PDA

View Full Version : big wheel dirtbike

BigReds Forever
01-06-2003, 12:53 AM
i want you guys's opinions on this. we all know that fat cats are rare, right? Well, heres the plan, take a trike, posibly a 200x, and make a bike out of it. i would use the stock swing arm and cut it off about 6" past the swing arm berring, eliminating the need to try and 'make' a perfectly round shaft to bit in the berrings\frame. then i can build of that. thats all the 'for sures' i got. my main prob is the hub, a front trike hub would work but would it take the torque and abuse of being the drive wheel? A drum brake, although not preferable, would probebly have to be used unless someone can come up with a way to mount the disk AND caliper inside the rim. for the sproket some sort of jack shaft would have to be used, (i think). then all i need is a fender. if you guys can think of anything else that would cause a problem, let me know. also if someone has done this, post some pic's. I wont be doin this for a year or so cuse i have to fix up the truck and buy my 250R but i wanna get some blueprints together. i got acess to one hell of a welder (ask howdy), pipe bender and lots of other stuff (not a mill though =(. the main reason i wanna do this is cuse i want a big wheel db. and trike parts are easyer to find that fat cats or bw200's. + this will be fun to do :-D

ATCRYDER
01-06-2003, 01:05 AM
You already know I dotn like the idea from last nights Chat ;0)

but if youre gonna take the time to do it----------do a little homework. Get all the measurements you can on the honda dirtbike swingers...XR's, CR's, XL's.

And I really hope youre signature doesnt include a redneck spelling on "Nigger".

If it's to expensive to fix, niger rig it. Wire ties are a mechanics best friend.

MT350X
01-06-2003, 02:59 PM
I have saw a couple 250R's that have been made into bikes. Never got to see either of them up close but one that was at the dunes was going pretty good!

ATC crazy
01-06-2003, 05:33 PM
My grandpa had a 250sx converted into a dirtbike once. Don't ask me how he did the shaft drive but it was one of his geinus mechanic masterpices. It looked pretty funny w/ 1 tire on the back and the origional fenders though.