PDA

View Full Version : How to race Polaris style ....

Wickedfinger
08-02-2004, 05:02 PM
As was mentioned in a previous post - I would say all the 400L Scramblers/Sports are "sleepers" because nobody gives them the respect they really deserve or expects the power they can generate. The secret to drag racing with a Polaris 400 is a good, power braked launch then cut the race off early (like around 60mph). The 378cc pinger is a great mill that alot of people don't know, is a near copy of the famous Honda 250 motor. It has amazing low to mid-range power (37 hp in stock form) and when you connect that to a good clutch kit, they take off like a rocketship. The only down side to that is with the auto tranny, they sign off early. In stock form, the 400 Sports top speed is only 60mph. The AAEN topend pipe and Clutch kit I have installed on mine fixed this problem to a point by allowing the engine to pull more RPMs. I can still only top out at @ 68mph. Polarises don't really respond well to top end biased gearing changes (it "confuses" the auto tranny) and I already have 22" tires mounted. To gain anymore top speed, I would need to get the jug ported and alter the clutch further. The clutches tuning is the key to any Polarises power delivery - they are a fine ballance between acceleration and top end. This is controlled by the secondary clutches Helix's angle, the weight rating of the mainspring and the placement of the springs "tabs" in the various adjustment "holes" that line the helix and sheave. I have my HPD kit set up in the most common adjustment that lets you have a good ballance of top end and acceleration. That being said, as far as the engine goes, when I switched from my low-end biased 7hp FMF pipe to the mid-to-topend 10hp pipe by AAEN, I also mounted an AAEN reed block spacer to help the motor keep some bottom end grunt. As far as the actual racing goes, heres an example of my last go around with a DG piped Raptor. At the line, I rev the motor up to its stall speed and when we decide to go, I drop the brakes. Now, before we go any further, you can't do this all day because you will seriously load up the spark plug as well as stress the whole auto tranny system. You do this rev up for the sole purpose of front loading the clutches thereby cutting down on the trannies lagtime. A funny thing that happens is when I'm going against manual clutched machines, the owners usually hear me reving my motor and they start to do the same thinking it will help them. The opposite is always true - they either botch the cluch drop and bog down or they get a good drop, only to spin their tires endlessly or almost whellie back over and have to let off. That being said, the guy on the Raptor got a good launch and he jumped out ahead of me for about 1 - 2 quadlengths for maybe 50 ft. After that, I got into the meat of my powerband and blew by accelerating away from him until about 50 mph (as read from my TrailTech). At that point I was a good 10 lengths ahead when he started to creep back on me - but - by the time we hit about 60 the race was over, I let off and I crossed the "finishline" well ahead. That Ladies is how you do it on a Polaris. As my friend TimSr is so fond of saying - in the real world acceleration is the name of the game, not the "Top speed" that everyone thinks is so important. In the dunes it might have a little more meaning, but near me in the woods - it means nothing.

mbg75
08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
wicked,
I use the exact same technique as you for launching my 400 scrambler. only difference is i switch on the 4 wheel drive, eliminating almost all tire spin. currently running hpd race mod kit. surprise the hell out of most people. especially since it looks stock.

4 wheel also works for wheelies in reverse! lol

what other mods do you have done to your scrammy? is that the adjustable pipe your running?

Macs
08-02-2004, 09:56 PM
i have never dragged my wifes. i have ran it in a few mx races and some friendly tight trail challenges and i was dissapointed in the power. now hers is stock with stock tires and of course i am use to 250r's and tecates.

Macs
08-02-2004, 10:01 PM
i figure i will at least send a pic. my wife and her golf cart. well pic is too large if anyone wants to resize

Wickedfinger
08-02-2004, 11:37 PM
what other mods do you have done to your scrammy? is that the adjustable pipe your running?
No, its the newer style, single pipe without the removable head piece. I ran the older adjustable pipe on my '96 and I had alot of problems with blow off from any kind backfire on deceleration. As far as mods go, I'm at Stage 1 performance: The AAEN pipe, 38mmTMX flatslider, AAEN spacer, a Boyesen Rad, the HSP hypershift clutch, Wiseco piston and a Uni-filter. I may go to Stage 2 this winter and send the jug out to AAEN for porting but I'm pretty happy with it as it is. My '96 Sport had all the mods available at the time done to it - Pretty much Stage 2 with all the above and a head girdle kit.

chuck
08-11-2004, 09:20 AM
What do you guys think of the new polaris tralblazer 250? The shop down thr road has them for $3100.

Wickedfinger
08-11-2004, 07:14 PM
... I wouldn't call them "New" since they've been around, unchanged (except for the concentric drive switch) since 1996 - but - they are a great beginner quad in every sense of the word. Rediculasly easy to jump on and ride, easy to learn how to wrench on because of the air-cooled 2-stroke. They have decent pep and are a fun ride but are hampered by a slow top speed of 45 mph. They can be hopped up rather easilly though. A good pipe and clutch kit will really wake it up to decent levels.

jacob
08-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Polaris Sucks!! :beer :beer :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

Wickedfinger
08-15-2004, 11:24 PM
A blown up John Deere 111 with a 11hp b&s pushing about 20hp as of (7-17-04) yep she died

.... do I really need to respond to this clown.

jeswinehart
08-17-2004, 05:49 PM
no wicked ,,, you certanly do not need too , lol.

i don't reckon the mrs. will be doing any mods to her 400 exploier till she learns how to ride a stocker ,,,, lmao !

vartiak15
08-19-2004, 10:04 PM
nice wife... i mean quad lol. she wasnt trying to go threw it? she crashed in there?

jeswinehart
08-21-2004, 07:31 PM
lol ! she was following and didn't get to the edge far enough. those particular trails we were on have big ruts from the trucks going thru.
she bailed to the shallow side when she got it leaning that far over.
the 185-s i was riding done a fine job of assisting her out of there .

john

Scrambler5xx
08-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Polaris Sucks!! :beer :beer :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

Still riding daddys old Honda?