PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad?

12-30-2002, 02:33 AM
Is it bad to be the slowest in the pac? My friends all have bran new quads. One Z 400, Two 400 EX's, Two Warriors, and One Raptor. I have a 1985 350X that I got off of the original owner for $250 all completely stock and it was last ridden in 1988 with an almost completely rebuilt 1986 350X motor($$$$) off of my beat up 1986 350X that I got off of my friend for $200. I put about $2000 into my 1986 350X motor, everything from a new cam, camshaft, valves, rocker arms, all the way to a new clutch, piston and rings. I just put a new Supertrapp exhaust on it and a DG aftermarket grab bar. It has Maier super scoops and a headlight and brake resivoir guard. Its pretty much got everything done to it the I can do. Well anyway every time we go riding I always end up being in the end, the Kaboos. Basically I'm scared of the thing. I never get in sixth and I barely stay in fifth. Everyone else that likes to go real fast has crashed or broken something on their quad. One of my friends got his brand new four wheelers front end ripped off by crashing into another four wheeler just two weeks after buying it. But they all make fun of me for going slow. But I still can look forward to not having to spend big bucks every week to repair a bent axle or new plastic or new tires. So is is bad to think ahead and think about the things that could happen if I ride to fast on a narrow windy trail in the woods? Because most of my riding buddies dont give a crap?

ATCRYDER
12-30-2002, 02:47 AM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

....You oughta be whippin past the Warriors and keeping up witht he 400EX (without even trying), Ive never seen a Z400 do any racing agaisnt a trike so i cant speak for that......althoguh the raptor oughta be giving you trouble in the speed department ;0)

I think what you need to do is slowly "grow some balls" if ya knwo what I mean. a 350X isnt always the right starter trike for something.........especially if theyre smaller, but once you learn to handle the power and really -ryde- then youll be having more fun than you couldve imagined!

Good luck.........now go practice!!!,
Rob

theeechozen1
12-30-2002, 02:53 PM
I kill z-400's on my 250r, they don't stand a chance once that faithful 6th gear is hittin hard 8)

350Xrider
12-30-2002, 03:05 PM
A warrior stands no chance against a 350x,a 400ex sytock doesn't either.The Z 400 from what I could tell when I rode it had no more if as much lowend hit as the X but it may have more topend that, I don't know. And for the raptor well hel, I mean it is a 660 there couldn't be a whole hell of a lot of a chance for it. I also think the raptor is extremely overrated. I mean just think that if a 350X or a 400ex maybe even for that matter were a 660, holly hell the power that would have would be unbelievable.

TimSr
12-30-2002, 04:16 PM
They guy didnt say he was out drag racing on pavement, so the "this is faster than that" argument is has nothing to do with this post.

He is actually out riding it, on real trails where ATVs are supposed to be, and having difficulty keeping up with his buddies. This is a simple one.

Quads are easier to learn to handle than trikes, so even if you have equal experinece, dont expect to be manuevering through trails as quickly as your buddies. This is normal. Its going to take you twice as long to learn than the quad guys, and youll always have to ride better than them to maintain the same speed. Its not because your trike isnt fast enough or needs another modification. You simply need more seat time, and more experience. It it will come.

I think you can answer your own question about whether its bad. Who would you choose to be last? Somebody has to be! Is it bad to ride within your current ability and be behind your buddies, or is better to ride beyond your ability and crash out in front of them? I dont think you really need us to answer this. Keep riding, and youll continuously improve.

12-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Handleing is my main problem! Mainly in trails and rocky areas. Fearfull of tipping easy by going too fast. But on the feilds I feel much safer to go fast. Im looking for wheel spacers on ebay and I ordered spider trac tires because they are wider than my oem tires and will make it a bit more stable

Trikeaholic
12-30-2002, 05:49 PM
i think you guys all missed the subject. This guy is a trail cruiser, like me, and there is nothing wrong with that. The fact that his riding buddies are wanna be racers, and probably talk about their ride for 2 weeks after the fact-bench racing- is what I think is turning this dude off. I dont like riding buddies like that either. My advice is get some new riding buddies or tell them to mind thier own business, if they dont want to ride with ya, then screw 'em. It aint a contest, its only for fun..................

12-30-2002, 06:36 PM
My riding buddies are fine it's just some of them, not all of them just think they are better than everyone else because they are allways up front and dont care what happens. And then like to pick on me mostly because Im the smallest and say Im slow and have a slow bike. But the Ironic thing is my bike is mostly all original except the grab bar, exhaust, and soon to be tires. They have gone through rims, tires, axles, and, A arms and their bike arent even 2 years old. See, if that was me I would'nt have a bike because I wouldnt be able to get an axle or front forks from my dealer. I would have to be lucky to find them on ebay. Also I have ony been riding for about 2 years almost they. They have been riding all their life, well, most of them. So guys if you happen to read this, dont take it personal!.

theeechozen1
12-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Do yourself a favor and go get some 22x14.50 dick cepeck 16 paddle haulers, then roost on them friends of yours with all your bikes got--
"If a man can't see, he can't ride" :twisted:
J/K ;)

freaksfix
12-30-2002, 09:45 PM
If you ask me you have one of nice's ATC ever made (aside from the ATC250R) and your friends should be honored to be having ride with them 1st or last. Like the other ATCers on the board said give it time and you will be leading the pac in you feel the need to shut them up!!!

