PDA

View Full Version : How do I identify the year of my Polaris Trailboss?

BIGRED_87
08-23-2004, 08:43 PM
I know that on my Honda ATCs, there's that little black sticker on the front of the frame where the forks go on. Is there something like that on a Polaris quad? I recently purchased a Polaris Trailboss for my wife. There's a VIN number on the frame right by where your left calf would be if you sat on it, but I've looked all over it and can't seem to find any other information such as year, make, and model. My friend said it's an '87, but I want to know for sure so that I can attempt to get a title. HELP PLEASE!

Howdy
08-23-2004, 09:29 PM
This might help you. ;)

Wickedfinger
08-24-2004, 11:12 AM
... post a picture and I'll be able to tell you pretty much from the fender colors.

BIGRED_87
08-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Howdy, I'm a bit confused...while mine has 7 numbers in the VIN as in the diagram you included, there is no letter at the beginning. It's ALL numbers. And also, none of my numbers match up to what that diagram says. For example, according to your diagram, my Trail Boss is a 1946. LOL. And the two numbers for the chasis....well, my two numbers don't jive for that either. ARGGGHHH!!! Am I looking at the right number? It's on the frame right above where your left ankle would be if you sat on it.

Wickedfinger, if I post a picture, I still need to be able to have and interpret the correct VIN because my ultimate goal is to get a title. Do you know if I am looking in the right place for the VIN? And if not, then what IS this number that I'm looking at?

I really appreciate all this help!

Wickedfinger
08-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Wickedfinger, if I post a picture, I still need to be able to have and interpret the correct VIN because my ultimate goal is to get a title. Do you know if I am looking in the right place for the VIN? And if not, then what IS this number that I'm looking at?

Now I'm confused .... why does it matter if you "decipher" the vin number to get a title?. Having the Vin # should be enough, right?. I'm hoping you do have a good VIN - not altered for some nefarious reason - it should have 17 digits. The VIN on my Scrammy (and all other Gen III framed Polarises) is stamped on the bottom leftside frame rail right below the coolant reservoir.

BIGRED_87
08-24-2004, 03:38 PM
yours has 17 digits? what do you mean by Gen III? did that start at a certain year? mine is an '87. and according to Howdy's diagram above, there's only 7 digits...which mine has. i don't necessarily NEED to decipher the VIN, i'd just like to out of curiosity. have you ever been to www.allterraincycles.ca? there's a link on there to identify and interpret Honda vin numbers. is there anywhere on the web with information like that about Polaris vin numbers?

Wickedfinger
08-24-2004, 04:00 PM
It dosen't sound to me like you are looking at the VIN# - might be some sort of part number. If its from after 1990, it has to be 17 digits. Take a picture of the vin location and and the quad then post it. Generation refers to the frame/body style on Polaris's - the earliest quads were known as Generation I, the later early to mid 90's ones (like most Trail Bosses) were Gen II, Gen III are the "Scrambler" type sport frames and plastics, Gen IV & IV+ V are your larger 4X4's, the + is the early independent rear frames and V is the new ind frame for the Twin motors. It can get pretty complicated too - sometimes Polaris would put Gen IV fenders on Generation IV+ frames and so forth.

BIGRED_87
08-24-2004, 04:53 PM
here is a pic...it's dark, but you can make it out. the number i'm getting is on the frame ABOVE the foot plate....right about where the inside of your calf would be. i'll take a look in the area you're saying to look tonight after i get home from work...which is where i'm posting from right now. i get done work in about 5 minutes, but i'll post what i find out either tonight or tomorrow. thanks so much for all the help!

jason

Wickedfinger
08-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Oh, thats a Gen I for sure with that cyclone plastic. Probably an '88/'89 - thats why your VIN isn't 17 digits. The motor in there is a good one too - that late 80's/early 90's 250cc 2-stroke came rated from the factory with 30hp and it has an excellent 38mm carb. That same motor today only has 22hp in its de-tuned state.

BIGRED_87
08-25-2004, 11:39 AM
so i shouldn't be looking for a 17-digit VIN? well, that makes some
sense....as i spent an hour last night searching this thing for one and couldn't find one. all that's on there is that 7-digit number on the left side above the foot plate. was there any specific reason why polaris decided NOT to have a 17-digit VIN (just out of curiosity)? i have included a picture of the right side of this quad. it's in REALLY good condition...the front suspension was just totally re-done, the engine was bored 30 over, and a bunch of other little odds and ends that my friend did before he sold it to me. that's why i'm so interested in getting a title for it rather than just a bill of sale. with the amount of recent atv thefts in my area, i'll sleep better at night with a title in my possession.

Wickedfinger
08-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Before 1990, there was no national standard for VIN#'s. Now they all have to be 17 digits.

BIGRED_87
08-26-2004, 01:22 PM
i called the state dept of conservation and natural resources atv & snowmobile registration unit yesterday afternoon. according to them, this 87 trailboss 7-digit VIN is in fact correct! that's how they did it during the 1980's...according to they person i spoke to anyway. what a relief!!!!! thanks wicked & howdy for all your help!

Wickedfinger
08-27-2004, 12:52 AM
No problem. I'm glad to hear it didn't come back as "stolen". Good luck with it.

chuck
08-30-2004, 09:50 AM
It looks exactly like my friends 86 trAILBOSS.

BIGRED_87
08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
cool. when i called the state dept of conservation & natural resources and read the VIN to the guy, he was like, "yeah, that's an 87 for sure. i can tell by the number because i have a list of all the 87's we have registered here on my computer screen."

he then told me that even though mine is not registered (or reported as stolen THANK GOD!!!), it fits right into the sequence of Trail Bosses that ARE registered. what a relief it was to hear that! my application for a titling & registration AND the check are in the mail!

rally4x4racer
12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey guys - I started a new thread with a similar prob the other day before I saw this one.
If anyone can help me figure it out I would appreciate it - the thread is in QC and named "Polaris ID ?? 94 trailboss...? "
I cant even find the VIN! lol - I have looked everywhere.
thx - r4r

mink_amx
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Just thought i would let you know that i just looked at my registration form that I just filled out on for my 1996 Polaris Scrambler and it says that a 17 digit number for Polaris machines with a manufacture year of 1998 or newer and other ATVs with a manufacture year of 1987 or newer and a 7 digit number for Polaris machines for model years THROUGH 1997.

Just thought I would let everyone know on that subject as there seemed to be alot of confussion there.
Ryan