PDA

View Full Version : i got to get this off my chest..the classifieds suck

NICKG
08-27-2004, 09:30 AM
and this is why. I posted an ad to sell my tecate. I know all about the single post on first page rule. here is the problem. I sold my tecate and I went to delete the post...which i can't, so I edit it to be a parts ad, problem is that you can edit it all you want, but the title that shows on the main screen does not change. so i post another ad for parts and in that ad i post a note to the moderaters to delet the first ad and not the parts ad and why ....they delet the parts ad...again. I emailed a few mods and get no response. that sucks. we should be allowed to delete the posts we make in the classifieds so we can post a new ad, the first page stays the same for a long time.....

Howdy
08-27-2004, 09:55 AM
I totally understand what your saying. I don't remember getting a email or PM from you about deleting a post. Other wise I would have removed it for you.

The reason we had to remove the "Delete Your Own post option" was because at least one User would make a For Sale posting. Then when it got 1/3 to 1/2 way down the page the user would delete it and repost the ad. This was begining to be done on a regular basis ( sometimes 1-2 times a day ). This was done to keep their postings towards the top. Basically they were bumping their ad's in a round about way. This wasn't fair to the other users so we removed the Delete option.

Let me ask you and everyone else this question: Would it be better if we restored the delete option. If users start with the round about posting bump then we simply remove their ability to use the classifieds for 10 -14 days or longer if they do it again?

I have another option also. But I need to get with the other mods to get their input on it.
Howdy

NICKG
08-27-2004, 10:17 AM
just make the reason for editing line useful....it should allow deleting if the items(items) are sold

TimSr
08-27-2004, 10:35 AM
NICKG,
This is an easy one to resolve. I do the majority of the moderating of the classifieds forum. When I see two ads I check the older one for any updated text to indicate its been sold or is no longer available. If you sell an item just edit it so say that its sold, and request it be deleted. I dont know which mods you contacted but as double precaution, PM or email me and let me know youd like it removed, and it will get done.
I do understand the problem that the title cannot be edited by the poster. Thats one of the downsides if the new board software. However, once again, any mod can edit a title, and once again, PM or email me.
I understand how it can be frustrationg for guys who try to abide by the rules, and work within the way things are intended, but there are always a handful of guys looking for every loophole in which they can skirt the rules and abuse it so it screws it up for those using it as it was intended. Some people feel they should dominate that forum and always have their ad at the top of the page. If we allow them, your ads will not be seen.

Billy Golightly
08-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Theres evidently some kind of a problem with editing the subject's. I don't know what it is but I'll try and figure it out.

In the meantime, you can do what TimSr said, or you can use the "Report Bad Post" button http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/images/buttons/3ww//report.gif and include a note saying you would like it deleted because its been sold. This will send the note to all moderators and will give you a better chance of it being removed quickly.

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-27-2004, 02:51 PM
i feel the same way nickg, and have had the same thing happen, thats why i very rarely use the classifieds here, i go over to .org for business

smokinwrench
08-27-2004, 09:30 PM
I very rarely use the classifieds section for selling, but I browse through it everyday for a good deal. I don't care what happens with it as far as the complaint here. Please never make it so the ads can be replied to. It is so nice to be able to look through every ad in a few minutes and not be wasting time reading bs.

CHAINSAW
08-27-2004, 09:51 PM
right on brotha!

ATC crazy
08-27-2004, 09:52 PM
I dont even look through the classifides anymore like I used to. I still dont agree with the whole "No Reply/Strick enforcement" thing about it. I loved it the way it was before the change.

Yes, I can see when they got out of hand and went on for 3-4 pages talking about who-knows-what....but sometimes being bombarded with PM's and trying to answer some of the simplest questions is much easier done with posts IMO.

Howdy
08-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, I can see when they got out of hand and went on for 3-4 pages talking about who-knows-what....but sometimes being bombarded with PM's and trying to answer some of the simplest questions is much easier done with posts IMO.

Whats different with replying to a PM / Email verses a Posting? When some one ask a question that other users might ask, you can edit that info into your ad. This eliminates their need to email /PM you for that info.

Howdy

NICKG
08-27-2004, 10:52 PM
my problem was that i posted a new ad and in that ad, i asked to have the old ad deleted.....3 times the new ad was deleted and the old ad was left alone ! it was as if the mod who did it did not read the post! 3 times!