PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever powder coat their frame??

freaksfix
01-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Ive got a frame on the way for my 86R and I want to powder coat it. So the main question is has anyone done it and how much did it cost? I believe I read in a previous post that you dont have to prep (sand blast) the frame for powder coating? Will the powdwer coating stick and look even when put over top of old chiped piant?

200xer
01-02-2003, 12:15 PM
I've never heard that you don't have to sandblast it.

I'm not sure on the price, I know some people around here have had it done though. I do know that to get a racing kart frame powdercoated, a friend of mine spent $100 on a regular color.

ATCRYDER
01-02-2003, 04:51 PM
I need to figure out some how to get all the -QUEER- yellow paint off mine. The guy painted right over the old red paint.....sad yet stupid.

Id recommend sandblasting 1st, it can only get better.

DixiePlowboy
01-02-2003, 04:59 PM
ATCRYDER,
This is off topic, but what's the deal with folks wanting their Honda's yellow :shock: ? I'm removing yellow paint from my project '85 R's gas tank.

ATCRYDER
01-02-2003, 05:08 PM
I just wanted a certain theme of Black/Polished/Red and Chrome on my custom R so yellows got to go.

Kim (Kimmer250R on here) has a Yellow frame, swinger and hubs on his R (now a 310R !) and it looks plain sweet though.

http://www.trikeriders.com/_derived/readers.htm_txt_8945265.gif

The problem is some genius painted OVER paint on my frame. tisk tisk tisk :? :?

DixiePlowboy
01-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Although not my particular taste, that R does look good. What I'm dealing with is no comparison(yellow tank/fenders).
Oh well, at least they didn't paint the seat on mine/ :D

Mike Fort Laud
01-02-2003, 08:53 PM
My 85 250R is powder coated. The frame is Red ,swingarm is gold, Then they were powdercoated clear. You do have to sandblast the frame to have a decent finish. Most Powder Coat facilitys either do their own sandblasting or sub it out. I have a lot of trailers and engine stands and Airboat cages all powder coated. You cant beat it. But they have to bake the item in an oven for 20 minutes or so at 400-450 degrees depending on the powder. If there was any paint still on the frame it would bubble and burn off. There are different grades or strengths of powder also. Some is for interior,exterior,high traffic areas like hand rails and steps vs a lamp or other item . You want to use a POLYESTER powder because it is for exterior use. Has a high UV rating and very durable. If you want a color that is not a Polyester then have it clear coated with a polyester. Also be sure they TAPE OFF any place like bolt threads or close tolerance parts. Like my swing arm where the bearing carrier or swingarm bushings go. If it is powder coated it wont fit.

OldSchoolin86
01-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Powder coating is the only way to go. I'll never paint another frame again after having my 86 TRX done. You do have to sandblast but if like Mike said a good power coating outfit will take care of that for you. If your smart you'll have it sandblasted, take it to a good machine shop and have it checked for cracks, repaired then powercoated.

01-05-2003, 11:02 PM
You definitely need to sandblast the frame in order for proper adhesion of the powder. The only exception is with a surface that has already been coated. If this is the case, the piece will have to be thoroughly degreased and cleaned.

I recently opened a powder coating shop, so I can speak from experience that PC is the only way to go for durability and a very high quality finish. Let me know if you have anymore questions

2000ex
01-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I was unregistered and forgot to list the pricing.

You can expect to pay between $200-$300 for your frame to be powder coated depending on your area. Pricing usually includes media blasting, prep and masking, as well as powder and finishing.

OldSchoolin86
01-05-2003, 11:36 PM
$200 max for just a frame! I paid $250 and had a bunch of extra little parts including the swingarm done with my frame and this was a nice place.