PDA

View Full Version : How to race

Enigma
08-26-2004, 03:48 PM
OK so my friend just got a new 450R. He wants to race me on my 86 T3, the only mod I have is a pipe, his bike is stock. Its still kinda hot in the dunes but I wanna be ready when we go out. How can I beat him. We will be racing in the sand probably strait flats and up hill. I think I have read here before that when you start in sand to start in second?? Whats the deal with that? What do I have to do to beat him? thanks

CHAINSAW
08-26-2004, 06:18 PM
each machine is different. It depends on your sprocket setup, tires, HP,.. a lot of factors when knowing how to start off. Ive never been able to start off in second on any machine Ive owned while drag racing. Ive always had better results starting in first. You just have to try it, and see what works best for you and your machine.

ATC crazy
08-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Take a few practice starts in your driveway or on a long stretch of a straight, flat trail in the next couple days. Start off in first a couple times and then try it in second a couple of times. If you can feel that one way is faster than the other...then stick to it. If you cant tell....get someone to hold a stopwatch 100 feet or so down the trail to time you.

Fatcat-joe
01-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Hello from Hamburg...need some infos about tr 200 fat cat Honda!!
if somebody have some knowledge about horsepower and maximum speed
from an 1990th model...please let me know..
many thanks ...fatcat-josef

200xman
01-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I think the only way you can get away with starting in second is if you know you will be able to really break the tires loose. The only bike I ever succesfully started in second for a sand drag was my 350X with a set of bald Spidertraks on it. It spun until 4th then hooked up and was gone. If it's only drags you are doing you might want to raise the forks in the tripples to make it a little less prone to wheelying.

mymint87
01-08-2006, 12:58 AM
take a spin down at buggy flats.......first base line.....bout 600 to 1000 ft down.......

thats where i always camp....look for a blue burby and toy box....if I'm there, you may borrow "The Nick"...for your friends proper spanking...just stay away from the whoops......

don't underestimate your T3...thing is sweet....you won't need much to win..

RedRider_AK
01-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I've always started my Rancher (yeah yeah it's a hell of a lot different than a 'Cate) in second for dragracing, but that's because it has a rock-bottom 1st gear and it just wastes time to shift up. I always smoke anyone else on a 400 or less utility machine, so that might be good. As for your Tecate, I would say start in first, because it's a two-stroke. It might not be able to pull 2nd from a stop without popping the clutch, which you don't want to do. Plus, you'll get into the powerband faster.

Mike_Ham_250R
01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I use both on my blaster. In sand you might be able to use 2nd but then again it is a t3. I would do a few test runs. I start my blaster in 2nd when im on WET asphalt or any other surface that will allow the tires to spin. Just lean forward off the line. I spin the tires on my blaster on the asphalt all through 2nd. I get my best starts when the starting line is wet but gets dry right away, you can really feel the thing bite in. But thats on a blasty, I havent tried it on my R yet.

Tri-ZNate
01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I just dump it in second and pin the throttle as I shift. Try it in first and then try it in second and see which you do better in.

ATC crazy
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
You guys do realize that this thread is almost a year and a half old?

Im sure the race is over and long done with...

Tri-ZNate
01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
OMG. I usually look at the dates but people posted for several day so I didnt bother to look :rolleyes: