PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Moto-X

BigGreenMachine
07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Wondering if anyone has a moto-X track in their backyard or anywhere on or close to your property?

At the end of August when I get home I'm building a small one for myself to ride on. The land I'm building on is my own so nobody can complain about noise or me digging up property. I'm going to start small and build up as I learn. I'm limited to a chainsaw shovel and rake at the moment but eventually will rent a small backhoe to make some bigger table tops. I'm gonna make a couple intermediate doubles and a rythm section as well as some choppy woops. I also have a hill to carve into where I will have a step-up and a step-down right after.

The idea behind all this is that I can practice whenever I want and even better is that there are about 4 other bikes that I know will want to race. Two races a day once every weekend, $10 entry fee. After a full season of racing with them the points can be totaled from the place you finish in and the person with the most points will win the cash.

Anyone have any ideas to add to this?

Thanks, James.

hotroddal
07-27-2004, 07:19 PM
that will be cool once i is done

trikerider2oo7
07-27-2004, 08:34 PM
sounds cool...make sure to put in a tabletop, they are awesome

BigGreenMachine
07-27-2004, 10:53 PM
A tabletop would be great but making a sizable one will take me forever unless I can find some large culvert to act as a filler and then cover 3 wide sections of it over with dirt just like you see on some indoor supercross tracks.

TrikeKid
07-28-2004, 02:19 AM
we used to have a "track" down the road from my house but it wasnt owned by us or anyone we knew. the owner let us ride there but now is using the property so we cant ride anymore. too bad since me and my dad were going to make a nice little trail so we didnt have to use the road.

BigGreenMachine
07-28-2004, 12:03 PM
that sucks trikekid, thats the best part of this track, its mine!
nobody to close it down or tell me how to run it or that i cant ride there.
ill be sure to get some huge profile pics of the land before and after i start building in a month. anyone know a good site with track building tips?

Jeb
07-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Do any of you "old" guys like me remember Lang-Town???

It was featured in Dirt Wheels and Dirt Bike a couple times back in the 80s. This Lang guy built a mini super cross style track in his back yard in some California Suburb. They (adults) raced 80cc MXers and ATC70 three-wheelers only.

TrikeKid
07-28-2004, 03:08 PM
i think its in a diffrent place but ive seen something about a Langtown track where they raced mini fourstrokes i saw a picture it was an indoor with stands way to big to be backyard.

Jeb
07-28-2004, 05:56 PM
The LangTown I talk about was a backyard track. He called it Lang Town after the track known as Hang Town. If I remember right.

I'll see if I can find one of the articles. Maybe they did only ride mini-4stroke dirt bikes instead of two stroke 80cc MX bikes. I've got a pic that shows a bunch of atc70s going around.

:)

TrikeKid
07-28-2004, 07:35 PM
the mini race i was talking about was last year or the year before

BigGreenMachine
07-28-2004, 09:24 PM
ATC 70's racing would be sweet to have in the backyard, wouldn't take a whole lot to make a nice track in a day with a rented BobCat. Maybe a Tri-Zinger would fare a little better than a 70. What ever became of the KXT 80 or 60 that someone on the board bought and was restoring for their son?