PDA

View Full Version : Trailering ATV's ... hard on the suspension?

Wickedfinger
08-22-2004, 02:31 PM
I was driving home today, pulling the Scrammy on the trailer and I noticed quite a bit of suspension movement. I know this has probably been discussed before somewhere but how hard is it really on an ATV's suspension when trailering?. I don't know. Would say driving one across the country in the back of a truck cause the same amount of wear to the suspension components as say riding it that same distance?. I know you usually compress a dirtbikes suspension when straping it down in order to keep it in place when travelling but I was always told that was a no no when it came to ATVs because it can ruin the shock valving, presumably because of the extra sprung weight of an ATV. I just thought I would offer this up for discussion.

smokinwrench
08-22-2004, 03:15 PM
The best way to strap an atv down would probably be to use the straps like race cars use. A strap goes around the tire and then attaches to the floor of the trailer.

I never strap mine down, it would have to be a huge bump to get them to fly over the rail of my trailer.

ATC crazy
08-22-2004, 04:22 PM
I put one strap on the front bumper pulling straight down and one on that goes through the rear rack and holds that down.

I dont really care what happens to the suspension at this time. The shocks bounce me around like riding a 110 through baja already...Im kinda hoping it will screw up the valving so I can have a softer ride...LMAO

hondawilly
08-22-2004, 05:00 PM
we use chain binder in the front and a winch strap in the back

CHAINSAW
08-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I dont strap mine either, just put bungee chords to the forks, and stuff to keep them in.

My trailer has no suspension, and I dont notice my machines bouncing around to much at all on the trailer, even on those rough Oklahoma Panhandle roads. I wouldnt see how 3-4 hours of trailer riding could compare to 30 minutes of regular dune riding, thats unless you just put around and take it easy.

OldSchoolin86
08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
I know you usually compress a dirtbikes suspension when straping it down in order to keep it in place when travelling but I was always told that was a no no when it came to ATVs because it can ruin the shock valving, presumably because of the extra sprung weight of an ATV. I just thought I would offer this up for discussion.

It shouldn't hurt the valving being compressed. All your really commpresisng is the springs.

Wickedfinger
08-23-2004, 11:58 AM
It shouldn't hurt the valving being compressed. All your really commpresisng is the springs.

I'm assuming its because you are "preloading" the suspension at a super compressed un-natural position. The valving and piston have a greater initial "pressure" load?. Also, I'm thinking about the whole suspension geometry of any boingered ATV - things like shafts, bearings etc. wearing. Again, I was "told" not to do it.

TimSr
08-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Shock "Valving" simplified is the size of the holes oil has to squish through which controls dampening. Whether a shock is strapped fully compressed or fully extended, it has no "stress" on the valving. That only happens when its moving and forcing oil through these holes one direction or another.

As for shock wear, youre going to see a lot more of it in 10 minutes of bumpy riding than you will from 20 hours of activity typical on a trailer.

As for strapping them down, and compressing springs, on 4 wheeler shocks, along with bike and trike rear shocks, springs rarely ever loose any of their extension or strength from being compressed. Fork springs are a different story. Its okay to strap them part way down (1/2 way or less) to maintain tension, but dont leave them that way for long periods of time. Its fine to strap them down for transport, but dont leave them compressed and strapped down on the trailer for days at a time. When you stop for extended periods of time, release the forks, and tighten back down when youre ready to move on. Fork springs on trikes or bikes lose strength and eventually begin to extend less and less fully over the years.

md1985250r
09-13-2004, 07:59 PM
A buddy of mine has what he calls fork supports for his dirtbikes. It is just a "I" shaped piece of plastic that he puts on the tire to under the fender (right at the bolts). This way he can strap the bike down tightly and not compress the forks at all. I will have to ask him where he got them . I want one for my trike!!! Greg

thefox
09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
A buddy of mine has what he calls fork supports for his dirtbikes. It is just a "I" shaped piece of plastic that he puts on the tire to under the fender (right at the bolts). This way he can strap the bike down tightly and not compress the forks at all. I will have to ask him where he got them . I want one for my trike!!! Greg

www.denniskirk.com sells them, $17.99 but I didn't see one for an trike. You could probably make one fairly easy.
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/catalog_images/1/119/11909/300pix/pcfs1.jpg