PDA

View Full Version : Can't sell my 250R!!

Dirtcrasher
09-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Sorry to disappoint anyone but I am selling my 85 250R. I am the second owner and it is bone stock except the tires, grips, rear fender and a few other small items. Had been stored since 1989, the owner got killed in the Gulf war and I got it last year. I put a stock piston in it, changed every seal, greased everything, brake pads, water pump and rode it about 10 times. I was asking 2500$ or BRO in the WantAd and would take less but I haven't even had 1 call or picture request?? I guess noone wants ATC's around here (MASS)?? Yes there are lots of hopped up 250R's out there for about 1500$ to 1800$ but this one hasn't really been touched and has about the cleanest nicest frame I have ever seen on a stock ATC. I really hate to strip it and sell it on EBAY but I'll only give it another 2 weeks or so. All I can say is - I tried to save it guys!!!!!!

OldSchoolin86
09-17-2004, 06:31 PM
No offence, but It looks more like an 1800-2000 machine tops. I wish I had the money I'd make the offer.

freaksfix
09-17-2004, 07:31 PM
I put mine on ebay a few weeks ago and it was only bid up to $1350... For $1350 i'll keep it,,, o'well.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2488743793&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT

Dirtcrasher
09-18-2004, 10:24 AM
No offence, but It looks more like an 1800-2000 machine tops. I wish I had the money I'd make the offer.

No offense taken as I agree with you. Thats why is an "asking price" usually that gets some calls and people work it down from there which is fine. But although I gave my email address in the advertisement, noone has even asked for pictures out of curiousity. I feel like these new 4 stroke quads are killing our market.

I only felt it had a good value based on the quality of the parts. Nothing has been stripped or modified or painted. No mickey moused or missing or smashed with hammers etc. No chain through the engine or stripped kickstart gears. Sometimes machines that look better are not better at all but just money pits in disguise.

TimSr
09-18-2004, 11:02 AM
The price on strikes has steadily risen, and I dont think the 4 stroke quads are having any effect on the 3 wheeler market. I think they are two totally different marekts. I just dont think trike prices have risen as high as you are expecting. Im just not seeing any 3 wheelers normally going for over $2000 on a regular basis. If you're asking price seems way out of the ballpark, even most interested people will assume your'e not going to drop to their level, and you wont get the curiosity calls either. I'd suggest advertising it for the price you actually want as 'firm" so that people really have some idea what you want for it. You might also try selling it as a whole unit on ebay.

Mike Fort Laud
09-20-2004, 08:08 PM
How much do you really think you will get parting it out? $100 for the frame,$400 for the motor,$200 for all the plastic sold seperatly,$75 swing arm.$200 rims and tires. Then think of all the parts you will never sell or will list and only get a few bucks for. then you will have to immediatly ship all of those parts ,so 30 trips to the pack-n-ship.Even if you could make a few extra bucks is all that work worth it. I would devote that time in another direction. I could only see parting out a bike that is wrecked or not running so the only way to sell it is by parts. Sell the whole bike because it is in nice shape. Take the $1800 from one person then you are done with it.

twgranger
09-20-2004, 08:32 PM
with that price your not going to sell it.

ScottZJ
09-21-2004, 07:29 AM
I have to agree with Mike. In the long run I really dont forsee you getting much more than selling it as a whole. I just see alot more time and money spent on tearing it apart and shipping. I know cuz I did that to a Z and it takes time. But as with everything, its your trike and these are just our own opinions, so do as you see fit. ............peace

reload
09-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Have you tride listing the entire trike with more pics on ebay??
set a reserve price at like $1800 or $2000 if it makes you happy and just start the bidding at around $500. And if you have to pay a little extra for the listing on ebay, use all the little listings add-ons you can. Basicaly, for what i read, you really didnt try to advertise it very much.

Dirtcrasher
09-24-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm actually in no hurry whatsoever, if it sells quickly then great. But I will not take less than 2000$.

Parting it out may not get a hell of alot more but it will give me some parts for my SX's.

3 new tires and perfect gold rims
250R headlight and tailight
250R rebuilt front brake caliper and master for the SX
Toolbox
A rebuilt rear caliper and master cylinder for my chicks Blaster

And as for the motor - I'll part that out too. I'm not taking 500$ for a motor I just put a new clutch and 89 kit in 150$, piston 100$, kickstart gears 130$, water pump 40$. If the parts were just ok, I'd be looking for the usual auction amount but many of these parts are in the next to mint condition we all bid our arses off to get.

If I can sell 2 - 250SX rear ends for almost 800$ then I can sell this for what I want also.

skippy
09-25-2004, 11:39 PM
yeah here in maryland.. people are giving away 2 strokes also.. trx's are going for under 2k.. and not moving.. i feel the 4 stroke market is growing and growing.. you see everyone trading for 4 strokes, for racing and for fun.. i still have my r's and will always keep them.. they are a fun ride.. but nowadays the 4 strokes are the "in" thing and ALMOST keeping up w the 2 strokes! LOL...

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-26-2004, 12:44 AM
i made over 2 grand parting my R out and still have a big pile of parts left

84250r
09-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I just recently seen a liquid R on ebay at 2,000. I say be patience and wait for the right buyer. Seems like alot to part out machine,unless you have more time in world to do so.

