PDA

View Full Version : whats the cost of living in california?

TRI-Zbrian
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
i gues this is for the guys/gals that presently live in california...

well i have alwase wanted to live in california.... so now that i am graduated i want to start saving up cash to make the road trip out there to hopefuly find a job and a place to live..... any way i will have my own car for transportation (86 iroc-z) that i will be making the long hall in... i live in northern ny so it is going to be a pretty good drive there....

pretty much i need to know what im getting my self into by wanting to live there and eventualy going there and what i am going to have to be ready for before i go..

also i was born in las vages navada and then my mom moved to northern ny when i was like 3 so i have been there before but wasnt old enouph to remember any thing obviuosly....

any way i am set on this but i just need to know about how much money i should bring with me to survive untill i can get situated there.... are jobs easy to find in california ? also ill be about 21 when i make the move.

i was thinking about finding a colledge to go to down there so i can use my student loans to get me there and ill have a place to stay for a good couple of years and in the mean time while im attending colledge illget to know the area, find ajob and all of that... does that sound like a good idea.

i have alwase wanted to live in a place ware you onlysee snow on the discovery channel if you know what i mean and since i was like 8 years old i have wanted to live in cali.... also a plus would be Glamis, Pismo, death valley and all of the bad ass places i will be able to go rideing.

Mr. Sandman
10-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Your income and the cost of living are pretty much relative. If you make good money, you'll tend to spend more on living it up and vice versa. It also depends on your education and what you do or want to do for a living. You did nail one thing though, the beach, desert & mountains/snow are all within an hour or two drive from most places in the state. Plus we've got the Terminator aka Arnold! :beer

cliff2302
10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
you mean the governator?

TRI-Zbrian
10-13-2004, 07:19 PM
yup thanx for the advise... ill def be making the trip there with in the next year or so..... im not leaving till i have a running tri z to go with me though :beer

NOS_350X
10-14-2004, 01:56 AM
It also depends on where you move to, nor cal, bay area, centeral cali(fresno) or so cal. Nor cal and centeral are going to be by far the cheepest to live the bay area is outragious and souther cali its do-able. Ask exact questions and youll get answers. Diffrent areas have diffrent minimum wages,(i think) in centeral cali its $6.75, just so you can find out wether money is more or less over here.

mywifeknowseverything
10-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Pretty sure minimum wage is the same all over the state...But NOS_350X is right....Depends on where you want to live how much it cost..

As far as Being ready to come out here..
Find a property management business in the place you want to plant yourself and have them give you an Idea of what the costs are for Rent, Power, Gas, you know the Necessities....Then, Save up at least 2 or 3 months worth of Rent and utilities just to get you buy incase you don't find a job soon..(If you need a job,,,My wife can get you one..That is what she does), She has offices all over CA,,,,When you are settled...Look me up.,..We will go to the Beach!!!!!!!
Good luck,,,, Hope this helps...

Enigma
10-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I wanna get outa California. The weather is nice but its not worth it. I live in San Diego gas is $2.50/gal, rent for a 2 bedroon apt is $950 and up per month, and most entry level jobs around here only pay $8-10 and hour. Thats not enought to pay rent and gas and everything. But if its something ya really want to try I hope you have more luck then me.

tecatemantodd
10-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I pay $1700 a month rent(damn that *****, I need to buy a house) for a 3bed/2bath townhome but I live in Aliso Viejo in southern Orange county. You can definitly live cheaper than that though. What do you do? or want to do as far as work? That can make or break you here.

mywifeknowseverything
10-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Good Lord!!!!1700 a month!!!! All my bills arent that much...My Mortgage + Ins.+ Taxes a month = 784.00 and I built my house 3 yrs ago...3/2 2 car Garage...I do have some friends up here that pay that a month for thier rent but they have lake front prop. in a Gated Community...My Brother in Law is almost 3 times that in Hollyweird....But he can afford that.... :D

TRI-Zbrian
10-16-2004, 10:16 PM
i as of right now am NY state certified in 2 and 4 stroke small engine repair wich i got done in high school .... but now i want to go on to colledge and get into some type of a high performance engine course of study.... i eventualy want to maybe work on high performance bikes/cars for a living but if i had my pick id rather work on dirt bikes and 4 wheelrs..... i am not talking ruteen maintinance i meen high performance emgine builds and stuff along the lines of that..... its goign to be a long hall but thats the field i am realy intrested in it weather there is money or not init out in cali is the problem.... also when i get there i want to get into racing some of what i build....

durring high school i took every tech class they offered .. i know that doesnt say much becaus ets just high school but i hope imgiving you the idea of how much intot his stuff i realy am..... i litteraly think about this stuff ALL the time well girls too because there is alwase room for them in the thinkign process....

but anyw ay that is what i want to get into hopefully it will happen for me....if some of you older guys ever watched me work on these bikes and cars id bet ud be a bit surprised at what i can do and the knoledge i have already...

but yeah that is a jist of ware i am at right now.... and yes i know it will probably be hard to live out there but i hope to over come that and get set straight when i do get out there.

