PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from Punta Gorda, What a mess

Mike Fort Laud
08-17-2004, 01:01 AM
My girlfriends dad and sister live in Punta Gorda and Friday night and Saturday morning we could not get in touch with them and after watching the news we loaded up my truck and headed over there. It is a 2 hour drive from Ft Lauderdale. I took 50 gallons of Diesel fuel 65 gallons of Gas,15 gallons of water,30 lbs of ice and spent $175 at Sams club on supplys. It was crazy and scary as we started getting closer at seeing the first tree down then the next tree then the closer we got it just got worse and worse. Luckily when we got to his house the only damage to his house was the Chikee Hut bar was on its side and a palm tree was leaning over. Some of the other neighbors had some damage from trees falling. Sunday we drove downtown on US 41 and I could not believe the damage. There were boats on houses, entire new car lots destroyed. Every building was almost leveled. Every power pole and light pole was split. We passed the airport and almost every plane was tossed around like toys. The trailer parks looked like bombs hit them. I saw a 28 foot travlel trailer wrapped around a pine tree 20 feet in the air. It was not even touching the ground. Her dads house on the river had some damage but it was still there. I feel the worst for all the old people on social security that were retired in the trailers,they have nothing left. It was truly heartbreaking watching them rumage through what was their homes. I saw them all crying. I am going back Wednesday to take more stuff and help out some more. They may not have power for 4-5 weeks. What you see on TV is nothing compared to what it is in person with all the destruction and the soldiers and police. Even the Shelters got blown down,so the homeless are homeless. Keep these people in your prayers,they need whatever they can get.

foster
08-17-2004, 11:31 AM
"I guess I have to go out and find a job:" Gerard Campanella, quad shop owner.
:(

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/20040816__BIZ_INSURANCE_0817~1_200.JPG