PDA

View Full Version : brake caliper ??

md1985250r
09-17-2004, 06:51 PM
can someone please tell me if the piston just pulls out ? the seals are leaking and i am not sure how to get the pistons out. its a 85 250r , if that matters. thanks GREG

jeswinehart
09-17-2004, 07:27 PM
normaly you take the bleeder screw out and put a air nozzle up agaist the hole as tight as you can and blow it out.
( keep fingers out of the way ,,, it really hurts when that piston slams against your fingers )
be sure to change the not so obvious small o-ring where the piston rod goes thru ,,,, it's in the caliper body where that little rod slides thru.

john

md1985250r
09-17-2004, 07:54 PM
thanks john, I got that piston out easily. as a matter of fact that little o-ring was the problem, but i figure now that i am into it i might as well change all o-rings. the other piston isnt going to come out as easily . any thoughts?? thanks GREG

jeswinehart
09-17-2004, 08:12 PM
maybe let it soak in brake fluid over night and crank up the air pressure.
they can be a real p.i.t.a. to get out sometimes.

john

TimSr
09-17-2004, 08:52 PM
I usually get them out with compressed air too. Sometimes it takes a lot of pressure. I wrap a rag around it do it doesnt shoot across the garage or end up sticking in my forehead. The other messier way, is to take the caliper off the mount, take the pads out, while leaving the brakeline connected, and pump them out with the brakes. Again, wrap it with a rag first.

Howdy
09-17-2004, 10:14 PM
With dual piston calipers you need to put the one back in slightly ( 1/8 to 1/4" )and hold it in with a C-clamp or simular tool. Then pressurize it again and the other piston should pop out.
Howdy