PDA

View Full Version : My take on the idiots on ebay.....

MO350X
09-30-2004, 09:45 PM
NO offense to anyone on this forum but I HAVE to vent, and I bet there are a LOT of folks who feel the way I do.

I've been a member on ebay since 2/00 and I have 100% positive feedback.

One thing that STILL blows my mind after almost 5 years: the absolute NO BRAINS bidding habits of what seems like 70+% of the folks that log on there. :mad:

Sure it's fantastic for the seller by sending the price through the ceiling, providing the buyer doesn't get cold feet and back out due to "winner's remorse" (bidding WAY too high just to "win")-which happens more often than you think. :rolleyes:

But why on earth would someone shoot themself in the foot and bid up an item.....for crying out loud people......THAT IS GOING TO MAKE THEM PAY MORE FOR AN ITEM THAN IT'S WORTH!!! JEEZ. :mad:

What are they accomplishing?
Do they think STAYING the "high bidder" is smart?
No, no it isn't......not when you've bid it into the stratosphere and the item still has MANY days left.
They're just guaranteeing themself getting into a bidding war with someone.

WOW......mental midgets.
Why oh why would they pay more for something that they don't HAVE to?

OR another scenario is: the seller has a list of "buddies" who "take care" of him by bidding up the item-called "shill bidding".
With the dolts who INSIST on being the "high bidder" bidding just to stay on top. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Don't laugh....I had a past business associate who used to do that with classic cars he sold on Ebay.
No, it's not right but it works and he made a TON of money doing it!
Ever see the "Private Auction" on an item or vehicle?
From past experiences, I consider that a GUARANTEE that something shady (shill bidding) is going on.

In closing: For Pete's sake, folks, wait until LATE in the auction to bid!
All you're doing, by bidding early, is making yourself pay more for an item than necessary. Plain and simple.

Sorry about the rant but I've seen SO many examples in the past and 350X parts are just the latest.
There is just plain stupid bidding (or shill bidding, one or the other) going on on there with regards to parts for them. :confused:

Thanks for letting me vent, folks.
I do apologize if this offended anyone, it wasn't meant to.
What do you all think?
Am I right?

ClayW
09-30-2004, 09:52 PM
I agree with you. Some people dont get it.

84250r
09-30-2004, 10:39 PM
NO offense to anyone on this forum but I HAVE to vent, and I bet there are a LOT of folks who feel the way I do.

I've been a member on ebay since 2/00 and I have 100% positive feedback.

One thing that STILL blows my mind after almost 5 years: the absolute NO BRAINS bidding habits of what seems like 70+% of the folks that log on there. :mad:

Sure it's fantastic for the seller by sending the price through the ceiling, providing the buyer doesn't get cold feet and back out due to "winner's remorse" (bidding WAY too high just to "win")-which happens more often than you think. :rolleyes:

But why on earth would someone shoot themself in the foot and bid up an item.....for crying out loud people......THAT IS GOING TO MAKE THEM PAY MORE FOR AN ITEM THAN IT'S WORTH!!! JEEZ. :mad:

What are they accomplishing?
Do they think STAYING the "high bidder" is smart?
No, no it isn't......not when you've bid it into the stratosphere and the item still has MANY days left.
They're just guaranteeing themself getting into a bidding war with someone.

WOW......mental midgets.
Why oh why would they pay more for something that they don't HAVE to?

OR another scenario is: the seller has a list of "buddies" who "take care" of him by bidding up the item-called "shill bidding".
With the dolts who INSIST on being the "high bidder" bidding just to stay on top. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Don't laugh....I had a past business associate who used to do that with classic cars he sold on Ebay.
No, it's not right but it works and he made a TON of money doing it!
Ever see the "Private Auction" on an item or vehicle?
From past experiences, I consider that a GUARANTEE that something shady (shill bidding) is going on.

