PDA

View Full Version : Please Help My Computer!!!

Dirtcrasher
09-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I recently bought the anti spyware and I bought the newest Norton copy yet I STILL have problems.

Spyware usually notifies me if software is being installed that I did not install. It asks me if I want to change my homepage or install a dialer and I click no and this has stopped most of the "software being installed without my knowing on web sites" problems.

Well, somehow the homepage got changed anyway and now it asks me every 2 minutes if I want to change it or keep it. And it just keeps asking and asking and asking. So it seems to me that "something" got installed on my PC without my knowing. And I cannot put it back to Yahoo as a homepage or it just changes back. Any idea how to find and eliminate this problem???

And even worse for todays fun, well somehow even as I tried to click "new thread" on 3WW it directs me to an "internet optimizor" or "coolsearch.biz" instead of going to the link I click on!!!!! It took my 7 tries to finally post this post and you guys are my only hope before a complete meltdown again.

I went to add remove programs and took out "internet optimizor" and shut down but although it is not on the list it still goes to that page.

They told me at BEST BUY that all I needed was antispyware and norton and nothing else but please will someone tell me what the hell I need to buy and install on this POS to stop these things from happening??

I do not believe this is a virus but rather software I don't want. How do I locate and destroy these files??

Billy Golightly
09-20-2004, 12:01 PM
which spyware program do you have? Some spyware removers are actually more spyware...

www.lavasoft.de is the home of Ad-Aware one of the best spyware removers there is.

Download it> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

There is also another one called SpyBot S&D that is very good.

Download it> http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-2

Also keep the software updated regularly. If it is not updated you might as well not even have it installed at all.

Dirtcrasher
09-20-2004, 02:23 PM
I have WEBROOT Spy Sweeper, it's 30 days old and cost me 30$.

I found the 2 files which are messing with me. It will not let me delete them and says that windows is currently using them and thats why they cannot be deleted. I'm gonna restart in safe mode and see if I can get rid of them that way.

Any other ideas in located the culprit files???

Thanks for the links!

Billy Golightly
09-20-2004, 05:40 PM
not really other then restarting in safe mode and running the spyware program then.

That or formatting it :D

OldSchoolin86
09-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Before you go reformating don't forget the basics, do a system restore to before this all started happening..