PDA

View Full Version : And they said 4 wheelers are safe?

Morbid Mike
08-30-2004, 09:16 AM
ATV Wreck Kills Wife, Injures Husband

Troopers say Robert Parker was driving the ATV with his wife Jennifer riding on the back.
He was trying to go around a curve on Carter Mountain Road in Gordon County, when he lost control and slammed into a tree.
Troopers say the ATV flipped on top of the couple, killing 28-year-old Jennifer Parker and sending her 34-year-old husband to intensive care.
Troopers say neither of them was wearing a helmet.
ATV instructor Paul Lunsford says two people should never ride together on an ATV because the extra weight can cause the vehicle to tip over.
He says folks need to lean in the direction they're turning when they go around a curve.
Going too fast can also be a problem.
"If you're riding at a high rate of speed and you come up on an emergency situation, you're probably gonna be in the middle of it before you can react," Lunsford says.
Right now Robert Parker is listed in serious condition at Floyd Medical Center in Rome, Georgia.
No word on whether any charges will be filed.

Morbid Mike
08-30-2004, 09:17 AM
ONE KILLED IN 4-WHEELER WRECK.(News)

Fatalities -- Joseph L. Brazier, 19, of Amelia was killed Saturday night in a four-wheeler accident in Pierce Township of Clermont County.

Ohio State Highway Patrol investigators said Brazier lost control of his Yamaha Banshee off-road four-wheeler and crashed at 11 p.m. on Nine Mile-Tobasco Road south of Ohio 125.

The four-wheeler went off the left side of the road and into a ditch, the highway patrol said. Brazier, who was not wearing a helmet, was thrown from the four-wheeler, the highway patrol said.

Morbid Mike
08-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Teen Dies In Miami ATV Accident

MIAMI -- A 13-year-old boy died when the all-terrain vehicle he was riding landed on top of him after he plummeted off a steep dirt mound.

Maxwell Roy fell about 22 feet and was crushed when the ATV landed on him Monday afternoon, said Miami-Dade Police Detective Robert Williams.

A friend of his had gotten off the ATV just moments before. Traffic homicide detectives are investigating the accident.

Nationwide, an estimated 4,541 people have died in ATV accidents between 1982 and 2001 and the death rates are climbing, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

More than 100,000 people were injured in 2001 alone, a third of whom were younger than 16 years old.

State law prohibits the use of all-terrain vehicles on public roads and mandates that children younger than 16 must wear helmets while operating the vehicles.

But because the boys were riding on private property, the laws do not apply, said Miami-Dade Detective Nelda Fonticiella.

The ATV Maxwell was riding on weighed between 200 and 300 pounds, Fonticiella said. (AP)

http://web1.wsvn.com/images/news_articles/archive/10062003_ATV_death.jpg

Morbid Mike
08-30-2004, 09:25 AM
http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056232.htm

Morbid Mike
08-30-2004, 09:34 AM
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/atv2002.pdf

3 weelin geezer
08-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Screw the figures! Everybody dies sometime. Why do 'they' always blame the thing and not the rider/parent who lets them ride it unsafely ? I also have a 4 wheeler (bayou) and it does not tip over as easily as my 185s. This can be a bad thing when turning. Fortunately, someone had used their head for more than just a handy place to keep their hat when they take it out of the hat box and put a reverse gear in it.

400ccHomemade
08-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Anyone can die on anything, even a moped. I've gotten hurt worse on my bicycle than in any car, 3 wheeler, jetski, boat, motorcycle, 4 wheeler snowmobile, race car, minibike, or ice skates combined. Does that mean bikes are dangerous? No. Having said that........ :TrikesOwn

Billy Golightly
08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Last time I checked the rate of accidents and deaths in cars and legal modes of transportation was much worse then all off-road vehicles combined.

TimSr
08-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Nationwide, an estimated 4,541 people have died in ATV accidents between 1982 and 2001 and the death rates are climbing, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, 19,000 people died on bicycles during the same time period.

I will, once again, caution everyone against making this a 3 vs 4 safety debate. They are both in the same boat, and under attack by the same agency. Trike numbers are so low now they are no longer the focus of CPSC. Pointing to quads, and demanding they be banned too, as they are also dangerous does no service to trike riders, because I can guarentee that any additional bans or restrictions placed on quads will also be placed on the remaining 3 wheelers. CPSC would love to levy a ton of new idiotic restrictions on quads, and if we do not support quad riders, we are cutting our own throats. By the way, their claim that ATV accidenst are on the rise is correct, but they leave out the fact that ATV USE has risen incredibly faster than accidents associated with them.

firebird13601
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Three or four wheels,,,either way it doesn't matter. It's not the machines fault how YOU operate it! You can't blame the machine it doesn't control how you ride it,,,YOU do. Everyone needs to stop beliving that trikes and four wheels are not safe.

