sell it and buy a quad because the 3 to 4 wheel conversion kits are very expensive and look terrible. To top it off the kits are low quality. I guess maybe I should be a little more forgiving, maybe we need to keep this post pinned at the top to let anyone know how we all feel about this matter so they dotn have to waste their and our time asking us about it.

jeswinehart
12-29-2002, 09:49 PM
right on guy ! how's come we don't get any of the quad folks asking
" if i rip off the front end of my what-ever,,, what trike front end can i bolt up to it to make a modern trike" quistons ?

okay,,, you got me thinking about "up-dating" the mrs. polaris.

i better let that one alone (or to monster garage people )

john

tecatecrazy
12-29-2002, 09:55 PM
just out of curiosity... do you know of anyone who has converted a quad into a trike. I realize that the work would be very extensive but it seems like a he!! of an idea. :? ---Joe

jeswinehart
12-29-2002, 10:05 PM
no joe,,, i don't. i took a break after posting my reply and it was my train of thought as i got another beer. i don't think it would be that difficult. i am not the type of welder to do what i would think i would want done but know a couple of guys i would put my trust thier work.
i would lean towards starting right at the goose neck cuz i would want a little more rake then any stock machine offers ( even stock trikes also).

john

Kilborg
12-29-2002, 10:17 PM
This is a board for asking questions. If you want to rant on aimlessly, go to 3w.org. If someone has a machine, and wants to convert it to a quad, thats their deal. Your entitled to your opinion, but don't disown others because they want to convert a machine.

12-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Im waitin for someone to have an intelligent question like 2 to 3 ;0).....Ive love to see a 4 to 3 depending on the quad ;0) hehe

12-29-2002, 10:39 PM
and John----keep your paws off that Beautiful Polaris!!!! :D :D

TimSr
12-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Most people that ask, probably dont know any better, and giving them good intelligent information, with the basic facts of economics has always quickly enlightened anyone who ever asked in the past. If it were the same guy asking all the time, I could understand the annoyance, but when some guy who has never been on this board asks this question, and gets treated with nasty hostility and ridicule without any fact or basis other than having offended somebodys 3 wheeler worshiping religion, he probably leaves the sight permanently, with a view of trike riders that is not very favorable.

I would suggest that instead of getting nasty or impatient with them, you explain why you feel it would not be good idea so that they may learn something, and might even be pursuaded to adopt your point of view instead of creating another enemy. If this question is "a waste of your time", I would suggest you simply dont answer the post, and let somebody else do it.

If we are going to get nasty over "stupid" useless posts, Im sure we could find an abundance of them right here under this topic without having to limit attacks to the conversion question that pops up every couple of months from somebody who truly does not know.

Just my two cents.

HemiChallenger71
12-30-2002, 12:16 AM
My intention was to have the reasons listed below and have the post kept at the top of the forum. I understand and see where your all coming from and agree, maybe I came off in the wrong way with my first post...

TimSr
12-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Its not always easy to tell where somebody is coming from by written word.
A guy posted this question awhile back, and people jumped all over him, and were downright nasty and hostile, and I really felt bad for the guy, because nobody gave him a straight answer, but just attacked him. I remember thinking, "gee they sure won him over!". They guy has never been back on the board since, and its too bad. We missed an opportunity to bring in somebody new. Thats where I was coming from.

mscy2dog
12-30-2002, 01:12 AM
i know the conversions are to expensive. i thought maybee i could pick-up an older fourtrax rolling chassie and use the front-end or even put my motor in it. i'm begining to think maybee you boys don't know either. i was gonna ask you what you would take for the tires you have but you can keep them now.i'll bet i riding three wheelers and dirt bikes while you were spinning out your BIG WHEEL on the sidewalk.i could be wrong but i'll just about bet that that was your 350x for sale out on m-50 in monroe for sale. if it was you sure come down on the price.

Tri-Z dude
12-30-2002, 03:28 AM
how do i convert a 3 wheeler into a quad?
i would like to know
Ben

Big Darn Mike C
12-30-2002, 03:34 AM
hey how hard would it be to rip off the front end of my banshee and install a tri z front end?

OldSchoolin86
12-30-2002, 09:58 AM
A true quad to trike job would a painful experience. It wouldn't be too hard make a quad a trike but if you wanted it to handle like a pro, good luck. Some quads you'd have to relocate the motor just to get it right. I know a lot of you guys saw that banshee pic where the guy converted it to a trike. If you know anything about trikes you'd know it would handle like crap.

As far as trike to quad jobs go at least all you have to do is add on. This job takes a lot of work too and is more costly then just buying a quad.

Personally I don't blame anyone for getting hostile about this type of question. I think you'd have to be pretty inconsiderate to go to a trike-based site that mainly deals with the restoration of trikes and ask how to destroy one. I do a lot of projects myself and when I look for informative sites and forums I don't bust in one that's all about the opposite of what I'm trying to do. It just doesn't make sense.

TimSr
12-30-2002, 04:00 PM
Ill just add to OS's post for the benefit of those who really want to know.