TRI-Zbrian
10-16-2004, 10:26 PM
also what are soem good colledges in cali i should look into is something i realy need to know asap so i can look intot hem becaus ei want to go to colledge there.... i hope there are soem good tech colledges there for meto go too.... any way yeah what are soem good tech colledge to go too...

im thinkign that way i wil be going to colledge and ill also have a place to stay at the same time and while im attending colledge i can get to know people and learn my way around instead of just driving there and not knowing ware im going at all and just hoping i find a place to stay.

also remember guys i was born in Las Vagesand lived there till i was 3 .... so i did live in the area ounce apon a time.... so i am pretty much making my way back .... one way or another i will make my way back but to california instead of vages.

TRI-Zbrian
10-17-2004, 09:45 PM
i i have chosen to go to Wyotech in sacramento CA..... tomorow i am going to get the paper work and start applying ..... wish me luck guys :beer

so one more question i guess for you CA guys..... whats sacramento like? :Bounce

mywifeknowseverything
10-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Its big and Full of People....A nightmare to get around in..I hate going there period....I live about 45 min. from there....Which is getting a little crowded too....Some people like that kinda thing though....There certainly is quite a few riding areas to go to if you like the dirt....Hope I didnt scare ya too much...Just one Mans opinion....Look me up when you get here....Never rode with another Z before.... :cool:

TRI-Zbrian
10-17-2004, 10:34 PM
i def will look you up man... and yes liek said before my tri -z is coming with me together or not... i will prolly have to finish it there because right now i am putting all my money into my camaro to get it ready for the like 3000 mile drive there.... lol but yeah i will def want to meet up with you CA guys that will be in my area to help me get used to the area..... and yes i am very much so looking forward to check out all the bad ass ridng areas

lol ill be renting one of those U-HAUL trailers and toeing it (the tri-z) behind my camaro.... and as soon as i get there im taking the ugly ass hitch back off the camaro lol :Bounce

mywifeknowseverything
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
When will you be out?? Do you have a place to store your Bike??? Details....
If you need a place to store your bike for awhile my garage or my Toy Hauler will be open to ya...Also,,If your not into the SAC. thing....There are alot of nice little towns that skirt the Sac area....Check them out....

TRI-Zbrian
10-17-2004, 11:12 PM
i PMd you..... i will def be getting in touch being i dont know anythign about the area i am goign to be moving to and you seemto know alot.... thanx for the help man....

mywifeknowseverything
10-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Here are a few online papers of the Local Area....Very Close to sac...Within like 30 -50 miles
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/
http://www.auburnjournal.com/
http://www.sacbee.com/

This should give you some idea of what it will cost to live here....Rent and such....Also, Gas,,,,,up to 250 a Gal. in some places here....Just gotta watch for the good deals....

TRI-Zbrian
10-17-2004, 11:15 PM
gas is like 2.15 a gallon here so it wont be too much of a change.....also thanx again man for the info.... wyotech is suposed to be calling me i a day or two on the details..... now i have to start filling out my financial aid and things like that.....

i def if it is still possible when i go will take you up on stroing my tri z at your place baus eim surei wont have a place to store it when i get there...

Yardbird
10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Moving to Suckramento......yuck!!! You will be really far from the dunes and the weather isn't the greatest. I just moved outta San Diego and really don't miss it. Crowded, overpriced and the nearest riding areas are 1.5 to 2 hours away.

TRI-Zbrian
10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
well i dont realy car lol just as long as im in california and wyotech looks like a realy good colledge... anyw ay today i filled out this FASFA sheet that will get me soem aid in paying for the colledge..... also i talked to my guidence councler and she said that my livign cost are couculated in with y student loans to help me start out because you have to get your own apartment because there are no dorms to live in.... but thats cool caus eill be able to be that much more free to do what i want.....

but any ways i guess this is def going to happen so i will be getting in touch with you mywifeknowseverything when time gets closer....

TRI-Zbrian
10-19-2004, 12:32 PM
this is the path i guess im going to be taking .... i got this off of another forum i visit... www.thirdgen.org

any way they told me for my car its goign to cost me ruffly 300$ in gas and take a little more then 48 or so hours of driving to get there or about 4-5 days with breaks and all that...

never mind ont he pic it wont go through it says... "invalid file"

also one other question guys... whats the weather like in the sacramento area?

mywifeknowseverything
10-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Summer= HOT
Spring= Beautiful
Fall= Great
Winter= Time to hit the beach and Ride....Gets cold here but not bad...Only an Hour to the Ski Resourts and even less just to get to the snow....
Its Good all around.....