TTribaLL
08-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Ban Quads To? WTF is wrong with these people, they just can't go up and ban quads. If they did so many people would be pissed off, there is no way they can ban Quads to(well even if they did ban them I would still ride em). There is no way all of us ATVers are just going to allow someone to tell us that we can't ride these machine's because they are dangerous, there only dangerous if you are inexpirienced or don't have the propper skills it takes to ride any ATV. BTW I have to add that I hate that commercial for Canadian Tire where they are talking about quads, it makes me quiver.

atckowalski
08-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Not to long ago here in Michigan, A guy died on a :mad: quad when he hit a chain stretched across the trail(at neck level)that someone put there for no reason.

eh_tee_see
09-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Thats horrible, but i agree with Tim senior, theres no question about it, trikes are more tippy than quads, and yes they weigh less but it doesn't matter; they are the same thing. And the statistics do not mean shirt. The number of atv riders from 1982-2004 has increased substantially over the years so in turn of course the "charts" will say that since the rise of four wheelers, accidents will become more common.

TrikeKid
09-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Not to long ago here in Michigan, A guy died on a :mad: quad when he hit a chain stretched across the trail(at neck level)that someone put there for no reason.
it was put there by an eco terrorist aparantly they think cuttign a 4 foot wide trail in the woods ruins it.

triking
09-02-2004, 09:32 AM
i have broken my ankle geating out of the bed !

BIGRED_87
09-02-2004, 02:46 PM
I will, once again, caution everyone against making this a 3 vs 4 safety debate.

who are you to caution me about anything? and who are you to take away my RIGHT to free speech? last time i checked, an internet web page forum is for people to chit-chat and voice their opinions...whether their opinion is liked by the moderators of that forum or not.

p.s. - i'd rather lean towards being a modern liberalist that minds my own business than being a conservative ego-maniac crybaby control-freak that wants to dominate the entire universe and have everything go the way they want it to go and whine when it doesn't.

BIGRED_87
09-02-2004, 02:51 PM
people often look at me weird when i tell them i have a 3-wheeler and say something like, "aren't those things dangerous?" i simply reply by saying that if i have 3 wheels or 10 wheels or 50 wheels underneath me, it doesn't matter. if you drive like a maniac, then guess what happens. no matter who it is that i say that to, they agree with me every time i give that reply.

honda200boyatc
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
"aren't those things dangerous?" i simply reply by saying that if i have 3 wheels or 10 wheels or 50 wheels underneath me, it doesn't matter. if you drive like a maniac, then guess what happens. no matter who it is that i say that to, they agree with me every time i give that reply."

i agree with that every word of it and i have to say that my dad allway give me trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro for my 3 wheeler but i think everyone that thinks 3 wheeler are dangerous should try riding one and everyone that thinks that 4 wheelers are dangerous should try riding one and they might just like then and shout there mouth but ya it the rider not the machine

TimSr
09-02-2004, 03:31 PM
who are you to caution me about anything? and who are you to take away my RIGHT to free speech? last time i checked, an internet web page forum is for people to chit-chat and voice their opinions...whether their opinion is liked by the moderators of that forum or not.

p.s. - i'd rather lean towards being a modern liberalist that minds my own business than being a conservative ego-maniac crybaby control-freak that wants to dominate the entire universe and have everything go the way they want it to go and whine when it doesn't.

I didnt caution YOU about anything. Who took away your right to free speech? When has anyone ever told you you cant post your opinion? Reread my post. The point of my post is that some 3 wheeler riders will whine about what the CPSC has done towards our trikes, while at the same time bashing quads, declaring them "more dangerous" and calling for them to have more restrictions. That kind of mentality is damaging to ALL ATV riders, 3 or 4. We are fighting the same fight. Do you disagree? Whats your problem? Do you really thing more regulation on quads is going to bring trikes back? Or is this because I feel your opinion that "since there is so much ATV theft going on, that owning a hot one is no big deal" is just as damaging to all of us. If the modern lib view is that we should ban quads and steal trikes, Im quite happy being conservative.

370banshee
09-04-2004, 12:15 PM
i ride quads an trikes. and i agree with what tim sr is saying. anymore they (government) lump quads, trikes, dirtbikes and sandrail (not streetworth ones) in the same category. i believe that its all bulsh*t the way they do this and there are people that have nothing better to do tehan bend the number to make it look like they are "killing machines" quite frankly whatever you ride should be done with experiance. and did you notice that non of those people were wearing halemts?? what the hell is that all about. the way i look at it is if your out playign around and don't bother wearing a helmet (especailly the guy on the shee) then you deserve what you get. that may sound harsh but comeon your on a quad that does roundabouts of 80mph why woudl youi not wear a helmet??? anyway maybe i'm wrong. oh and to whopever thought trike are gonna make a comeback sorry guys i don;t see that ever happening. so i say keep the ones you have and try to hold on to your trikin lifestyle.