PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Carriers..

md1985250r
09-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Need some advice people. I need a new bearing carrier and dont really want to spend the money for a stock one . Anybody ever use a "RAD" carrier , and if so what do you think of it? Thanks in advance for all EDUCATED and INFORMATIVE RESPONSES!!

GREG

sorry , I forgot to add the year of my machine . Its a 1985 250r. The reason I am looking to replace my old carrier is its worn out. The adjusting "teeth" are just about gone and the axle is starting to wobble a bit. A new stock carrier cost about $270. A new aftermarket "RAD" carrier is $135. I am looking for some advice and opinions of after market vs stock . As I said though, EDUCATED and INFORMED ... PLEASE THANKS

TheOlderFox
09-11-2004, 09:47 AM
What do you need a bearing carrier for? You might be able to pick up a stock used one.....since people here do sell parts. Are you looking for something new for a restoration?

atc86r
09-11-2004, 10:01 AM
There's a carrier with the grease fitting on the outside. Might be rad or lonestar. Looks great and greasing bearings will be easy. :TrikesOwn

OldSchoolin86
09-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks in advance for all EDUCATED and INFORMATIVE RESPONSES!!

With the info provided, it sounds like you need bearings and seals not a new carrier. As far as a RAD carrier they're good.

Oh yeah, be careful because if I remember right the 85 is different from the 86 and up Rs

md1985250r
09-11-2004, 12:04 PM
With the info provided, it sounds like you need bearings and seals not a new carrier. As far as a RAD carrier they're good.

Oh yeah, be careful because if I remember right the 85 is different from the 86 and up Rs

the adjusting teeth are shot.....yes 85 is exclusive..that i know.

thanks oldschoolin86. Have you ever used a rad carrier??

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-11-2004, 12:27 PM
a few months ago i helped a friend put one on his 86 trxR, rad makes real good ones, all the fancy grease fittings, double row bearings, a million times easier to ajust chain, he's been real happy with it, and its a real nice piece of work, he beats his machine bad and so far that bearing carrier hasnt even let the chain loosen, and its still shiny like new, as for comparing it to stock, the stock 85 has no grease jerk fitting, single row bearings, and the adjusting teeth suck majorly, double row bearings last alot longer and will hold the axle straighter through everything.

OldSchoolin86
09-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Have you ever used a rad carrier??
Yes, I had one for an 85 and I did like it.