As my brother says "it takes twice the rider to be on an ATC" and thats why he wont ride my trike's only my golfcart so BE PROUD!!

Tri-Z_Jim
12-30-2002, 10:32 PM
I ride both 3 and 4 wheelers so I can say that a quad is capable of leaving a 3 wheeler in the dust"in most trails" If a 3 wheeler handled better than a quad,You would be able to buy a brand new trike today. Most trails here are a set of ruts fitted to a 4 wheeler,,,which leaves a 3wheelers front tire either in the left or right rut riding sideways or ridng on the hump in the middle.
If your scared of your machine you really shouldnt be riding it.You shouldnt try keeping up with your buddies either, Just enjoy the ride and have fun.Who cares where you are in the pack as long as your in it.Did the first place guy in your group get a trophy at the end of the ride?When I ride here I'm usually leading the group and have to stop every 3 or 4 minutes to wait up for everyone regardless of what they are riding. I also think about injuries all the time but I also look at injuries as vacation time :)

HemiChallenger71
12-30-2002, 11:29 PM
I think our friend needs some seat time in his X by himself. Don't try to keep up with those guys, because they'll get screwed every time. Staying back has tought me many many lessons. Because I have no brakes I wasn't aobut to try to keep up with a crazy rider on a Warrior. In the straightaway we raced, and I beat him bad. He wanted to race on pavement as well as I did. On our way, he was impatient and determined to get over 6ft. piles of sticks. He broke an axle carrier, and lost his temper on me and the other guy with us. Now he's jsut paying money to fix it. I think you have to learn when to and not to go fast, and when and when not to be racing. Trails are no palce to be racing for sure.

TimSr
12-31-2002, 01:15 AM
Listen to jeswinehart, Tim!!! He knows exactly how you feel!!!

mudfreak99
12-31-2002, 01:57 AM
Tri-z Jim I totaly disagree with you on one of your statements... you say that if he is scared of it not to ride.. hell I say if you aren't scared of it don't ride it, thats how trikes and more importantly people get hurt. think about it... Ol Joe-Bob goes out and hops on a trike and dosen't give a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro because he thinks that he has the thing down pat... next thing you know he is flying down the trail out of control and dosen't know what to do... thenk he hits a tree and breaks his neck or someting...... On the other hand he could have taken the time to ride the trike slowly and learn more about it and learn its limitations and what it can and can't do... then he would be here with this cheesy littel board now (no offense to the board because I LOVE IT)

ATCRYDER
12-31-2002, 02:15 AM
Jims right, bottom line is a Quad on Quad Trails is positively better handling and easy to manuever than a trike on trike trails. Quads are easier to handle compared to trikes.....yes..........but I can safely say anyone who says "Oh this quad handles horribly" or "This trike is unstable as hell" is nothing more than a pussy of all pussies ;) ....I simply say keep your eyes on the trail, shut your mouth and enjoy the ride, woman. :D

Tri-Z_Jim
01-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Sry,bad choice of words,,,what i meant was that if Tim isnt comfortable riding the 350x maybe he should get a 200x or buy a machine with the extra wheel up front :) I'm not scared to ride anything but I know guys that are scared of 3 wheelers in general.

DIGGER DOG
01-01-2003, 12:43 PM
my TT 500 scares the crap outta me my 84 200 x is less scary but freaky to me ytm 200 is pretty tame but still freaky unfortunately I dont have any one to ride with as of yet when I ride I know my limitations the 200x of mine has extended axle and it still tips when i come in to a turn too hot and the tires hook up instead of spin ,I have a blast but dont exeed the envelope .being scared to me is a good thing its my high and lets me know just exaxtly what my limitations are ,Im still learning what I can and cant do .seat time plenty of seat time the last time I had a bike or trike was in the 80s and used to race at RPMC in Miami Fl I was about 13 or 15 running 80 cc class now that i am 35 and back into bikes and trikes the past comes back even though ive raced in the past I still take my time riding and dont go all out untill I know my limitations and even then I have respect for the machine and what I could do to my self and the machine so what youre at the back of the pack whaen I raced that is what i mainly saw was the back of the pack but after everyone wrecked or what ever I ended up with 2nd 0r 3rd so I was at the front in the end .Take your time learn the trike and your limitations soon they will be in your roost.