PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki LT 250r Quadracer crankshaft question

hondaATCman
09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Ok, Wiseco sells a crank/rod assembly that includes a new trued crank, a "Hot Rod" connecting rod kit, wrist pin bearing and inner crank webs. They say its for an '88-'92 model and I have an '87. I really want this kit and don't understand why its not listed for an '87 model because the tranny cases and transmission are the same, the cylinder is a little different on the '87 from the '88 and up..but they are the same stroke. Maybe the crank bearings are different, but I can order the '88 crank bearings and seals since the cases are the same. Does anyone know for sure this will work or maybe someone has already installed this kit on an '87 model? :confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

hondaATCman
09-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Well I just found out that the crank bearings and seals are the same for the entire 250 Quadracer series...even the '85 and '86 models. Why in the world is this not listed for an '87 model? I just don't understand!!

Wickedfinger
09-06-2004, 12:06 AM
... I command you to go to the horses mouth and ask Wiseco!. They will be more than happy to answer your question.

OldSchoolin86
09-06-2004, 12:29 AM
There were 3 different cranks:
85-86
88-92

Wickedfinger
09-06-2004, 02:21 AM
.... I don't know if this helps ... but I checked both Parts Fish and Ronnies online microfiches just for giggles - and they both use the same fiche and list the '87 through '92 crankshaft assemblies for the same price. The 85 - 86 part is different and considerably more money. Again, I say call Wiseco and ask them though.

OldSchoolin86
09-06-2004, 10:29 AM
.... I don't know if this helps ... but I checked both Parts Fish and Ronnies online microfiches just for giggles - and they both use the same fiche and list the '87 through '92 crankshaft assemblies for the same price. The 85 - 86 part is different and considerably more money. Again, I say call Wiseco and ask them though.

Parts Fish list 3 of them.
FG = 85,86
H = 87
IJKLM = 88,89,90,91,92

Wickedfinger
09-06-2004, 01:01 PM
... you're absolutely right .... but if you go into the actual fiches - its the same picture, and the price for the assemblies is exactly the same ..... like I said, be safe call Wiseco - Suzuki will be NO help whatsoever.

hondaATCman
09-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Actually, the crank on the '87 model is slightly different from the '88 and up. If you look at the picture real close, you can see the difference on the webs. But yes, they are the same price.

I knew Suzuki made three different cranks for the '85 & '86, '87, and '88-'92....but I was wanting to know why the '88 and up cranks won't fit the '87 since they have the same transmission, tranny cases, bearings, and stroke. I'll call Wiseco and ask them, maybe I found a hidden hop-up?? lol

OldSchoolin86
09-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I called Wiseco for you. I talked to Tyler in tech and asked why the rod worked from 87-92 but the crank only list from 88-92. He didn't know so he asked his boss. His boss said it will work fine but just make sure everything is fitting properly and if it didn't fit they have a 30 day return policy on them. Tyler then said it must be a typo.

As far as performace gains I dobt you'll get a big boost from a new crank.

As far as who got it right:

:Bounce Wickedfinger :Bounce

I saw the difference in the fich pic too. Unfortunantly it ment nothing. :(

Wickedfinger
09-07-2004, 05:40 PM
... I just saw that myself now (I opened two browser windows this time - which I probably should have done before) that must mean that Zuki may have found a problem with the old cranks and the '88 and up cranks were redesigned and can be used as the replacement (maybe the "webbing" difference is to strengthen the counterweights).
As far as who got it right:
...oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a contest. I'll just have to try harder next time so I can earn my "help or advice" wings.

OldSchoolin86
09-07-2004, 06:21 PM
...oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a contest. I'll just have to try harder next time so I can earn my "help or advice" wings.

lol, I think it was more me saying I was wrong.

Wickedfinger
09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
.... After rereading that I really didn't mean for that to sound so snotty - I was going for sarcasm. You can't really type in your "tone" can you. Such is life - next topic ........

hondaATCman
09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey, thanks guys!!!! A special thanks to OldSchoolin for calling Wiseco for me and Wickedfinger--- you've earned your "help & advice" wings a long time ago!! lol, I know its not really a "performance" mod...but I need to split the cases anyway and give a little check-up on everything for next year's race season. I need a new crank, rod, and bearings for it anyway and it was bugging me that this product wasn't listed for the '87 model even though everything was the same. I'm gonna send the cylinder off to get resleeved, bored, and honed with a new piston and rings. I'm also gonna have it ported by Duncan Racing. This new crank and rod assembly would be a great addition to this too!! Fresh top and bottom end ready for another season of abuse!!

Oh yeah, one last thing.... Are the 250 Quadracer's supposed to have 6 gears? Now this really bugged me last night because I've been racing with 5 gears (thats all I thought it had) but when I looked at the transmission microfiche, it showed a 6th driven gear! Maybe I misunderstood or maybe one of the shift forks is damaged or something??

Wickedfinger
09-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, one last thing.... Are the 250 Quadracer's supposed to have 6 gears? Now this really bugged me last night because I've been racing with 5 gears (thats all I thought it had) but when I looked at the transmission microfiche, it showed a 6th driven gear! Maybe I misunderstood or maybe one of the shift forks is damaged or something??

Holy crap, your kidding right?. 6-speed man - If you're racing MX though, it really dosent matter - you'd barely see 5th let alone 6th - lol. I had my '90 LT-R's motor rebuilt at Rossini Racing (R&R) out of north Jersey. They did a first class tear down total rebuild on her. Ported and matched it to. She ran like a raped ape.

hondaATCman
09-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Holy crap, your kidding right?. 6-speed man - If you're racing MX though, it really dosent matter - you'd barely see 5th let alone 6th - lol. I had my '90 LT-R's motor rebuilt at Rossini Racing (R&R) out of north Jersey. They did a first class tear down total rebuild on her. Ported and matched it to. She ran like a raped ape.

Oh my god...are you serious?!?! :twisted: I can't believe I have been running this thing with only 5 gears...hell, I thought it was the fastest thing around with 5...now I'll have 6!! Wooohoo!! :p :p :p Actually, I race just about everything...MX, Cross-Country, a little touch of flat track, and just a smidgen of dirt drags. Wow, that kinda pisses me off now...I should've checked that! Oh well, I'll split the cases this weekend and check everything out.

Once again, thanks for the help guys!!