Shortly after MFG's stopped producing trikes, quads had just become a real contender on the market. For numerous reasons, the price of used trikes tanked big time. At this time, there was no such thing as and old, used, cheap quad, because the performance quads had just entered the marketplace. (I bought my first TriMoto about 1990 for $300 because I couldnt afford a quad.) This was when "the deadly 3wheelers" were capturing all the headlines. A handful of companies offered "conversion kits" for $1200-$1500, to convert your trike into a quad. Installation involved lots of cutting and welding, basically putting a quad front end on your existing trike. When you got done you had a quad for less than the cost of used quad at that time, though quality can be debated. It made some sense then. In 87-89 trikes were not exactly thought of as relics of restoration which should not be defiled. Then a couple years later, Honda and Suzuki got the brilliant idea of discontinuing their 2 stroke performance quads in anticipation of extremely restrictive enviromental law changes (which never happened). The "new" 300EX was a pretty lame replacement for the TRX250R and we wont even talk Suzuki, and guys wanted a good 4 stroke racer, so they naturally looked at the 350X. This "conversion" usually invloved putting a 350X motor on a 250R frame, and it worked very well.

Why it doesnt make sense today, when you get past the emotionalism, is that for less than the cost of buying a trike and converting it into a quad, you can own one of each. Trike prices have risen greatly and old cheap quads are everywhere. The 400EX has filled the void that brought about the custom made TRX350x's. Simple economics.

People who usually ask about conversions most likley have not been avid ATV enthusiasts through the years, have remebered something about them, and are simply asking the question with no attempt to be malicious or disrepect anybody's "religion". Their lack of knowledge on this topic, would be a very good indicater that they are entry level, and a prime opportunity for the rest of us to bring them up to speed with good info and to get them into the sport.

Also Im curious as to all the definitions of a "conversion". I bought a TriZ motor for a project Quad Z, which will also involve some other TriZ parts (rear end). Is this a conversion? If a trike is totally trashed and the motor is good, can it be installed in a quad chassis? Wouldnt putting a CR500 or some other motor into a trike be "destroying" it? What about aftermarket stuff? Isnt the purchase of every USED part contributing to the destruction of trikes? Are we morally obligated to build an OEM trike around every spare part we find? AT what point, if any, is it ethical to "part out" a trike? I know I wont lose any sleep pondering these issues. If its mine, Ill do what I want with it, and its nobody elses business. It wouldnt be wise, but if someone wants to chop up their own trike to try to "build a better mouse trap", I dont see it as any sillier than putting $3000 into a $200 piece of junk to create a $1500 trike, no matter how nice it turns out!

HemiChallenger71
12-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Mscy2Dog, if your talking to me, no that wasn't my trike on M-50 out for sale. You won't see my trike out for sale unless it's over 50 degrees at night, and I'm home. I'm afraid of thieves around my house because of all the kids in the area who would be interested in something like that.

hondatrikesrule22
01-14-2004, 02:30 AM
I know its a little late to dig up this post,but my computer was crashed at the time,and I was going through all of the old posts and saw this one.Tecate Crazy,I am in the middle of grafting a 125m front end onto an '86 4-zinger,its starting to look preety sick,and I will post pics when the project progresses a little more.Oh yeah,this will be the first zinger you will see with a kick-start :twisted: .

jdparsons1
01-15-2004, 05:13 PM
just out of curiosity... do you know of anyone who has converted a quad into a trike. I realize that the work would be very extensive but it seems like a he!! of an idea. :? ---Joe

http://www.3wheeler.org/ReadersRidesSource_files/JBrown/JBrown.html

Drivernumber22
01-16-2004, 12:21 AM
there was some other guy who had I think a new raptor and turned the rear wheels into one...

How do y'all feel about someone taking off a wheel and make it a bike....

hondatrikesrule22
01-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Do you mean turning a 3-wheeler into a 2-wheeler,or what? :?

350Xccelerator
01-16-2004, 01:01 AM
kits were made to make the 85-86 into a 2wheeler, i saw one on ebay couple of weeks ago.

JT 250R
01-16-2004, 04:44 AM
Astro made the 3 to 4 kits, Missle made the 3 to 2 BT kit(250R fatcat lol),they do look bad tho...very ugly, I ride both trikes and quads and the Astro will definitly help a trike in the handling department

WTF does it matter to me if you convert YOUR trike....It Dont!! But I wouldnt do it...I'd just get a quad, I thought someone stated you could just buy a quad for the cost of the kit...very true, or at least enough to peice 1 together

If you just love your 250r ...but cant justify buying a quad...but want to race(say flattrack) it could be a possibility(most racks dont run trikes..very few do) but if you wanted to race mx...ya better just get the quad or build 1,

Regardless...to each his own...

Drivernumber22
01-16-2004, 12:18 PM

yes

hondatrikesrule22
01-17-2004, 07:28 PM
There is a picture of a 250r with a missile kit here on 3ww.It is under not quite trikes,honda fat cat.That 250r looks sweet. :-D

YAMAHA_Jim
01-22-2004, 07:46 PM
There was a guy on here awhile back that converted his banshee into a trike ,,using a tri-z front end if i remember right. I think it was also pictured in DirtWheels.Nice lookin machine