In closing: For Pete's sake, folks, wait until LATE in the auction to bid!
All you're doing, by bidding early, is making yourself pay more for an item than necessary. Plain and simple.

Sorry about the rant but I've seen SO many examples in the past and 350X parts are just the latest.
There is just plain stupid bidding (or shill bidding, one or the other) going on on there with regards to parts for them. :confused:

Thanks for letting me vent, folks.
I do apologize if this offended anyone, it wasn't meant to.
What do you all think?
Am I right?

I have to ask,but what did you want to bid on? Some fool bid the price up?

cliff2302
10-01-2004, 02:59 AM
someone did that to me on a $2 air filter for a tecate, but luckily, i only bet $2 on it and it sold for $2.25. there were 2 others onfor the same price at the same time, so i'll bid on one of the others and get it for 2. screw those cheaters

daveds50
10-01-2004, 03:49 AM
yup... i've witnessed it first hand. however, sometimes it is a good thing... as i am the seller !

but i do know what you are talking about. idiots that bid $1 at a time until they beat the high bid.... then get outbid, and then start the processes all over. repeat till the auctions over. i actually had a $350 item with 101 bids on it !

for what i sell, there is an eBay market value that holds pretty true. i start every auction at 99 cents. does not matter if the eBay market value is $50, $100, $300, or $500+... it always goes to market value. in fact, i can predict whatever im selling pretty accurate.

sure, there is early bidders, but 99 times out of 100, those who bid on the first day, do not win. stupid people who think they are going to get a $500 item for $20... it's just not going to happen. i've actually had $500 items go into the last minute at $200... but im not worried. the informed know what it's worth, and snipe bid in the last 5 seconds. yeah, they are happy they got it for only $500... :)

i actually do not like it when it goes too high too early. less people save the auction in their "my eBay" however, only the serious bidders are left after that. once in a great while a serious bidder does get the price up to market value right away, and then nobody else bids and they win. oh well, i get what i expect no matter what, but it's nice to get more with a bidding war.

it's very rare that i get a non payer... i'd say 1 out of 200 decide not to pay... i know thats not normal though. could be a combination of my feedback, product and money back guarantee ? i dont know.

one nice thing about being a powerseller with perfect feedback for many years, is that i have a repeat customer base that is about 800 people strong. i do not need eBay anymore, however i do list at least $1000 a month just to keep my powerseller status. but what i put on there is about 1/20th of my business or less.

now i dont know how the 3 wheeler parts market is. my only experience in that section was a 200 es head that i purchased today for $9.99. :) i would imagine that some of the more rare trikes parts could go pretty high, as they are just not as available.

just for info, the 200 es head was purchased from eBay name: dadsteck ( who shows up on this forum member list ) he answered every e mail promptly, and even threw in a standard bore used piston for $3. yeah, i know... buy a new piston... but i decided just to get this thing running as cheap as possible. seems he has a lot of trike parts, and seems to be customer oriented. i'll leave a positive when it gets here.

anyway, MO350X, what is the average market price on what you were interested in ? you can do a search for what it is, and then check completed items. did you win ? was it over the market price ?

dave

daveds50
10-01-2004, 04:22 AM
someone did that to me on a $2 air filter for a tecate, but luckily, i only bet $2 on it and it sold for $2.25. there were 2 others onfor the same price at the same time, so i'll bid on one of the others and get it for 2. screw those cheaters

here is a tip... bid off the wall amounts... for example, if you see something that sells normally for $10-$12, bid $11.53 or something strange. there has been a lot of times where someone will bid $11.50, and i'll win by 3 cents.

even numbers are common. inexperienced people do this a lot. i dont think that i've sold or bought many things that were say... $50.00... most often it's a strange number. $51.78 or something like that. i'll bet thats what happend to you. $2 items increment by 25 cents. if i was the winner, i would have beat you out with a bid of $2.53... but since you only bid $2, i would have won with the $2.25 that it sold for. even if you increased your bid to $2.50, i still would have had you by 3 cents.

