PDA

View Full Version : 200sx front master cylinder rebuild

ATC350X 85
10-01-2004, 09:43 PM
I rebuilt the frontmaster cylinder on my 86 200sx because no matter how long i bled the brakes and kept re-bleeding them all I got was a spongy lever. So after rebuilding the master cylinder I still have the same problem, any suggestions? I may try some more bleeding but I think Ive had enough.

Tman00169
10-06-2004, 01:40 PM
thats has disk brakes right?... then mabe there is something wrong with the brake caliber.

ATC350X 85
10-06-2004, 08:38 PM
No it has drums all the way around hydraulic in the front and cable operated in the rear

TimSr
10-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Huydraulic drum brakes need to be adjusted frequently. Thats what the little hole with the rubber plug is for in the side of the drum that can be easily accessed witha flat blade screwdriver. If youve not had them apart before, I would suggest removing the wheel, and drum just so you can see how it works. Unlike a car, there is an adjustment on each side of the wheel cylinder, which you want to adjust the same amount of turns and keep somewhat equal so both shoes wear evenly. The shoes should be adjusted as far outward as is necessary to allow them to lighly rub the drum. Hydraulic drum brakes work extremely well, but you can expect to need to readjust them very often.

ATC350X 85
10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
That was the first thing I addressed before doing the rebuild on the master cylinder. I removed the adjusters and lubed them and cleaned everything up. After attemping a quick bleed of the brakes i thought the master cylinder was bad so I went on to rebuild it with the same problem. By the way I like that picture of Kerry. Bush-Cheney '04