PDA

View Full Version : Medina County Fair

TimSr
08-06-2004, 07:00 AM
We raced the fair Wednesday night. The weather looked terrible, but the rain never much materialized other than a few occasional sprinkles that kept the dust off the track. TimJr rode two good races, but had a mid air tangle with another rider on the table top, and rolled it, mangling the handle bars. The first moto for me was one of the best races Ive ever ridden. I got 7th out of 14 riders. In the 2nd moto I was temporarily detained in a pileup, and only managed to catch and pass the last guy, but I was still really happy with the way I rode. Its really funny how the atmoshpere has changed over the years. Now they act like theyve never seen a trike before. Thats not a negative statement though. I had more people than ever before stop by and talk to me, ask questions and admire my ancient relic, and the spectators are just super to me. After my 6th annual Medina Fair, and the last 3 or 4 being the only trike, Im mostly known as "that guy that races the 3 wheeler". The spectators want and need to see trikes, but around here we have a lot more armchair racers than real trikers.

I pretty much expect the same at Lorain County Fair in Wellington Aug 29, and the Ashland County Fair in Ashland, Ohio Sept 23.

Billy Golightly
08-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey TimSr, I've been thinking...When I get the 500 done (Maybe before then) I'd like to sometime get a date figured out when there will be a good race up there and maybe come for a visit and ride. Virgil said He'd like to maybe do it too. I've checked all around the tracks down here and none of them will allow trikes. :(

TimSr
08-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Its always a privilege to ride with you, but thats an awful long way to travel for a couple of ten minute motos! Some places do run some weekend events though. A couple run Saturday nighttime HS's, along with a Sunday day HS. A few others have weekend MX. The one we are going to tomorrow has Saturday Flat track racing and Sunday MX and we are camping there. They even said theyd give us a 3 wheeler class if we had 3 or more, but so far, no 3 wheeler class. Im going to sit out this weekend and just coach. I pulled a muscle in my leg, and will let them recover so Im at least 90% when we head out to the Badlands on Wednesday. I would suggest doing some more searching of tracks in your state. If you dont get anywhere in FL, start checking GA. Ive found that most places have some kind of event, whether it be drags, mud bogs, or MX or HS, but something that allows trikes. Its a shame that while trikers can preach about saving the sport on a message board, most will not go out and support those few organizations that want to give them a chance. My hat goes off to those who try.

Billy Golightly
08-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I haven't really checked into GA a whole lot, but I'm not far from the border at all and will have to start doing that.

Florida is kind of a dirtbike supremists state. The club I belong to that I race my trx250r in (The FTR) is always giving the quad guys the shaft with the race times, length of the race compared to the dirtbikes ect. Seems like most of the tracks are the same way. The one MX trackin Gainsville that I seen my first MX at doesn't even allow quads anymore because the story goes a bunch of the dirtbikers got together and told the owner if he kept allowing quads they'd go race and practice elsewhere...

Anyways, about racing up there. It is a long ways, but Maybe we could get something planned a few monthes in advance and get several other people together to race and get a good threewheeler turn out at atleast one race. I'd love to do a flat track race, I like MX but when it comes to the big jumps I'm a wuss hehehe.

PowerTrike
08-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Good for you tim! Way to go! :TrikesOwn