do you really need the filter ? if you do, it may be wise to bid more than $2 for it... im sure it's worth more, right ?

im not sure who you are thinking of as being cheaters... someone just wanted it more than you. and there may be other people waiting on the other filters that you are watching...

it's all a fun psycological game to me... :)
dave

MO350X
10-01-2004, 08:02 AM
I am one of those serious bidders who marks ANYTHING I see of interest in "My Ebay" and I watch it until bidding either gets out of hand or, if I'm lucky, the price is still fair at auction closing and I bid at the last minute.
BUT...if bidding gets out of hand or more than I think the item is worth, it's deleted.
Well, not always. Sometimes I keep an item marked just to see what outrageous money people bid something up to. :rolleyes:

Believe me, folks.
I am NOT a "tightwad" but when it comes to my cars and my trike.
But there must be a "Jay Leno" mentality prevailing, i.e. people will pay ANYTHING to get what they want.
Oh well! Great for sellers, bad for me.

I hear where you're coming from, daveds50.
I've bought and sold a LOT of stuff on there with great success.

Prime examples going on right now or closed in the last day:
350X parts-skidplate (stock with damage), toolboxes (not perfect or NOS), fuel tanks (decent, not perfect by any means).
The only item I could use is the skid but I'll wait.

Again, thanks for listening, folks.

cliff2302
10-01-2004, 12:12 PM
well, the filters are on all the time from the same guy and half the time they dont even sell, so i'm just going to snipe it this time. its not like like i need it tommorrow or something, so i'm gonna just wait it out and get it for $2, because i dont have too much money to be throwing around. thanks for the tips though, if i ever buy anything tat i'm serious about, i'll defiinitely do that.

MO350X
10-01-2004, 02:22 PM
well, the filters are on all the time from the same guy and half the time they dont even sell, so i'm just going to snipe it this time. its not like like i need it tommorrow or something, so i'm gonna just wait it out and get it for $2, because i dont have too much money to be throwing around. thanks for the tips though, if i ever buy anything tat i'm serious about, i'll defiinitely do that.

THERE you go!
Great plan.

Wait until the end and snipe.
NONE of us have money to throw away.

Best of luck.

daveds50
10-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Prime examples going on right now or closed in the last day:
350X parts-skidplate (stock with damage), toolboxes (not perfect or NOS), fuel tanks (decent, not perfect by any means).
The only item I could use is the skid but I'll wait.

Again, thanks for listening, folks.

yikes ! i just did a search on those items, and you are absolutly right... they are pricey...
however, i also did a completed auction search, and it seems they go high no matter what... maybe thats the market price ?
although i'd love to have a 350x, im really glad i have a 200 es... there are a lot more parts available, and thats probably why they go so cheap... could also mean that nobody wants a 200 es though... :)
well, good luck. hope you find one for cheap.
dave

OldSchoolin86
10-01-2004, 02:44 PM
God bless the idiot! They're fine with me because they make me more money.

MO350X
10-02-2004, 07:31 AM
God bless the idiot! They're fine with me because they make me more money.

Just like I said before...."great for the seller, bad for the buyer".
I wouldn't turn away the idiot's money, if I were you either.
If they're silly enough to spend that way...more power to the seller! :)

That's alright, I've had PLENTY of great deals on Ebay in the past.
But they've ALL been car related.
This trike thing is a whole different world.

rman
10-03-2004, 08:44 AM
i am a constant seller of mainly street bike parts its just a matter of the right people at the right time. sorry to say but i'm a sniper if i want something and it dont go out of my range i'll bid with only seconds left. it's been done to me it's just part of the game. yes it makes me mad when it happens to me but another one will come up eventually. on the parts i sell i've had stuff not sell and very few watchers but i will wait and relist a few days later and it will go outrageous. but as said before good forthe seller bad for the buyer later and good luck everyone in anything you bid on

later rman