PDA

View Full Version : stay clear of this misleading auction

mike from long island
10-07-2004, 10:16 PM
i read the complete auction and i was under the impression that i was getting a complete honda service manual. a genuine honda service manual. i didnt i got photo copies. first off thats illegal and second i could have done that myself. i just wanted a maual for myself. 200xman has one but we dont share well lol anyway i filed a complaint with ebay because i dont want anyone else to get sucker. could have been my lack of edumacation lol

ClayW
10-07-2004, 10:28 PM
If its the same guy I got my Big Red manual from hes a piece of work. First off as you said, its a photocopy. Second it took the A-hole 2 weeks to ship it to me and he lied about it. The postmark doesnt lie. What a fool. :mad: Sorry you had similar problems Mike.

MO350X
10-08-2004, 07:39 AM
BUT...I KNEW I was getting a photo copy version and this guy's auction stated it.
The copies are just fine and I only paid a TINY fraction of what an original manual costs (originals no longer available).
Since aftermarket manuals are no longer available, either.
I prefer factory anyway.

My copies came with three holes punched for a 3-ring binder which is MUCH easier than man-handling the binding on a little aftermarket manual while you're working on the trike.

The fella I used was "andrewslarge" on Ebay.

Who did you guys use?

whiteman350x
10-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Hey guys, go to helminc.com they reprint manuals for just about everything including the 350x. These are the people that make then for Honda. The 350x one is listed as available. Hope this helps.

freaksfix
10-08-2004, 09:05 AM
I ran into the same problem last year, it was when the factory "set up manuals" were coming up on ebay. I paid close to $120 for 5 of them. When i finally got them 4 weeks later and he over charged me on shipping by $10.00 they were photo copies. I wrote the seller a nasty email, and he did the right thing and gave me my money + shipping back. Then i left feedback warning the other buyers...

Mike tell him you want your money back.........

83200e
10-08-2004, 01:17 PM
I saw the same thing for a ytm manual,but it stated it was just copies from a service manual.Seems like he wanted $12. for it.

Glenn J
10-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Serive Honda still offers the manuals. I got a brand new on for my 200X for $32. I just had to wait out the two week lead time.

I really wonder why people sell these things used on E-Bay for $40+. WTF?

mike from long island
10-10-2004, 08:39 AM
sorry guys i forgot to post the link :rolleyes: i got in touch with the seller he says he will refund my money but i have to send the photo copies back. so tomorrow they will be in the mail. if he follows through ill leave a neutral feedback. and read the descritions a little better and ask more questions. it was just very misleading to me. he should have stated in big letters PHOTOCOPIES!! and i would have not bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7926130276

ClayW
10-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Yeah, that andrewslarge is the guy that took 2 weeks to get me my manual for the Big Red. I knew it was a copy though. Guy and his wife lied and lied and lied about when it was put in the mail. Then he said he was 50 miles from a post office. Jerk!! Give me a break.

KASEY
10-10-2004, 03:04 PM
yep same guy that got me,,,,,, gotta read the small print and don't look at the pictures!!!!!

tecatemantodd
10-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I just won a 350x factory service manual on ebay for $11.01.......I re-read the listing and it states that it is a used manual with no torn pages.

AirManCam
10-10-2004, 11:12 PM
BUT...I KNEW I was getting a photo copy version and this guy's auction stated it.
The copies are just fine and I only paid a TINY fraction of what an original manual costs (originals no longer available).
Since aftermarket manuals are no longer available, either.
I prefer factory anyway.

My copies came with three holes punched for a 3-ring binder which is MUCH easier than man-handling the binding on a little aftermarket manual while you're working on the trike.

The fella I used was "andrewslarge" on Ebay.

Who did you guys use?
Same exact thing with me! I figured hell, its all the same crap for $14 just not in color, im getting the same information..I put it in a 3 ring binder, and keep it handy at :beer all times

86250RZ
10-11-2004, 04:47 PM
He must have changed the description because it's obvious that it's a copy, he mentions it twice, once up top and in bold letters at the bottom.

AirManCam
10-11-2004, 05:41 PM
He must have changed the description because it's obvious that it's a copy, he mentions it twice, once up top and in bold letters at the bottom.
Thats the exact same description as when I purchased mine a couple months ago.

The_dew_man
10-12-2004, 02:17 PM
wow that was close. i was thinking about bidding on the manual of the 350x that mike had a link to on ebay. i read the Description and didnt even catch the word "copy" . thanks mike. just have to order one from a dealer.

Billy Golightly
10-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Guys, www.helminc.com for all your honda service manual needs :-)

andrewslarge
01-04-2005, 04:21 PM
If its the same guy I got my Big Red manual from hes a piece of work. First off as you said, its a photocopy. Second it took the A-hole 2 weeks to ship it to me and he lied about it. The postmark doesnt lie. What a fool. :mad: Sorry you had similar problems Mike.
Hummm. Running me down again? The truth. This item was received by the buyer ClayW exactly 7 days from when it was paid for. That is not too bad a timeline on shipping. I usually get it there within 3 days!! The truth. This item was believed to be shipped on Thursday by my wife when in fact is was shipped on Saturday after I realized it did not get shipped. There was no lie. A full refund was offered and FREE SHIPPING was given. Oh we forget to mention this important piece of information....FREE SHIPPING for being late. Remember folks there are two sides to every story. This piece of work delivers high quality copies of honda shop manuals for fellow restorers and has HUNDREDS of positive feedbacks. If you were unhappy the item could have been returned for a full refund!!!! Please always tell the whole story and not just part of it God Bless

andrewslarge
01-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks to MO350X and AIRMANCAM for the postive recommendations!!!!
You guys rock!!!
I have tried and tried to find rare honda OEM shop manuals for my project bikes.
It sometimes takes years.
I know how hard and frustrating it can be when the Haynes and Clymer books let you down. These trikes are over 20 years old and I do love to restore them!!!!
Again, thanks for your recommendations.

