PDA

View Full Version : Auto experts, I need help! How to remove distributor dive gear

Tri-Z Pilot
09-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I am putting an 88 cougar motor in my 84 stang because I blew the motor, which was a 5.0 by the way. I am switching the 88 efi over to my carb setup that I had on my 84 motor, and I need to use my 84 vacuum advance dist. The problem is, I have to use the 88 dist. drive gear on the 84 dist, because the 84 drive gear will tear up the forged 88 roller cam. I can get the pin out of the 84 dist. gear, but I cant get the gear off, how is this done? Do I need a certain tool? Any certain methods?

yamaha225dx
09-15-2004, 08:29 AM
you can try and use a chisel or a punch and drive it off.... be really careful though. the other way is to try and use a claw bearing puller.... try soaking it in some wd40 or the like and it might come off easier.... good luck!!!!

mbg75
09-20-2004, 12:10 AM
just so you know, the roller cam is hardend so you have to use a hardened gear on the dist or it will chew them up. the gear is held on with a roll pin that must be driven out. then the gear will slide off.

250rAL
09-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Uhhh... gear puller?

Derrick Adams
09-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Just letting you know, in case you haven't got it done yet, the 88 hardened EFI gear will not fit on your 84 dist shaft. They should be 2 different diameters. The EFI shaft is the same size as a 351 windsor. You can order a new hardened gear from FRPP for about $40, or the easier way is to go to Napa and get a distributor for an '85 Mustang GT with a 5 speed. That is the only one that will work. Only year of a roller cam with a carb. Must be a 5-speed, the auto's had CFI with fuelie dist. I just got one earlier this year for $55.

To answer your question, Tap out the roll pin that travels thru the gear and shaft then carefully tap the gear off.