PDA

View Full Version : Two Stroke Troubleshooting

TimSr
08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
While at the Badlands my TriZ ran super until the later half of day two. I pulled out of the woods on the sand and decided to open it up and clean it out. After a few gears I heard some clunking and it promptly locked. When I took it apart, I found that the bottom of the sleeve had broken off, and it was not a pretty sight. Chunks had wedged between the crank and the case causing it to lock. They also even caused a small crack in the bottom of the cases under the crank. I was dead set on racing it this weekend, and willing to half-arse it to make it runable. I got a good used cylinder (thanks Orangeshee) and had a piston kit shipped 2nd day from Wiseco. The new cylinder had a 2nd boost port in it, and the exhaust port had been raised. I thoroughly flushed out the motor, making sure all the chunks and pieces were out of the crank, but I didnt split the cases. I cleaned up the head, and removed anything embedded in it, but the dome was all nicked up. The crank and rod were still decent, though somewhat scratched up. I oiled the crank with some 2 cycle oil like I always do, assembled it, though I had to use a used head gasket, I split the gasket, cleaned each layer and put Copper Coat Sealant between each layer. I used JB Weld on the crack in the cases, and then covered taht witha layer of silicon to avoid a vacuum leak. I got it all together, and had trouble starting it. TimJr pulled me with his Raptor, and it quickly fired right up, and put out a huge billowing smoke cloud, and had oil dripping out the pipe at the head, and blowing out the exhaust. I ran it for several minutes, and it seemed to run okay with decent throttle response, and the smoke subsided by a bit, but continued to put out a huge cloud. At this point I took off the oil filled exhaust, and started it with no exhaust. It still smoked quite a bit, though not nearly as much, and when I put my hand near the cylider exhaust port, it was quickly covered by an oily mist. What might be my problem, and how would I check it?

Bill X_R
08-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Gee Tim that a good one????? When you flushed the engine for the broken parts did you flush out the stuff you flushed the engine with (say that three times fast). I was thinking it was blow by....Maybe change the oil again???

Good luck

ooloo

OldSchoolin86
08-30-2004, 01:43 PM
It won't be blow by. It may have another crack in the case halves or a bad seal that is letting in the trans oil. I would hope that your pre-lube is burnt out by now. Sorry I don't have anything good for you. I'd be tearing into it to see if I could find something I may have missed.

Wickedfinger
08-30-2004, 01:48 PM
.... ah, I'm game - what kind of oil was dripping?. I'm venturing to say the piston skirt holed the transmission wall inside the case and you have 30wt leaking into your exhaust port somewhere in the charge cycle.

TimSr
08-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Oops, I forgot to add the visual aid. This is what I found when i got home from the Badlands. The piston skirt did not break. It was the skirt of the sleeve. The oil is a very nasty dark black, but its definately oil.

OldSchoolin86
08-30-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm still saying a crack or something in the case halves is alowing the trans oil in. Have you noticed a drop in the oil level?

Billy Golightly
08-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Has transmission oil level decreased any? I would guess the following with what you have said:

#1: There is further case damage then believed allowing transmission oil into and mixing in with the premix.
#2: The debris in the bottom has somehow damaged a crank seal allowing oil to seep in (low chance getting past the bearings but I assume its possible)
#3: Your premix was not Blue Marble! :p

MIK6
08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
My Tecate smoked so bad at TF03 because of the crank seals. I had left the petcock on a bit, got some gas past the piston into the crank (fluid locked). I wanted to ride it bad, so I pulled it behind another ATV. When it fired the fuel had to go someplace, it blew out the crank seals. So I rode the "Smoker" at TF03 as HAGEN called it.

MIK6 / Mike

Wickedfinger
08-30-2004, 08:49 PM
... damn Tim, that looks pretty bad ......

TimSr
08-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Man, you guys are getting good! Im going to have to post these under a different name. I was curious as to what answers I would get from those who are usually really quick to give it whether they know anything or not, and none of them would bite!

Wickedfinger started his post with "Im game" which means he gets credit for recognizing that I usually know the answer before I post these things.

Old Schoolin was the first to post the right answer, and also the tell-tale test of "did you notice a drop in the oil level?" I had just filled it before starting it, and about 1/4 of it was gone after 5-10 minutes of running. I had drained the oil before disassembly, so I would not have seen all the oil running in the crank from a cracked case. I have not yet determined whether it is seals or the case, but I suspect the case as being more likely just from the amount of oil.

This was easy to diagnose for you guys, because I posted all the information you needed. I would hope others could learn somthing by reading this about troubleshooting procedure. Next time somebody posts "why does my machine smoke", instead of whipping out, "its your rings, your main jet needs changed, it needs bored, your mixing too much oil, its your valves, its crank seal, or its your cases," you should start asking some questions. What kind of machine? When did it start or what was happening when its started? Recent history? and always do cheapest and easiest checks first. And when you are asking for help, post all the information you can. All these guys will agree that if I had just posted "why is my TriZ smoking" , none of them could have given this answer.

BigGreenMachine
08-31-2004, 01:37 PM
Great post TimSr, I didn't know the answer.

86250RZ
09-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey, I think this could be a good weekly theme. Engine or Trike Trouble Shooting 101 (Sorta like school for trikes). I think alot of us could learn a thing or 2 and in the long run help us give other members on the board more accurate answers. Good job Tim

TimSr
09-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Well guys, the answer is.................