PDA

View Full Version : Mower Motor problems

TrikeKid
09-13-2004, 12:40 AM
my friend picked up a riding lawnmower a while back for 10 bucks. it had an 11 horse b&s mounted in the rear and with the governor removed it would wheely all day. it had problems starting the other day and had been losing compression we finaly got it to lite up and after about the 3rd wheely it made a horrible screaching noise. so he set the wheely down drove back over to the edge of the lawn and shut it off now it doesnt turn over :( any idea how much this will take to fix? he knows quite a bit about taking these motors down fixing them and putting them together he just needs to know if its savable he has an un governed 3.5 horse that runs on nitro that he's going to try and mount for a temporary fix but i doubt it will wheely with that little motor.

rman
09-13-2004, 01:08 AM
i am not an expert but i do know a little bit i would say you seized her up they are not made to withstand that constant high rev wiithout the governor it controls the rpm while underload. if it is one of the older motors without the cast iron sleeve you could have melted the rings to the cylinder wall or the rod to the crank which is only an aluminum rod running on a steel crank just rebuilt one the rod was around 50.00 but anyway for 10.00 i would say he got his fun throw another motor on it and have fun wheeling

RMAN

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-13-2004, 07:07 AM
the motors are real easy to work on, if you tear it apart and tell me what you need for it, i'll give you a real good price on it all.

TrikeKid
09-13-2004, 08:29 PM
i would really like to know because he has an old MTD that needs some parts and he said if i find a motor i can have it.