Dirtcrasher
09-26-2004, 11:33 AM
I just parted an entire 1988 Toyota 4x4 truck in 3 weekends and it wasn't worth 300$.

I had about 50 auctions and made about 2000$

I work 4 - 10 hour days and have 3 day weekends every weekend. Time is not a factor.

84250r
09-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Then i dont see why your waiting.

83200e
09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Sounds like your minds made up.Part it out already.

HemiChallenger71
09-29-2004, 03:17 PM
I havent had good luck selling my 250R. I'm looking for the same price only my machine isnt as clean but I have TONS of extra crap to go with it. I'm not in a hurry to sell it either, and havent done a whole lot of advertising either. At any rate I refuse to part my bike out, or to sell it seperate from the other parts which I have. I wont do it because I'd rather seen it ridden than sitting in parts, and the extra parts that I have I want if I own the bike. If I dont own the bike those parts are useless to me and whoever buys it might as well have them. Like other people said just wait for your buyer, you'll find one, thats what I'm doing.

jenndnn3
09-29-2004, 05:18 PM
There is a BIG difference between maintenence(SP?) items, and performance items, that raises the value of things. This theory works for most everything you deal with right down to owning a home. Putting a clutch in is the exact same thing as replacing a water heater. Neither ever raise Values. But without each will cost you significantly in selling it. This is a fact of life. Sorry you are not bringing what you want.

Dirtcrasher
09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
I havent had good luck selling my 250R. I'm looking for the same price only my machine isnt as clean but I have TONS of extra crap to go with it. I'm not in a hurry to sell it either, and havent done a whole lot of advertising either. At any rate I refuse to part my bike out, or to sell it seperate from the other parts which I have. I wont do it because I'd rather seen it ridden than sitting in parts, and the extra parts that I have I want if I own the bike. If I dont own the bike those parts are useless to me and whoever buys it might as well have them. Like other people said just wait for your buyer, you'll find one, thats what I'm doing.

I'll wait for the cold weather and strip it down to nothing. Yes I would love to see someone enjoy it, but I don't even enjoy it. I will take my SX's over this top end rocket any day. Unless your on the pipe it's just no fun and by then your 10 feet higher in the air than you wanted to be. I should have got the 350X and not a 250R. Lots of fun for most people but I cannot get injured as I have lots to loose and although at times I like to launch, for the most part I prefer riding wheelies and just cruising around. Yep, it's a racing bike and I should have thought it through a bit more but just about every one of us has always wanted an "R" haven't we?? :)

YTZ250#1
09-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Why not hold on to it for another 10 or 15 yrs,then it should be worth the big buck.When I finish my 86 I plan on giving it to my kid when he is old enough to appreciate it.And my 86 Z will go to the other,if I don't sell it and keep the 85 350x instead.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-30-2004, 08:28 AM
good idea dirtcrasher, from my experience parting bikes out, they always seem to sell alot better during the winter months, i think its because everyone has there winter projects.

xd 200x
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
the owner got killed in the Gulf war

i bet he wouldnt have parted it out. just a though but dont kill it thats just bad moejoe. i hate seeing stuff striped and sold on ebay it kinda pisses me off.

Dirtcrasher
10-02-2004, 07:28 PM
the owner got killed in the Gulf war

i bet he wouldnt have parted it out. just a though but dont kill it thats just bad moejoe. i hate seeing stuff striped and sold on ebay it kinda pisses me off.

Alot of you guys take this stuff way to personal.

At least half of the trikes I have ever owned - about 20 - were in pieces and some of them started out as just a frame or a roller. I bought entire motors, or entire swingarms with differentials from donor bikes which got mine going.

What about being "original", does it really matter that these triple clamps came off this frame with that motor in it?? We've already found out these things are worth a meager 1800$ average. So what is the big desire for a complete machine with it's original parts. Makes us ATC lovers feel good but they just aren't demanding classics to that many people (sorry). In a nice restoration, an ATC250R part is a 250R part and swapping a few dozen parts from one to another doesn't seem to make them worth any more or less than an original.

Sure I'd like to see someone enjoy the whole thing but that will make me happy once and the only the new owner happy. On the other hand I can make 25 people psyched that they found a great part for there ATC that they have been looking for.

Some of us can't afford the 2000$ ATC but winning a mint rear caliper for 100$ may mean the world to us.

83200e
10-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Sure some take it personal,its a passion.Either you get it or you don't.The 250r is many peoples "dream trike" and you should expect some people to disagree with your decision to part it out.

Dirtcrasher
10-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Many of you will be happy to know that I sold it tonite for 2400$ cash!!! and didn't have to part it out. :beer

Some local saw it today after I had it advertised for 8 weeks and he had owned a couple in the past and wanted a stock ATC. He drooled over it for 10 minutes and offered my 2000$ and I said no that I would just sit on it. So we decided on 2400$ and it is now gone to a new happy owner. I would have taken a bit less but he gave it away with the drooling..... :Bounce

All I can say is - ALWAYS try and hold out for the right buyer as someone always comes along that has not done there research on prices etc.

I started it for him but he did not even ride it or wiggle the rear end or anything else for that matter. Not the way most of us buy trikes, but lucky for him it was a quite nice ATC. He was happy and I was happy and thats all that counts.

2400$ for a stock ATC250R, who was it that said it wouldn't sell for that amount??? :)