PDA

View Full Version : Honda fl350 odyssey question

x.system
09-05-2004, 12:59 PM
I might be trading one of my 85 250r's for an 85 350 odyssey. Anyone got one of these and are they worth having? I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon, anything I should look for? How fast are these machines in stock form?

x.system
09-05-2004, 01:08 PM
here's a pic of the beast.

renotrikeguy
09-05-2004, 02:09 PM
I think this link is just what you are looking for.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9789/purchase.html

x.system
09-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Cool, thanks

Wickedfinger
09-06-2004, 12:19 AM
I had an '85 for a while. Interesting story actually, I bought it from a parapalegic guy who just wanted to unload it for $500. Anyway, as far as I was concerned, it was only good for one thing - the snow. Otherwise, they have such a wide turning radius that they are pretty much worthless in anything but the dunes. They are TERRIBLE in the woods - mainly because they can't turn but also for the fact that they seem to get hung up on everything and getting out of it to untangle or unhang it gets old real quick. The A/C 350 2-stroke motor put out good power and they can be made to go pretty good with a pipe kit - but nowhere near as well as a good running 250 pinger.

x.system
09-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks wicked, any idea on top speed? and acceleration? More than likely this machine will stay in stock form if I even decide to get it. I'm thinking of getting it for the gf and I'm sure my son would like to use it as well. Do you know how they are on the dunes? thats about the only place I will probably use it.

84250r
09-06-2004, 12:41 AM
There awesome machines Jim. Quick 2 smokers. Extremely quick on acceleration.(belt driven) I seen that one on ebay,it seemed to need alot of work though. 85's were the best. As far as top speed,im not to sure,maybe 60-80mph. Not intended for kid riders,heh.

x.system
09-06-2004, 12:48 AM
There awesome machines Jim. Quick 2 smokers. Extremely quick on acceleration.(belt driven) I seen that one on ebay,it seemed to need alot of work though. 85's were the best. As far as top speed,im not to sure,maybe 60-80mph. Not intended for kid riders,heh.

Yea, it does need work but I plan to take a couple carbs with me tomorrow and try to at least get it running. I am hoping one of my r carbs will let it at least run for a few minutes so I can check the condition of the motor, cosmetics I really am not worried about, I just don't want to have to put $1000 into the motor to make it run right. If I can't get it to run I will probably pass on it. Will one of these fit in a full size short box?

84250r
09-06-2004, 01:42 AM
You shouldn't have any problem getting it into a full size truck. Hopefully you can get it to run. There value holds pretty good. 85's were better looking and had the bigger motor in it. Good luck!

Wickedfinger
09-06-2004, 01:59 AM
Top speed was about 55mph. I would say they are both slightly quicker and faster than a stock Warrior. I had it around the same time as my '96 Polaris 400 Sport and the Sport was much quicker in stock form. It would fit fine in the back of my F150.

Wickedfinger
09-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Yea, it does need work but I plan to take a couple carbs with me tomorrow and try to at least get it running. I am hoping one of my r carbs will let it at least run for a few minutes so I can check the condition of the motor, cosmetics I really am not worried about, I just don't want to have to put $1000 into the motor to make it run right. If I can't get it to run I will probably pass on it. Will one of these fit in a full size short box?

I'm pretty sure they had the same PE27 30mm Kehin Carb as the '83/4 A/C R's - but don't quote me on that.

x.system
09-06-2004, 02:09 AM
I'm pretty sure they had the same PE27 30mm Kehin Carb as the '83/4 A/C R's.
that seems small for a 350, hope a 34mm will fit on this thing.

x.system
09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Well, I just got home with it, it barely fits in my truck and it will only go in frontwards. I took some fresh gas with me and poured a little down the carb and it fired right up, second pull and I did check to make sure the motor was cold when I got there. It looks like it needs a fuel pump. Its been sitting in his garage for a long time he says and when he went to get it out it wouldn't start without pouring gas down the carb. It ran pretty smooth while it did run so I ended up trading. I got it home and unloaded (by myself I might add, very heavy) I took the air cleaner off and got me a little spray bottle with some good gas mix in it and I was able to keep it running until I ran out of gas. Im going to pull the carb and gas tank and clean them out then I'm going to sit one of my 250r tanks above the carb and hook it up to see how good it runs until I get a fuel pump for the oem tank. This machine looks pretty good for its age I think, the motor is still pretty clean and all the suspension seems nice and tight yet. Theres no wet spots under the motor so it looks like the motor is still in good shape. It has nice compression from what I can tell but I would like to get me a compression tester and check it just to make sure. He said it had 2 frozen shocks but once I dropped it out of my truck they seem to have broken loose, I think it just sat for a long time but at least it was inside out of the weather.

x.system
09-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Braaaaaaaappppppppp

Just took it for a ride, this thing is peppy. I havn't taken the tank off yet, looks like quite the job, I suspended an 85 tank with zip ties from the roll cage, no fuel pump required for this since the tank is above the carb. It fired right up but it doesn't want to idle very good, have to feather the throttle, maybe the fuel pump has something to do with this or the carb needs attention. I slapped it in drive and took off, seems pretty tight yet, took it down main st. a couple blocks and came back then slapped it in reverse, backed it back in the garage. I can't wait to open this thing up and see what its really got. The electric start needs to be fixed also, hopefully I can rebuild the starter instead of $360 for a new one.

84250r
09-06-2004, 06:20 PM
You will be surprised when you really take her out! Glad everything worked out for you. What was wrong with the R? The one you traded,anything? I need to get me one.

x.system
09-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Nothing was wrong with the R except it needed fork seals wich I disclosed with the new owner. I bought it from a member on this site before he moved across country. The R was in pretty good condition, motor was mint, had just been rebuilt before I bought it and I never rode it. Had new rear bearings, new chain and sprockets. I didn't put a headlight on it before the trade simply because I know hes going to put it on ebay, I just don't know if it will be whole or in parts, I imagine he will try to sell it complete, thats the way the rest of his machines are being sold. I added a pic of the R I traded. I feel it was well worth it for me, I had much less into this R than what he was asking for the odyssey and I still have 5 250r trikes.

x.system
09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
You will be surprised when you really take her out! Glad everything worked out for you. What was wrong with the R? The one you traded,anything? I need to get me one.

I might let one more go If your interested, or if you want to build one I have alot of parts if you want to do a frame up. Check out my classified add. This was not the project I am selling parts for, thats a bigger project. PM or email me for details.

84250r
09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Jim,

Pm sent.

x.system
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I just checked ebay to see if he had the trike listed yet, looks like he listed it the same day I sent him a pic of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2488434980