Quickonstep
01-04-2005, 05:39 PM
no offense to the guys that think they got "burned", but they really didnt.. right at the bottom of the auction for mikes from long island it says

"This is not a CD-R. This is a hard printed copy of my original manual" its in bold letters... this is a hard PRINTED COPY of my ORIGINAL MANUAL.....

I dont see where that is misleading at all.. and i understood it perfectly. Sorry yall didnt get what yall wanted, but in the auction that mikes posted, its perfectly clear, and i dont see fault on the seller at all.

Just my 2 cents

Jesse

renotrikeguy
01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I hope I get my manual soon from Andrew.. Want to get out and fix a few things on my BigRed.

BTW Andrew this is Chris (KA7CJH)

mike from long island
01-04-2005, 10:33 PM
i will admit i misunderstood the auction. but in fact what he is doing is illegal!!! bottom line it is copyright infringement. if he is profiting off what he is selling,without the publishers permission, then it is wrong. also why cant he just say you are recieving a photocopy of his manual?? saying you are recieving a hard copy is misleading. i thought i was getting the same copy as in the picture he posted on ebay. i have bought CD. but it was my own fault for not reading the entire description. i read his entire descrition and was under the imprersssion i was getting an orginal manual.

one thing i will add is he did refund my money no questions asked. this to me is very fair.

one other thing why does he have some private auctions also???? i dont understand why he would hide facts to ebay users? very strange

bigredhead
01-05-2005, 03:26 PM
are the factory manuals in color? the clymer and haynes manuals have a color cover but the pictures inside it are all black and white , and most times hard to tell specific details.

and yeah.. advertising " copies of the original " .. hmmmmmmm that don't sound right?

AirManCam
01-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Factory manuals only have a color cover also,the rest is black and white.

Dan Tenn
01-05-2005, 05:52 PM
are the factory manuals in color? the clymer and haynes manuals have a color cover but the pictures inside it are all black and white , and most times hard to tell specific details.

and yeah.. advertising " copies of the original " .. hmmmmmmm that don't sound right?

Sure sounds to me like its a copy of the original, not an "original". Not sure how you guys assumed it was original.

twgranger
01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Sure sounds to me like its a copy of the original, not an "original". Not sure how you guys assumed it was original.
Thinking the same thing.

Scubapro5
01-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Wow I don't think I would have caught that it was a copy but those of you that did receive a copy was it done professionally and how much cheaper than a new one was it?

I need one for my Odyssey.

AirManCam
01-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Wow I don't think I would have caught that it was a copy but those of you that did receive a copy was it done professionally and how much cheaper than a new one was it?

I need one for my Odyssey.
It was a copy that was done real nice, and had 3 holes punched in it for a binder. I dont see what is so bad about the guy selling copies, I say stop your b!tching becuase I got mine for $15 shipped, where I would of paid $40-45 for an original that only has a front cover.

a-camp
01-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I have one on the way.Andrew sorry for the slow Pay Pal though I Payed or lost on everthing I was looking at in DEC.

bigredhead
01-05-2005, 09:56 PM
oh i totally understood that it was a copy.. that's not what i meant by that comment.. i was rather refering to the legality of doing this.. pubilcly at that !!!

smokey
01-05-2005, 10:05 PM
For 1/2 price you still get all the same info, I dont see whats so wrong with that

AirManCam
01-06-2005, 10:35 AM
oh i totally understood that it was a copy.. that's not what i meant by that comment.. i was rather refering to the legality of doing this.. pubilcly at that !!!
I think you should stop complaining man, your bike breaks, you dont know how to fix it so you go buy a manual, you going to pay $15, or $40..haha what ever man, its your choice.

TimSr
01-06-2005, 10:49 AM

You are absolutely right, that it is illegal without written consent from the publisher. Im surprised ebay didnt shut down the auction, but it apparently got by them. If its a discontinued publication, they may very well give you permission to copy it, but if its not a discontinued publication, they may very well prosecute if you blatantly do it in the open. I wont get into the morals of whether or not copying someone else's product for resale is right or wrong, as I can see both sides of that issue, but if you do it openly on a forum such as Ebay, you are painting a bullseye on your head, because its very much illegal without consent from the publisher.

Dan Tenn
01-06-2005, 12:24 PM
You know it may be illegal, but I'd rather give my money to Joe Blow then to those publishing pricks. I've still got a score to settle with them after about $5000 in college text books that arent worth a nickel two years after there printed.

seadoo650
01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I got a service cd for my computer and its just like the manual. It is a backup copy however, not the original. Worked fine.